Author Topic: Traveling with your big paw - any advice?  (Read 12268 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Traveling with your big paw - any advice?
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:45:38 pm »
Hi all!  Jeff, the kids and I are going to Niagara Falls for vacation in August.  I have looked into a few kennels for Sierra and frankly, I'm losing hope of finding one that Jeff and I agree is suitable.  I either get a bad vibe from the owners or, like today, everything was great except the size of the runs were SO SMALL!  Especially for a Newf!  I am very uneasy about leaving my dog with a stranger.  I have heard too many horror stories about dogs either being abused or neglected or at best, just ignored for the week.

We're now considering taking Sierra along with us and finding a hotel that will allow dogs.  The girls are going to hate the idea, but, oh well.  So far I have found one that will take a dog over 25 lbs.  I have heard mixed reviews about taking your dog along on vacations.  Any advice?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling with your big paw - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:33 pm »
We've traveled extensively with all of our dogs.  We have an RV so we prefer to use it b/c it's often cheaper (though gas prices are awful) & b/c it's easier than hauling kids, dogs, suitcases, etc. in & out of the hotels, but we've done both.  Many hotels are now pet friendly, some charge a per stay fee for the dog(s) that is a flat rate whether you stay 1 night or 14 nights, other's charge for the pets per day, and a few just charge a cleaning fee.  I've had the best luck asking the hotel reservation agent for the "best rate", but maybe someone who's worked in the hotel industry will have another suggestion for lower rates.  It can be pricey to take a dog w/you to a hotel, but I still think that it's often cheaper than boarding them.  Besides, I'm the poster person for over-protective mothers, so I rest better when they dogs are with us.  ;D  ::)  If at all possible, find a hotel that has side entrances/exits and doesn't require that you traipse through the main lobby whenever Sierra needs to go potty.  We've done that and it was a little embarrassing with three big dogs, but one might not be so bad.   ;)  ;D  ::)  Also, first floor rooms are more convenient & if Sierra hasn't been in elevators before, she may object at first (Sam really didn't like them).  Finally, if at all possible find a kennel in Niagara Falls that you think that you'd trust (and then you can check it out in person when you get there) so that if you want to take entire days to sight see without Sierra, that you can drop her off for doggy day care.  Have fun!!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 08:31:21 am »
Well, Jeff and I did some reasearch and we have found a hotel that will take a dog as large as Sierra.  I feel much more at ease with having her with us.  I am concerned that it will put a damper on our plans for the week, but this place actually has a doggy day care on the property where we can leave Sierra and she will be supervised by their staff.  Now I just need to find out what will be needed in order to take her in and out of Canada.

Our last trip to Canada with a dog was a disaster.  We drove and my mother forgot the dog's papers and vet records, so they wouldn't let us into Canada, but they wouldn't allow us back into the States either!  We were stuck on the border for hours while my mother tried to get hold of our vet on a Sunday and have the dog's records faxed to the border!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:46:15 am »
Well me being a Pet sitter I would encourage looking into that.  Many of my clients have found that having me come into their home is the best solution ever. Not only do they have the best care possible (ha) for their baby but also their home and property.  Of course you would have to search until you found someone you are comfortable with but I think the xtra money is well worth it.  My newest client is a good example.  Their daughter was sick in Arkansas and they were going quite often to see her.  Callie was having to be boarded all the time.  They were feeling so bad because she came from a Vet that had rescued her and she had to spend alot of time in a kennel until this family adopted her.  Although it had been 7 yrs ago, Callie would get sooo depressed when they left her.  I kept her for two weeks while they took her to the Mayo clinic and we fell in love. Of course, not to toot my own horn, but I did go over and beyond because she was such a sweetie and I wanted her to be comfortable.  They wanted me to come twice a day but since it was in the same town I work in, I went everyday at lunch also.  Callie did so well, they called last weekend and ask me to come visit because Callie was sad..She had been looking for me since they come home.  So now I go visit when I can and they plan on using me again on spring break.  So I would recommend that option if at all possible.  If you need any help at all, just pm me and we can talk!  Sorry this is soooo long...but good luck!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:24:29 pm »
I'm glad you found a place that sounds like it will work for you.

I've traveled with up to 4 dogs, and it's not always easy.  You do really have to do your research on the town, and more hotels that you think will allow pets now.  In fact, I was traveling with 2 dogs from Minneapolis to Sioux Falls quite often over the last year and I had always stayed at the Motel 6 b/c I knew they allowed dogs (well, one per room technically but no one every questioned me).

But one of the last times I was there I happened to pick up a City Guide just for something to read in the room.  It had a chart of all or most of the hotels in town and their ammenities, and I was very surprised to see that 75% of the hotels listed allowed dogs. Of course many of those were way out of my price range but it was nice to know.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:44:48 pm »
We traveled with Rosie from Texas to Michigan, spending a night in a city somewhere in the middle of the two states. We found a hotel chain, Extended Stay Deluxe, that allows dogs without size restrictions, which worked out perfectly. It's a chain and it's not a luxurious accommodation, but it works quite well for a one-night stay with a giant Newf. We just requested a room on the first floor, maybe a room that's convenient to a back entrance/exit.

