Author Topic: Calling all Saint people...Where to buy a quality Saint?  (Read 11584 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Calling all Saint people...Where to buy a quality Saint?
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:01 am »
Hubby wants a Saint Bernard when we move onto our new property(more room)I am partial to the pyrs and will have another but hubby is a big saint lover and wants me to find him one.I have scoured the internet looking for breeders,I am in NC so finding one here would be better being we would like to go and look at them but not opposed to out of state and shipping one.We will not be ready for a pup for about a year but would like to get all my info gathered and ready.
He owned saints when he was younger and has a love for them.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Saint people...Where to buy a quality Saint?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:57 am »
I'm sorry, I don't know any Saint breeders, but I wanted to suggest that you contact St Bernard Rescue in your area.  They should be able to give you a list of good breeders in your area.  Also, I'm sure that they have some adorable, sweet Saints in rescue that would love to meet you & Bear.  Who knows, maybe you'll find the new family member that you are looking for in Rescue.  We did and we're so happy!   ;)  ;D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:39:37 am »
I can just tell how I found my breeder.
Go to shows near you (travel distance possible for you as flying saint pups is not an easy task) and find which stud dog you like. For example, I have very personal likes/dislikes, but show titles just helps to find some quality on top of your own gut feeling (I'm sure this stage can be done on internet).

Then do the research on pedigree, and - most important - previous litters sired by dog that you like. (Great dog does not mean always that his /her children are great as well.)

Then - try to find parents and grandparents of the dog, and find out how are they now (HD test is important thing, but there are also ton of illneses that dogs can pass to offsprings, so if his father is already died from cancer as well as most of his littermates, I would not get any further on this dog).

Then go around to collect gossips about the dog you like, and his breeders... Stand close to judge table (or better, table where the club officials are sitting and keep ears on guard - you will be surprised how many things you can hear there!) and so on... :D All gossips, bad or good, helps you to prepare for the right questions when you will be at that stage.

Then try to meet him and owners, talk with them, try to work out dog's personality and temperament and all that. Then find out has he had sired not so far away and any litter is expected, then repeat the whole research on the bitch that he has (or will) sired.

Or do the opposite and start with the bitch and work on the sire that she has been sired (or even better - will be sired).

For example, I like only full mask LH boys, so anyday now the boy that I like most, will sire the bitch that is owned by person, that I'm calling my breeder for nearly a year now. Then I will need to wait until I will know if the mating will take (the previous didn't) and then, when puppies will be born, another 2 weeks to see is there any LH boys in the litter.

The dog that I want to be father of my pup, has sired a dam already which I do not like (on top her HD score is D, not good at all)... So I better will wait and bite my nails :D

This is on top of basic research - all health tests to be done for at least few generations like hips, elbows, eyes and so on...

I would really start with confirmation/show rings to find what exactly I want to see in pup...

All this is because I want a possible show dog. For example, for my first saint many many years ago I had just one but very strong requirement - perfect temperament (I had small children at home and needed extremely friendly dog, without any possibility of beheivior issues, and I got one exactly that I wanted). 

If you are looking for "just a perfect dog" and can afford the vet bills then rescue is an option as gut feeling is the only important thing :) I have one resce at home now, complete foster failure, she is complete mess if we talk about breed quality, but such a sweetheart - all love, pure saint in heart! 

http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:46:46 am »
Thanks for all the advise and responses,I will check out the recues as well,We do want a pup though.

I am not interested if the dog is of show quality or not,just good sound temperment and nice build and of course health certified.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:07:06 pm »
Show quality pups at least have pedigrees and (at least in my country) must have all health certificates and also the temperament is known for at lest few past generations.
Rescue, a pup or adult, usually is a big lottery ticket as most likely there will be no info about pedigree/health certificates and all that stuff. That is why I wrote - if you can afford vet bills (my experience says that with rescues vet bills usually pile up much faster). But the love they give in return is worth much more!
There is also another suggestion - maybe you can find a pet pup from good breeder like with minor failure (like he/she has pedigree and all that, but, for example, mask is not just right - much cheaper than promising show quality pup, but you can get at least puppy from known parents with all the health/temperament history behind. 
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:41:34 pm »
Show quality pups at least have pedigrees and (at least in my country) must have all health certificates and also the temperament is known for at lest few past generations.
Rescue, a pup or adult, usually is a big lottery ticket as most likely there will be no info about pedigree/health certificates and all that stuff. That is why I wrote - if you can afford vet bills (my experience says that with rescues vet bills usually pile up much faster). But the love they give in return is worth much more!
There is also another suggestion - maybe you can find a pet pup from good breeder like with minor failure (like he/she has pedigree and all that, but, for example, mask is not just right - much cheaper than promising show quality pup, but you can get at least puppy from known parents with all the health/temperament history behind. 

