Author Topic: What if I bought real meat bones and boiled them?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
What if I bought real meat bones and boiled them?
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:49:34 am »
My dogs love to chew,bear loves the real marrow bones but they are expensive.At the grocery store I was looking in the meat section and I can get beef bones,like ribs or thicker beef bones alot cheaper.I do not want to give to them raw being concerned of the germs from raw meat left in his crate/floor,what if I bought the bones and boiled them?would this work?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: What if I bought real meat bones and boiled them?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:57:09 am »
Only give him raw bones and only the ones that are too large for him to swallow whole.  I give my dogs their raw meat and bones, that they are going to chew up and swallow outside.  The bones that they are just going to chew on for recreation, they get in the house.  I have been giving my dogs raw bones as long as I have had dogs, 20 years or more, and I have never had a problem.  I wouldn't particularly want chicken bones all over my house, but I don't worry about beef or pork.  Ribs are great to give your dogs, because the bones are soft enough that they actually eat the whole thing, not just chew on it, if they are big enough to chew it up.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:57:35 am »
Hi,

Cooking the bones is not recommended, once cooked they tend to splinter which can be harmful to your pup!! On the germ thing, it is more a people issue than a pet issue!! Dogs are carnivours and eat raw and decaying meat all the time. So he'll have no problems with raw bones at all.

When your dog is done chewing wipe the area and all shuld be fine!

I get marrow bones from the butcher for winslow 3 0r 4 at a time and they last him weeks!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:53:39 am »
Ok,Glad I asked,I didnt think about the boiling them would cause them to splinter up :o

The beef rib bones I have seen arent the narrow ones they have the short fat ones.

I use the clorox spray that is safe around food,pets.etc..sounds like the lysol you are talking about.

I wasnt worried about him,I know they can eat raw, I was worried about bacteria left from the meat in his crate or on him getitng to me or the family :P

I think I will get some;Also,how much can I give him,1 bone a day a week etc?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:38 am »
Hi,

Just like Jenn said keep an eye on the back end!! Your pooch will never turn a bone down but the Marrow can be VERY rich and cause some blow outs!!

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad