Author Topic: OH NO...Titan's a bully!!!  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
OH NO...Titan's a bully!!!
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:25:37 am »
So we watch this shar pei pup who just turned 5 months old.  Last night, she was chewing on a toy when titan came up to her and lied down next to her. There were no eye glances nothing at all...everythi ng was good so i thought  :-\ then all the sudden farkus yelped and has a bite on her cheek.  Then today, farkus was chewing on the same toy, titan glanced (and before i could correct him) he BIT her, right on her roll behind her ear!!! Now she has a small puncture hole on the top of her head.  I don't know what is getting into him..i know he is not neutered or anything....bu t will this end? i guess i will not have farkus play with titan anymore!!! I guess i am more shocked because farkus is a little girl (has not had heat yet), i don't know what to do except take titan out of the situation and in his crate!!!! 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: OH NO...Titan's a bully!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:31:37 pm »
Does Titan know this dog very well? 
Sounds like he is a bit toy possessive.

I know when I boarded dogs, unless Gunther knew them really well, he could be a bit snarky with them.  Usually took him 2 wks before he would accept them into the home.

If he is just acting this way when toys are around, you will just have to either not let him near her when she's playing with a toy, or not have toys around when they are in the same room.  I've had to do this at the dog park with Gunther.  He is not allowed to play with toys there b/c he is toy possessive (again with dogs he doesn't know well).

Hopefully it is just around toys b/c that is an easy fix. 

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »
and how can i help him with this issue? I don't understand how to help him. Other trainers have told me to train/exercize more...ok well the only training we have not done is agility....we have done rally, comp.obedience, he listens the whole time. Since i got this new job as a dog walker (3 weeks new) i have taken him with me for (free) walks, no leash. He is great.  But then when we came home yesterday he attacked a muzzeled puppy (muzzeled because he eats my truck) and the puppy was no where near him, didn't look at him,,,did nothing.  Then He sent farkus to the vet to get stiches because he made  a HUGE hole in her head >:( i don't get it.  Farkus (not my dog) was not doing anything. She was actually sleeping, titan creeped over and bit her.  What a horrible day yesterday. Today, titan was banned from playing with Farkus at all, he went with me to work and in a crate when we came home. (don't get me wrong he played with 4 labs...and he tried to keep up so he is snoring up a storm in his crate   ;D )   If it happens again, we are going to have to go to the extremes, i can't have him being 175 pounds, and 8 months old....biting and sending poor farkus to the vet who is 20 pounds, and 5 months old.  It just isn't going to happen.  How can i help???  Yes he does know farkus very well...we have had farkus since she was 8 weeks old.  There is more to possessionness than this...it all started when the cat snuck out of the room and near titan while eating...(titan was 3 months) and titan FREAKED..on the cat (granted it was funny, and the cat is relentless...a nd didn't learn from this) and ever since that day, in his crate with food/toys and now it is extending to out of the crate.  We are managing the situation..but i want it solved not managed!!!

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:36:53 am »
I wish I had some advice for you. I understand your worry concern too. Big dogs with any sort of agression is scary. I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:33:16 am »
Sorry, I don't have any advise  :-\ I would hire a behaviorist ASAP! If you have a boarding business this kind of stuff it's not acceptable :(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)