Thats sort of what I was thinking,maybe a pup that didnt make the cut for show..I dont want to pay show quality pup price when I know he will just be a family pet.

I have nothing against getting a dog from the rescues or the pound,BUT when you are talking a dog this large I take no chances being I have a small child at home(7)and other dogs and cats...I rather get a pup.We got our Cocker from a rescue and he bite my son from day 1,we almost sent him back but we decided to keep him and just watch and change some situations to work around it,,,its been 4 years later and all is well but even today we watch our son when around buddy.So a pup is a must for the Saint,to large to take chances.
Tigger-barn kitty

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:23:55 am »
You've definitely gotten a lot on this issue, but I want to chime in, too.

I whole-heartedly endorse a rescue dog. I totally understand what you're saying about getting a pup and moulding and shaping it and all of that.

However, I have never EVER EVER gotten a pup. All of our dogs have been full-grown rescues. I'll tell you that they've all been wonderful, WONDERFUL additions to our family, and we didn't have to deal with the potty training, chewing, etc.

He's not a purebred dog (unless you agree with me that Chewfoundland is the best new designer dog!  ;)), but those BPOers that have met Cabeza would have to agree that he pretty much rules hardcore. He was rescued from a shelter at 1 year of age, and we've had him 8 years. He's truly the most amazing dog I've ever met, and I've met a lot of them.

I'm just saying that a young adult rescue can often be a joy to have.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:04:55 am »
I am glad for the advise and its great to see that people are passionate about rescues,I am a volunteer for a local pyr rescue group that tries to inform people before getting the dog to consider if its right for them before acquiring the pup/dog to long term avoid the needs for rescue groups.I do not foster the dogs myself being same reasons i stated but I help them find fosters and or homes and on the finacial end when in need.

I havent owned a puppy since 1991..I raised Dobies and labs back in the mid 90s and in 91 was when I purchsed my first pups,since then its been all older dogs for us,I swore I would never have another puppy ::),I like the grown dogs already trained :D..etc..We adopted Buddy at 4 and he is great,we Got max at age 3 and he is great,he was a stray to a friend that took him in then gave him to us when she no longer wnated him...Bear is my first pup in a long,long time...So I am all for Rescue and older dogs BUT in certain breeds,,just IMO a pup is the only way I would go.I will however check out the rescue and see if there are any pups available.
Tigger-barn kitty

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 04:56:00 am »
"So I am all for Rescue and older dogs BUT in certain breeds,,just IMO a pup is the only way I would go."

Hmm...I'm kind of confused here. Are you saying that a Saint is only adoptable as a pup? Interesting. What are your reasons for that?

We had a rescued Saint, Suzie. She was actually rescued by the mom of one of our lovely BPOers...anywa y. She was a FANTASTIC dog. I think she was about 5 when she was rescued. I fostered her and she now lives with my attorney, his wife, their children and grandchildren. She's seriously amazing. Sweet, gentle, obedient. That is one dog that had a serious impact on me for life.

I'm just wondering if there is some type of across the board reason why any particular breed doesn't do well being adopted as an adult?

I mean, for example. I know that Chows don't do well. But the reason is that they become EXTREMELY attached to one family and have a very difficult time bonding to another. I've also heard that its nearly impossible to rehome a Caucasian Ovcharka for the same reason. But these are dogs that have been bred for their territorial protectiveness .

A Saint, on the other hand, was bred to rescue strange humans in extreme conditions. Being aloof is not part of a (well-bred) Saint's temperment.

Just curious as to why you say this!!!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:56:41 am by Nicole »

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:51:49 am »
I am saying for me and my family a dog of that size we would feel better in starting from puphood,I am sure there are wonderful,loveable full grown saints to adopt.

