Author Topic: I need your help...  (Read 32800 times)

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I need your help...
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:05:15 am »
I'm torn between a Rottie and a Bulldog.  My wife and I plan on buying in August and we have found a breeder for each that will have pups at that time.  Can you tell me what to expect from a bulldog in regards to temperament, health, etc?  Any info would be great!

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: I need your help...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:31 am »
Thank you very much for your opinion.  I've done a ton of research.  I just like to get opinions from this board from those that own or have been around them.  Trying to decide is driving me nuts!  LOL. 

I figure I can get actual feedback on owning a bulldog.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:08:25 am »
What type of bull dog are you looking at? I'm a certified mutt lover, so I'd say, find a great bull/rott mix and have the best of both!!  ;D

Some friends of mine have an american bulldog, and she is a doll. Really good girl and family oriented, protective of her home and people. She has needed some work on manners outside of home. Particularly when it comes to playing nice with others - again, she's protective. However, that is stuff that either of those breeds will need extra help with. And for that matter, MOST other breeds need that help as well!! I have not been the least bit helpful - sorry! Hang in there, though. The Rott and Bully experts on the board are sure to post soon!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:16:36 am »
If you are speaking of an American Bulldog I love the breed.  I had two when I was a teenager.  They are great with family but are gaurd dogs. 

They will naturally bark at people that come to the house and as with any dog wou would really need to socialize from a puppy like we did.  They are pretty healthy dogs.

We unfortunatley got ours from a Backyard breeder and both dogs died at 6 from genetic heart problems.  they were Brother and sister.

I have a friend that has a male and a female. Her female is a little on the aggressive side but she wasa rescue from a man that fought his dogs.  She is great with people once she gets to know them but ify until then.  The male is a big love. 

They actually laugh becasue right up the road from their house is a school and he gets out and goes to visit at recess. 

Her kids will come home with him and tell their mom all the games he played with the kids.     
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline cbull76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:18 am »
I'm looking into an English Bulldog.  Sorry for not being clear!  ;D

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:47:36 am »
Hi, im a proud bull dog mum!!! Dont know much about rotties. They are beautiful, but i have never lived with one. I have had two bulldogs, and many bully breed friends. HMmmmm... similarities ,  1. strong. Physically and emotionally  2.very cuddly 3. need alot of exersise (dont believe that couch potato stuff about eng. bulldogs. some can be super active) 4.intelligent ( so much so that they can pretend not to be, to get what they want :))5.funny   funny   funny dogs  6.uninformed people are often afraid of them so they can sometimes be unwelcome :(  7. resiliant!!!
 There are a lot of bullies in need of good homes. I know you said you have a breeder, but maybe a quick peek at the homeless bullies , just a look ;D. Thought i would give it a shot.   Anyway good luck and much love to whatever dog you decide upon. Brooklily's mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:29:56 am »
Well since you said that you both like both breeds and have found acceptable breeders get one of each ;D

That might be too much for anyone though..

I can't tell you much about bullys but I had a Rotti for 11 1/2 years and he was the best..

They love their families..need strong dicipline.and lots of love..if they know the rules they never forget..and are a great deterrent..

I love them all though as you can see sm medium and large
Good luck making your choice and by all means keep asking lots of questions..

You could if possible visit the breeders and their dogs and get a sense of what you really want as well..

Tricia and the fur kids