Author Topic: Pet First Aid - Any instructors?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Pet First Aid - Any instructors?
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:34:47 pm »
Cirra's Dog Scout Troop is considering offering a workshop on Pet First Aid.  I was wondering if any one is an instructor and if so what was involved in becoming one.  Has any one gone to pet first aid workshops?  Likes and dislikes?  If you would go to one - what would you want to learn?  Something basic or more advanced?  Thanks.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Pet First Aid - Any instructors?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:28:15 pm »
We are looking in to the Red Cross Program.  I am wondering if the Red Cross Pet First Aid class is standardized across the country and if it is very basic or provides more advanced information???

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Pet First Aid - Any instructors?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 05:31:50 pm »
I took a pet first aid course.  It was about 14 hours spread over 2 days and included breaks for lunch.

I thought a little too much time was spent on REALLY basic stuff and I thought some info was out-dated.  We first practiced bandaging techniques on stuffed animals then brought dogs in the next day to practice on.  CPR was done of stuffed animals.  I would have preferred it be a bit more professional, working with life-like dog dummies but I don't know if such a thing exists.

It was great that people were able to share stories and opinions.  I learned how to remove porcupine quills though so I did learn a few things and we got a handbook at the end.

I don't think pet first aid is regulated.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  The impression I got was that they saw a market for a course and started one.  With all the dog walkers and daycares in Vancouver "certified in pet first aid" makes owners feel a bit more at ease leaving their dogs with someone else for the day.

Good Luck with your program!