I have to consider that I have a male Pyr,when grown he may not accept another male grown dog very well,so for that reason and the reason I have already stated is why I would not adopt a grown saint or any grown dog at this point,not with a grown male pyr on board.(he is not grown yet but will be by the time we are looking into getting hubby a saint)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:55:54 am by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 06:04:21 am »
Ohhh, ok. I thought that you were saying that it was a particular breed. My mistake, sorry!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:49 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted but I would start with the national parent clubs breeders list http://www.saintbernard.org/breeder_ref.htm

Then if after speaking to a few of the breeders I felt good about one or two I would go meet them in person.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 02:27:58 pm »
Like Heather (Shangrila) we also lost a very young dog and she also came from a breeder.  Halley was just a little over 2 1/2 y/o when she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma and I later found out that there are many cases of cancer in her bloodlines.   Halley came from a well known breeder and I'm embarrassed to say how much we paid, but it was well over $1,000.  We thought that we were doing the right thing to buy a puppy from an established breeder, show lines, etc. & we trusted what the breeder told us about longevity in her bloodlines.  It just goes to show how important it is to talk to many people in the breeder's immediate area to find out the true story.  In the months after Halley's diagnosis the vet bills, medications, costs of special foods, etc. were astronomical, but we tried so hard to save her.  Strictly from a $ cost standpoint, her 3 short years  :'(  were very expensive, but that wasn't what was important.  It's been almost 2 yrs now since we had to send her to the bridge & I still cry sometimes.  She was a huge part of our family & losing her was truly heartbreaking to all of us.  Cass was rehomed to us & Sam came from rescue both last year and so far, we've only had vaccines & dental cleanings, plus 1 UTI (Cass), 1 tooth extraction (Sam) and a few odd check ups b/c their mom worries.  ;)  ;D  ::)  Though Sam probably has HD (& we'll find out soon), we'll never know how much of that is due to breeding or the awful abuse & malnutrition that he suffered in the past.  Given his condition when we met him & his past, we definitely *knew* that was a risk when we adopted him, but we wanted to give him a home & he's just precious so we were willing to take that risk.  Like many rescues, Cassie is much younger & was well treated in the past, so she's in excellent health.

I'm sure that you'll make the right decision for your family, but I just wanted to tell you our experience.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

I have to consider that I have a male Pyr,when grown he may not accept another male grown dog very well,so for that reason and the reason I have already stated is why I would not adopt a grown saint or any grown dog at this point,not with a grown male pyr on board.(he is not grown yet but will be by the time we are looking into getting hubby a saint)

If you end up with a male pup, you'll have to consider that they just will not get along as adults.  My two grew up together and were always great with each other.  Then one day my dane attacked our mix boy, we had to work with them to make things better again, but they will never be trusted to be alone together.  It takes alot of effort to do this and not everyone can handle that.

I hope Jo doesnt mind, but I am going to use her as example. She has two males that got along as pups and now cannot be in the same room together.  It will mean death for one of them. Sure she brought one in as a pup and they were fine, but as grown adults they want to tear each others throat out.

I guess what I am saying is, you'll have to be very careful even with a pup (same sex that is).

I have 3 males now,1 (max)he is 3 he is neutered,Buddy he is 8 he is not neutered and then Bear.Our cocker Buddy gets neutered march 4th due to dominace issues that i dont want to arise between him and Bear.I think if left unneutered then yes the domince,territorial issues come into play but being neutered has helped with all of that,Max and buddy get along great,1 is neutered and 1 is not(until March 4th)
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 09:02:30 pm »
I will comment on the rescue issue as well,even though I strongly support my local rescue.
We aquired our Cocker Buddy from a rescue for English Cockers,he was temperment tested..the lagist..

good with kids,gets along well with other dogs,doesnt like cats,housetrained,leash trained.

All was true EXCEPT he bite my son from day 1! we did decide to keep him anyway and have altered some things to work around that between him and my son,to this day Buddy is 8,we have had him 4 years and given right situation he still WILL bite my son.In the rescue they cant temperment test but so much,they live with a foster with children..all is well...BUT children all different,some dogs may get along with some children and dislike others..I have found this to be the case,you cant say because your dog you are fostering gets along great with the children there that they will others.So with a dog of that size(a saint)to large to take the gamble with my family(child) and other pets.Sorry if you dont like my opinion but thats what it is,no disrespect intended.Not knocking the rescues at all,like I mentioned I support them with all that I can they do there best to test them for right homes but sometimes it doesnt always work out that way.
Tigger-barn kitty