Also, see if this website is helpful http://www.petswelcome.com.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 08:38:12 pm »
Honestly, I don't care if it is a basic hotel room with a bed and TV.  It is a family vacation and we aren't going to be spending much time in the room anyway.  I was looking enviously at the rooms that overlooked the falls that are out of our price range, WAY out, and if it was just Jeff and me, well that's different.  We'd probably be spending more time in the room LOL!  ;)  But with the girls, we'll be sightseeing the whole time.  That's also why I'm glad the hotel we chose has a doggy day care, because then Sierra won't be alone all day and we can always take her out for sightseeing walks around the Falls and city.  And she'll still be able to sleep next to us at night. She was at the vet today and the vet let me know everything I needed to take her across the border.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:45:19 pm »
It sounds like you're all set. You guys should have a wonderful time, Sierra too!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:30 pm »
I'm so excited!!  I can't wait to show off pics of Sierra's first vsist to Niagara FAlls!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:16:44 pm »
That's so great!  Let me know when you are coming, I'd love to take Naja to Niagra for a walk along the boardwalk with you and Sierra!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:33:12 pm »
Oh gosh!  That would be awesome!!  I'll definitely let you know when our plans are set.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

lookingfornewf

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 10:02:24 am »
I only live about an hour from Niagra Falls on the Canadian side. I have taken my Jack Russel numerous times over the border and my Newf puppy just at Christmas. As long as you have a current rabies tag and shot records with you it is not a problem. In hundreds of trips I've probably been only asked for paperwork twice. The only problems I have had is sometimes they have confiscated my dog food if there is a current ban on beef or chicken. I've given up bringing it across and just buy more once I get to my Mom's house or where I'm going. I love traveling with my pets whenever I can.
If I'm going further away, (like Borneo and Hong Kong last year) I do try to find someone to take care of the dogs in my house. The dogs are happier that way. It can be hard to find someone.
Make sure you post when you come and you might just run into some more big paws when you are at Niagra Falls. ::)

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:09:17 am »
Taking your pets on holiday has its ups and downs
It's fun for you and the dog but can limit what you can do whilst on holiday.
My dogs love to down to Detroit to see my farther in law and luckily for us they don't mind looking after them for a few hours whilst we go do our thing.

heres a checklist of a few things that you should always have when traveling with your dogs

- Up to date indentificatio n tags with your number on them and if possible a number of your destination or hotel etc.
- Proof of vaccinations and copies of other medical records
-Research the area where you intend to go and pick out an emergency vet also take the phone number for your own vet aswell
- Pet first aid kit
-Toys,bedding and grooming stuff
This is a few of the thing taken from the 'pet travel checklist' found in the dog bible

If you need i can post the recomended ingrediants for a pet first aid kit
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:10:18 am by arkydo »

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 03:26:03 pm »
Make sure you post when you come and you might just run into some more big paws when you are at Niagra Falls. ::)

Haha!  A BPO get together!!  Too bad I have to go to another country for it but that would be awesome just the same!  Big paws take over Niagara Falls!  LOL!

Arkydo - A checklist for the pet first aid kit would be much appreciated.  Thank you for the other tips as well.  I didn't even think to research a vet up there.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 04:06:37 pm »
This list is Taken from the dog bible, you can buy it at any good book store online or real life and I'd suggest that you do its worth the money
It isn't a travel first aid kit it's an anywhere first aid home or away

-Activated charcoal (available at drug stores) for absorbing  poisons
-Adhesive tape to secure bandages
-Antibacterial ointment or powder for cleaning wounds
-Artificial tears for flushing eyes
-Benadryl, for allergic reactions, as directed by a vet
-Blunt tipped scissors to trim hair from wounds and cut bandage materials
-Chlorhexidine for cleaning wounds
-Cloths or sanitary napkins to help stem blood flow
-Cotton balls
-Cotton swabs
-Disinfectant solution
-Eye dropper, turkey baster or syringe to flush wounds
-Gauze pads and rolls to make bandages and a muzzle
-Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) to induce vomiting (do so only on veterinary instruction. Do not induce vomiting unless the vet advises you to; in some cases of poisoning.Thro wing up can make the situation worse )
-Kaopectate (ask your vet what amount is appropriate to control your dog's diarrhea)
-K-Y brand jelly or petroleum jelly to lubricate a thermometer
-Needleless syringe for giving liquid medications
-Needle-nose pliers to remove obstructions from mouth or throat
-Plaster splint for broken limbs
-Rectal thermometer
-Towels
-Tweezers

but hopefully you won't need any of it