Author Topic: MUD, POOP, AND MUDDY POOP!!!!!  (Read 13060 times)

Offline TLK

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
MUD, POOP, AND MUDDY POOP!!!!!
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:22:42 pm »
OK BPO'ers what do you do with all the POOP! Now I knew Ellie would have large piles so I am not surprised with the amount. But I live on many acres and have about a quarter of an acre fenced in for Jack and Ellie and I shovel a lot an it gets put out in the "pasture". What do you all do with the stuff? I figure it's biodegradable but for those in town, if it is put in a plastic bag then it becomes not-biodegradable? When you clean your yards where do you put it? Just curious as I had to think about something while doing the chore.
To make matters worse now that the big Ohio snow storm is melting we have TONS of standing water. And what is the water mixing with in my backyard....? YES! POOP! UGH! We are wiping feet when the dogs come in but you can't get it all and I know there is more than mud on those paws......EEWW WW!! Mop must Mop...

BTW Ellie is 10mo and 32" at the shoulders. We need to get an updated weight. She was around 100 back in December!!!

TLK
Mom of Six kids a nice blend of skin and fur
Wife to a dh who is also a nice blend of fur and skin. He's an Animal!! hee hee

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: MUD, POOP, AND MUDDY POOP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:48:11 pm »
Well, it goes out into the trash for us.

although right now, hubby has yet to get garbage service.  So when I finally cleaned up the yard a few days ago, I got 3 bags full (small walmart type plastic bags) and they are sitting in the garage........ ...lol.  ::)  And that wasn't even all of it.  some was still too soggy to even attempt to pick up.

Offline Zoja

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:04:39 pm »
I shovel the poop into the 33lbs dog food bags. They hold up pretty good. then put them in the garbage bin. Right now as it's been warming up I try to get out there and get the new layer of poop. I can't stand the mushy melting poop! George doesn't even want to go in his area. ::)
Shannon

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:16:07 pm »
I wheelbarrow poop out to the woods,We have a section where we dump the horse poop and hubby will take the tractor once a week or so and level it all out,the doggy poop goes in with that!
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:25 pm »
we live in an apartment in the middle of town, so no yard... which means I get to bag fresh poops and throw them in the garbage bin immediately... I have a surplus of grocery store bags, but that's decreasing pretty quickly with Lucca's, ahem, needs... as soon as those are gone, I'd like to get those biodegradable dog poo bags... saw them, of all places, at a coffee shop... and then continue throwing them in the trash  :P
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:07:16 pm »
Our dogs' ummm "contributions" go into the trash, too.  We live on 6 acres, but the dogs' fenced area is just part of that.  Our oldest son has pooper scooper duty and he picks it up every day or occasionally every other day.  We live in a very rainy but temperate climate and with 3 dogs, I just didn't really want a "poop area" b/c once the weather warms up it would attract flies & all.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:58:17 pm »
We live on a dairy farm so the poop gets picked up into biodegradeable bagies, then tossed in the "pit" (the "pit" is where all the cow poopy goes).   :P :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:11:14 pm »
When you clean your yards where do you put it?

We built a dog poop compost. I got the idea/instructions from this website http://www.plantea.com/dog-waste-compost.htm
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 07:59:23 am »
I cleaned up the yard yesterday and got a 5 gal. pail full the bag was very heavy when I pulled it out, thankfully it did'nt break. 
As the snow melts more and more piles apprear.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 08:46:14 am »
Since we are renting the house, there is a portion of the yard that is an old garden (which is not in  use...and if we cared with what we planted we would be crazy) and the dogs seem to be training themselves to poop on the mud... and since we got tired of picking up poop all the time.and just when you think you are done, you step in a huge pile!!!!!!     >:(  SO... we hired a poop cleaning service to come in...

lookingfornewf

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:35 am »
Well we take our dog poop for rides in the truck around town. Yes, I have a poop story.
About a month ago when I picked up poop there was a lot of snow and ice too. It filled up about a half a garbage bag. It was heavy, but I could pick it up and put it out at the curb for garbage like I always do. They didn't pick it up. It was slightly frozen to the ground, just took a little nudge to move so I thought maybe that was why. I set the bag beside the house, waited until the next week and put it out again. They didn't pick it up. I decided I guess they thought it was too heavy. I put it in the back of my truck in double bags to take to a dumpster where I work to dump it. I took it over there. The dumpster is a little high, when I lifted it up the bag tore, it dropped. Now I have a half open bag of frozen poop laying on the ground, I pick it up and put back in the truck, go home wash my jacket, wait until the next day. Then I drove around town and found a lower dumpster and put it in. Since then I'm being careful to not make the bags quite so heavy. It's not usually that bad but when you take some snow and ice up with it then it is. So when you don't know what else to do with your poop take it for a ride in the truck. :P

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 08:09:51 pm »
when i lived in the country i mowed it over and it fertilized the grass in the summer.  the husband hated it but that's one reason why he's the ex.  in the non mowing months i would try to clean it up and put it in a compost heap of some kind or throw it away.  now that i live in the city i have to bag it and throw it away.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:34:19 pm »
I use biodegradeable poop bags and then those go in the trash. I found some extra large size ones that work great for big paw poops. Plus, I feel good about using them from an environmental standpoint.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven