Author Topic: Agressive Saint Bernard at 5months old???  (Read 9836 times)

NYbigdog25

Agressive Saint Bernard at 5months old???
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:29 pm »
Ok I had a question...I have never owned a saint before and love my Charlie very much but last weekend a friend of mine and her husband came over and Charlie lunged at him teeth and all, now I also want to add that it was their fault and not charlie's because when he backed away from them they kept trying to make contact. But yesterday my daughters teachers came by and he was growling and backed away from them until we sat down to talk and even then he sat between us almost like he was watching them. He will also start barking very aggressively if he hears a loud noise and it's hard to get him to quiet down. I do have children and I'm not sure if I should get a trainer or something I don't want to get rid of him  just wondering what my next step should be. Any help or opinons would be great and I'll keep everone posted!

Oh yeah and sorry this was kinda long!

Thanks!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Agressive Saint Bernard at 5months old???
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:14:45 pm »
just an fyi for you, that when a dog backs away he is fearful, he needs to be socialized more than he is right now, by going to a class with other dogs and people it will help out. Also by going places with him more often.  You are the only one who can protect him, so it is your responsibility to tell these people who he is scared of to back off until he is ready to say hi to them. 

NYbigdog25

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:04:58 am »
Thanks everyone I will defintalely sign him up for the next obedience class and also try the other suggestions as well! I knew yall would have some good suggestions! Thanks again!! Dayna and Charlie!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:31:55 am »
We took in saint 9 mo old with fear agression - she was frightened of all people, children included. Barking, growling, backing into the corner... Now 3 mo later she is a social butterfly loving all people - pure saint.
We just did 3 things:
1) people around and inside our house were asked to ignore dog at all - not pat her, walk past her and even not looking at her. We even did not  treated her as our other dogs are really happy to see any visitors, so she was sitting in the corner and learning, that people are great fun.
2) At the same time she was constantly told off for inapropriate beheivior like barking.
3) socialization, socialization and more socialization outside house - we took her to city, used public transport, went to shops... If savvy people asked to pat her, I let them to do watching her like a hawk, and she actually learned just in 2 days that people are not dangerous. On the second day I allowed even an old lady with a walking stick (our dog was really abused and beaten heavy as a pup by elderly lady) to pat her and she was ok! Praising, encouraging, and strict no for wrong beheivior did the job.

All will be ok in your case. 5 mo old is that difficult time when they all are getting a bit strange, just ask as much friends to come in as you can. He will quickly get the idea that more people mean more fun!
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:00:13 am »
That was a really good point, that there is a window for socialization that is closing fast.  There are lots of great ideas mentioned here that need to get done now.  Please don't wait for that next class without doing those other things  too.

Five months is a weird age for sure.  They are adjusting between their place in the pack as a pup and where they will fit in as an adult.  Most of the dogs belonging to other people that I have trained had problems that started at this age.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline normansdad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:36:08 pm »
I just wanted to add...

My big guy Norman went thru that phase too.  Hang in there.  I TOTALLY agree with what has been suggested previously on the thread.

We were fortunate to have a neat area in our neighborhood with a very diverse mix of people.  The 'high street' has coffee shops, dry cleaners, a senior citizen's apartment complex, a children's dance studio, grocery store etc.  We would go for coffee with the dogs and sit on the patio, exposing them to strollers, cars honking, other dogs, small children (which we do not have in our home, but have as neighbors) senior citizens with walkers, canes, wheelchairs, motorized scooters etc.  Such a fabulous opportunity for a pup!  Norm is not fearfull of any of those things.  Most of the time when he was little, he'd lift his head to see what the commotion was about, maybe a Woof or two, and then relax.  Now he barely lifts an eyelid to see what is going on LOL!  People loved meeting him at that age, so he was exposed to many pets from strange hands too.

Try some classes, stay with your routine for not jumping on visitors etc, and get your pup out in the world to learn and be less fearful :)

NYbigdog25

Re: Agressive Saint Bernard at 5months old???( an update!!)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:23 am »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and I also wanted to update and let everyone know Charlie is doing great! The training is fantastic. He's still a little shy but not anywhere near like he was before! I'm hoping to get some new pics soon!

Dayna

Offline BandRsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Its the Dogs Life
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 01:58:53 pm »
Great news... Everyone made really great and important points.  Training and socializing have to be the two most important aspects of building a happy well adjusted saint.  You will be very happy you too the extra time and spent the money on training when hes 3 years old and 150#+

Best of luck to you.

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 03:21:46 pm »
I think this is why Petco does so well in our area, we go EVERY Saturday ... not because we need anything but because there is such a great mix of people, dogs and especially people who love dogs!  Ozzy thinks it's great fun and that's my plan ... plus I always buy him stuff ... tee hee!!!

I have two other dogs who we never socialized ... I understand the importance of it now and will make sure Ozzy gets to know ALL KINDS OF circumstances, people, places and fun things!!!

P.S.  Your St. B is ADORABLE!!!
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 05:01:42 pm »
 :DIF YOU READ THE SAINT BERNARD BOOK, THE FIRST THING TELL YOU IS GET YOUR DOG OUT MEET PEAPLE,WE USED TO GO TO LOCAL PLACE'S,AND SHE WOULD GET A LOT OF ATTENTION,GO TO PET SMART WALK YOUR DOG AROUND WHILE SHOPPING,IT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF AGRATION,HE IS DOING THAT DOE TO HE HAS NOT MEET SO MANY PEAPLE ONLY FAMILY MEMBERS,GETTING HIM OUT IS ALSO ATTENTION,FOR YOUR DOG ALL NEW SMELLS,MEETING DIFFENT PEAPLE,SAINT BERNARDS ARE LAYED BACK DOGS BUT IN BEGINNING THEY NEED ALOT OF INSURANCE,AND LOVE,NEVER LEAVE A PUP HOME ALONE FOR TO LONG,HE WILL BE VERY CLOSE AS HE GROWS,TRAINING CLASSES ARE GREAT TO TO JUST GET OUT AND MEET OTHER PEOPLE,GOOD LUCK,HE WILL BE FINE,OUR MAGGIE WAS LIKE THAT WHEN VERY YOUNG BUT ONLY TO ME,SHE DID NOT WANT TO BE IN THE KENNEL,OH SHE USED TO BITE ME SO BAD,I HAVE SCARES,BUT SHE IS 4 KNOW AND A SWEET HEART,KNOW MOLLY WE A REAL SAINT SHE ONLY CHEWED ALL THE FURNITURE,CAME HOME ONE DAY THE CHAIR LEG ON THE FLOOR,SHE ALSO IS LIKE A KITTEN KNOW AT 3! I HAVE NO REGRETS,MARYLEE! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :-*
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 05:04:54 pm »
THIS IS MOLLY KNOW THREE!!LOVE'S  SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!