Author Topic: Update on Spike  (Read 6842 times)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Update on Spike
« on: August 01, 2005, 10:27:26 am »
Well I just got back to work Spike was in the hospital till Sunday. He had a small obstruction still have no idea what it was there was some string in it the vet told me but I have not seen any myself. And I was told when I was picking him up that he most likely has kennel cough cause he is still coughing and his nose is still running, they said if he is still coughing in a week bring him back. I am going to wait till Thursday and then I am taking him back. I do not understand why they did not take care of  it while he was there. Anyone have any ideas on why they would not take care of it then? Cause I am stumped!
I felt so bad having him stay there for those 3 days I felt like I abandoned him needless to say I did not sleep very well. At first they were saying he might need surgery to get him unblocked thank god it did not come to that I would have had a nervous breakdown!
Well I have to get some work done before I get fired. I will let everyone know when I take him back for the cough. If he is still coughing in a few days.
I want to thank everyone for their help and good thoughts for my Spike. And sorry for not being able to get to a computer to update sooner My boyfriends computer has somesort of virus.
Rachael and Spike

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Spike
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:34:28 am »
I am so glad that Spike's obstruction is clear. Yeah! As for the kennelcough- maybe they just want to see if he will get better on his own. Like maybe it is not that and is just a regular cold and will be all better when he is home with his mom and dad.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:34:52 am »
Poor Spike. :'( Glad to hear he is going to be ok. Very stressful for you though. Everything will be just fine ;) I think they just like to see if KC will clear up on its own before giving antibiotics. We always get the KC vaccine when we have the yearly check up. We get it because you never know if you have to kennel your dog in an emergency-around here they will not take your dog unless it has had the KC vaccine.
A speedy recovery to Spike. Let us klnow how he makes out ;)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 10:36:37 am »
No they just said if he is till coughing in a week bring him back that is what I do not understand! Why not give him something while he was there instead od sending him home still sick and have to bring him back. Like I said I am giving a few days and I am bringing him back I don't care what they say. How serious is kennel cough? I heard it was just like a common cold. Even so if he can be givin meds Iwant them why make him stay sick for longer than he has to?
Should I find another vet?
Rachael and Spike

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 10:39:03 am »
Ok  so it is normal that they want to wait. Sorry I guess you all were posting as I was and I did not see your posts. I guess I am just a little over protective now.
Thank you all again
Rachael and Spike

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 10:42:58 am »
Rachel- we are all over protective when it comes to our babies. At least you have tons of people here who understand and are just like you though huh?  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 10:44:09 am »
Better to be safe than sorry . Nothing is overprotective when it comes to the fur babies.

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 10:48:13 am »
Thanks it does feel nice to have some people who understand a how I feel. It does feel like home here.
I forgot to mention he lost like 10 lbs he looks so skinny I just want to feed him (I am Italian I get that urge from my grandmom LOL) but they said to give him like cottage cheese and baby food for a few days. then start back slowly with his reg. food.
Rachael and Spike

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 11:23:36 am »
I'm so glad to hear that Spike is going to be okay!  :)  We had a bout of kennel cough a few years ago that really worried us.  Our vet had us wait it out too, and it did clear up fairly quickly.  We're sending all our best wishes Spike's way for a speedy recovery!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 02:18:59 pm »
I kept checking BPO all weekend for Spike updates, too! I'm glad he's OK - except for the cough and sniffles. You're a great dog mom!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 02:37:26 pm »
Glad that Spike is OK!! I wuldn't worry about the kennel cough, it is only a problem when secondary infections occur. Antibiotics won't take the KC away, it would be like us taking antibiotics for a common cold. Both of my dogs have had it, and they are fine!! Hutch did have to go on some antibiotics because he started to develop an infection due to it, but he was very malnourished when we got him and this contributed to his immune system having a harder time fighting the viral infection. Both of our guys were vaccinated for KC at the time. Kennel cough can and will infect dogs that have been vaccinated, there are so many strains of the virus, and the vaccines do not cover all of them. For this reason we do not vaccinate our dogs for this anymore (a personal choice, I don't like over vaccinating). However we have never boarded our dogs, we always have someone come to our house to care for them.

I hope his cough gets better soon!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:06:37 pm »
ohhhh I am sooo relieved to hear that Spike is doing okay. I know it is hard to leave them there, but you have a lot to be thankful over too. He did not need a surgery to remove it. But I know what you mean though, I am like that too, and when any of our dogs has had to stay at the vet. I debate with them until they let me visit my dog, several times a day, and when Hercules had a nipple he had to pass, well they gave him a big cage bottom row, so I could get in there and sit and snuggle with him, and if I was real quiet they kinda forgot about me lol...... I even had a plan to maybe be able to hide and stay the night with him hehe.

Kennel cough is just like our cold, I think I posted this on your other thread about him. Kennel Cough can come from both viral and bacterial sources. Most likely it will go away by itself, but they think it speeds the recovery up a bit if you treat with antibiotics to directly kill the Bordetella organism. Which is the bacterial form of KC. But most vets like to not give antibiotics if it is not absolutely a must, since they too, aswell as the MD's are struggling with the resistant bacterias and dont want to worsen the situation. And ther is always a little risk that the KC is viral (10-15% are). If the cough is real bad, they can give a cough suppressant to help out while recovering on his own. Or sometimes they give both. But it sound like a smart plan to wait for a few days, I am sure you will see improvement by then.

Give Spike a big kiss from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 07:32:24 am »
Thanks everyone.
I do not have a dig. camera. And the only pics I have of Spike is when he was first brought home when I use to have a camera phone I tried once before to post them but I don't think it would let me lets see.
I tried again and this is what I got:

Spike1.bmp.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are jpg,gif,png,wmv,swf,mov,avi.

I think I am going to buy one of those throw away dig cameras at least I will get a disc when I get them printed. As soon as I can I will post them.

Oh and at least I can describe him he is brindle with merle on top but the tan under his stipes and splotchs is very light almost like a fawn color not dark like ummm Sanity and he has a small white patch on his chest he is a pure breed but he is mismarked thats okay I never planned on showing anyway. he is uncropped and has one white nail on every foot when all the rest are black. he back is a little under my him now he is not very thick till he lost the weight while he was at the vets he looked more like a underwear male model then a body builder but I was told he will get thicker once he stops growing taller.he is very silly and still thinks he is the littleguy I brough home and still trys to hide under the kitchen chairs but now he just moves them instead of being able to go under them and he can hardly fit under the table anymore he hits his head everytime but has not stoped trying yet. He does not look reagel or anything right now he just looks like a goofy boy.
Oh and his full registered name is "Sir Spike the Gentle"

Rachael and Spike

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 07:42:26 am »
You can post the picture.. Here's how

1. Open Spike1.bmp picture
2. click file -> save as
3. change the file name
4. in the drop down below the file name it says 'save as type'
5. select JPEG File Interchange Format (*.jpg, *.jpeg)
6. click save

now your picture will be in the correct format.  It should now allow you to upload it here.   :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 07:56:30 am »
ok I tried with one pic lets see if it works.