Author Topic: How to keep feet White?  (Read 9477 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
How to keep feet White?
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:07:41 am »
I dont know how!!!!!  I have to wash Baxter's feet almost everynight when he comes in from his long afternoon in the backyard. 

I get home from school at about 3 and the dogs are begging to go out.  They go out from 3 until about 5 or 5:30 then we take a walk at 6.

His feet are black after only about 10 minutes outside.  It is getting harder and harder to keep washing his feet with my growing belly and aching back. 

I would just leave his feet the way they are but we have very light carpet all throughout the house and with a baby on the way I am trying to keep everything as clean as possible. 

Any suggestions?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep feet White?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:17:28 am »
I dont know how!!!!!  I have to wash Baxter's feet almost everynight when he comes in from his long afternoon in the backyard. 

I get home from school at about 3 and the dogs are begging to go out.  They go out from 3 until about 5 or 5:30 then we take a walk at 6.

His feet are black after only about 10 minutes outside.  It is getting harder and harder to keep washing his feet with my growing belly and aching back. 

I would just leave his feet the way they are but we have very light carpet all throughout the house and with a baby on the way I am trying to keep everything as clean as possible. 

Any suggestions?
You could use dog shoes  ???
I don't really know...I wash Lily's paws every time she goes outside, in the backyard or walk :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
When Jake gets his feet dirty, I rinse them with the water hose.  He lifts his feet, one at a time and I rinse them off.  I have a rug at the back door and he walks across it.  By the time he walks through the kitchen into the bedroom, where the carpet is, they are dry enough not to be a problem.  I used to walk the springers around the steps of the pool to rinse theirs.  I kind of like the boots idea.  Could you take old socks and put over the foot, with a clip or something at the top.  You would still have to bend over though, twice to put them on and take them off.  Sorry, I don't have any good ideas.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:21:29 pm »
No baxter is very well trained i nthe since i tell him his feet are dirty and he runs and jumps in the tub.  Pouting the whole time of course but will stand and let me wash them.

Thanks fr all the info

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:43:06 am »
I keep babywipes at the exit door :D I wipe feet when they come in IF its nasty or muddy,not everytime,but the babywipes work great.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:20:26 am »
If Baxter has really furry feet (I'm sorry, I can't remember his breed) then you could use trimmers to trim the fur off of the bottoms of his feet.  We live in the NW where it rains most of the time right now & we keep the hair trimmed off of our dogs pads.  We started doing it primarily to give Sammy more traction on our wood floors b/c his furry feet were making him slide around, but we've found that it decreases the amount of mud, pine needles, etc. from being tracked in, also.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:07:20 am »
haha It is alright Baxter is an English Springer Spaniel and has all the Feathering on his legs.  I try to keep his pads as short as possible. It just has been raining here alot for th pst couple of weeks and it seems like if there is any mud for a mile it will be on his feet feathering and underbelly

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:31:52 am »
haha It is alright Baxter is an English Springer Spaniel and has all the Feathering on his legs.  I try to keep his pads as short as possible. It just has been raining here alot for th pst couple of weeks and it seems like if there is any mud for a mile it will be on his feet feathering and underbelly

Awww, I love E.S.S.'s, I bet he a cutie.  Since you're already trimming his fuzzy, furry feet then the only other thing that I can think of is to give him some clean deck or porch area to walk off the worst of the mud before coming inside.  You know, something easy to hose off.  ;) You're right, it's not going to be easy once you are farther along with the pg, but hopefully the weather should be improving some by then anyway.  At least, I sure hope so...I'm sooooo ready for spring.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:46:58 am »
With "Spring" up here - then comes MUD! MUD!!! & MORE MUD!!! :( I keep huge piles of towels out in the mud room. Also a pan of water by the back door. The Guys know the routine. I tell the 'HOOF'! & up come the feet one by one. In the pan. Then the toweling. All 8 of them.  :-\

But I think that'd be a bit too much with Baby on the way. Do you have a spot to place some washable carpet runners by the door till paws & feathers are dried out somewhat? I buy inexpensive runners at Pamida for around $10.00 each. They're easy to wash/dry & nice to have at least 6 on hand on the MR floor.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:19:08 am »
Yea we do have a deck but for some reason it jus tsticks to him and doesnt come off.  We also have a long piece of carpet that stays at the backdoor so when they walk in they "wipe" their feet. 

I will try the bucket idea.  I mean if nothing works I will stick with what I am doing now and just wash his feet whenever they are bad. 

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:58:32 am »
Yea it is.  Luckily today when were went for our evening walk, we walk around a 2 acre pond and he decided to take a drink and his paws got wet and all the mud and dirt was mostly off by the time we got home :)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 07:32:34 am »
Wow, light colored carpet, dog feet, and now a baby.  I admire your stamina.  We had all the carpet removed in our new house.

How about dog boots?  www.inthecompa nyofdogs.com  D64-046 or D75-018
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline jezebelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:11:51 am »
I use the baby wipes trick.  My Dane has three black feet and one white one... which is how I know *exactly* how dirty the others are :)