Author Topic: Rawhides  (Read 16953 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Rawhides
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
yeah...thanks for the 'heads up' on that Lins!
I had read that too, about blocking the intestines and such. SO, I hadn't bought any. My mom brought one over for felony a couple of weeks ago and I thought I would just watch her with it, but she isn't very interested in it. She has a small raw marrow bone and seems to like that much better...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 01:02:39 pm »
HEY MOON!  where you been?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 01:04:05 pm »
Lady and Grace like those morrow bones stuffed with Cheese.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 03:04:47 pm »
We used to give raw hides, but then Hutch choked on one, luckily I was able to pull it out. Hutch tries to eat his treats too quickly thinking that he would get another one! Now we only use raw marrow bones, they love them more than raw hides and I haven't had any problems with them.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 03:16:26 pm »
Red...... what countries exactly are you reffering to. when you say they might be cured with arsenic.

Marit
Marit, I only buy chews made in the U.S.A....I know there are countries that cure their dog chews with all sorts of nasty things including arsenic...I found this out when Sammy was having loose stools quite alot & I was investigating as to why...I can't get my MSN search to work right now so i can't tell you the exact countries within certainty but as soon as I can get my piece o' crap evil 'puter machine to work correctly I will let ya' know. :)

I read something about this hmmm must have been a couple of years ago, and the countries they said to look out for was mixico, far east, and some contires in eastern europe. Most contries in western europe have a very strict law against formaldehyde, for curing food in particular but even in general. I worked for a company manufact. and doing interior design for bathrooms and kitchens in sweden, we had to follow the hardes of laws with all the board material that was used because it can cause both allergies and cancer. The quantity is also rather critical, since formaldehyde actually is something that is present in our bodies as is.

Does anyone know what the law states here, is it safe with just any rawhide made in the us, or is it a difference what brand too. Are some companies more reputable than others? I am right now writing a BIIIG list of stuff I need to order for my babies and I had rawhide on it, but I would like to know if you know if there is any difference depending on brand or who has made them.

Thanks

marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 01:21:34 am »
Has anyone tried the sweet potato chews? they are supposed to be long lasting and the alternative to rawhides. I haven't tried them but have been thinking about it. My dogs are extremely picky (one won't touch bully sticks, the other does sometimes depending on his mood) and I'm looking for something that lasts longer for my puppy when he gets bored in his crate. (he doesn't spend long in it, but it would be nice for him to have something to do).

He won't touch nyla bones and greenies only time to time (and I've heard many dogs have choked on greenies!) And he doesn't like rawhides even if I were going to give them to him (which I won't because of the same reasons as already mentioned)

I wanted to try raw bones (with my supervision) but I live in an apartment and my dogs are indoor dogs and I'm worried about sanitation (I'm moving to a house in November, but for now, I'm worried about giving them raw bones inside the apartment).

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that lasts longer than pig ears/tendons/ etc. for picky eaters? Can you believe my akitas don't like pig snouts/bully sticks/raw hides/etc.? drives me crazy!!

Also, my vet warned about chipping teeth on roasted bones as well. The side tooth near the back (ones shaped like a W) jut out a little more than the other teeth. these are the ones dogs use when they chew a bone (you know how they turn their heads sideways and chomp on a bone? that's the tooth). these are the ones that are most prone to being chipped. I then looked at my older dog and he has a little chip in one of those teeth (and he's not a really aggressive chewer!). I went online and found tons of other people who hav experienced the same problem. If your dog hasn't chipped any, than that's excellent. But for others who don' tknow whether their dog would chip a tooth might want to play it safe and use an alternative... just my opinion.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 11:53:24 am »
I think you should be able to give raw bones in the apt.  Just pick them up when they are done and wanting to guard it or hide it....They will love them...  I feed raw and use a lot of antimicrobial cleaners and bleach water so noone gets sick...  working pretty good.  I think the sweet potato chews sound great....  I add a little sweet potatos to my dogs dinner.  They seem to like it!!!!  Read Billinhursts "give your dog a bone"  for more info on feeding raw meaty bones....Also make sure you don't give any kind of cooked bones because they are dangerous and can splinter...
Timmie
ps - you can go to the butcher and get some pretty cheap bones.  If you get the big beef bones have the butcher cut the long bones in half so hey can get to the marrow

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 07:43:14 pm »
I picked up some of the nylabones - the healthy edible ones in different flavors...Will ow loves them...  Have you tried those?

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 11:49:52 pm »
Hi Brigid:

I'm not sure if you were talking to me or the person who started the post. If me, then yes, I have tried the nyla bones. I've gotten the chicken flavored puppy bones to the harder ones to the bacon flavored healthy edibles and he smells it for a second, maybe gives it one or two chews every few days, and pretty much ignores it. Same with the bully sticks. Sometimes he will chew on them, sometimes he won't. I wonder if I should soak them so the taste comes out. Someone suggested to boil the nyal bones in chicken broth and I haven't done that yet. I'll post if it helps pique his interest...

ARG! It is driving me crazy! He loves roasted bones my boyfriend gives his rott but I can't leave him with one in his crate. I also found these rib bones on valleyvet.com that don't splinter but they last for maybe 90 seconds...ARG!  ???  :'( why so picky, little akita?!?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 11:54:51 pm »
Hey Jans - Try a raw bone.  Beef bones are kind of hard on pup teeth.  Lamb is good.  Make sure it has a lot of meat on it.  Bet he would love it.
Let him eat most of the meat part in the kitchen for easy clean up then the bone bone part can go in the crate for less mess. 
Timmie

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2005, 08:39:48 am »
I give Cowboy big beef marrow bones frozen....stra ight from the freezer.  They aren't so messy then and they sort act like a popsicle to cool him down.  He just works and works on it for hours!  Once the marrow is out, he kindly passes the empty bone to Chester who will work to find what ever little bit of marrow that Cowboy missed (smaller tongue!!!).  I worry about giving Chester a new bone because I don't know if it messes up the energy (fat!) to protein ration for puppies.  Is that something I should worry about??

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 11:45:48 am »
Hmmmm....I don't know about that.  I think it is ok.  I wouls just watch for chipped teeth...thoose beef bones are very hard for pup teeth.  Billinghurst wrote another book, "grow your pup with bones"  I haven't read it yet but I heard it was pretty good.
Timmie

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 12:36:40 pm »
Thanks!  I'll check their teeth more regularly.  There seems to be mostly licking to get the marrow out, though.  And they only get them after breakfast while I'm reading the paper.  We've never had one break...but I'm still not comfortable letting them chew while I'm not right there.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 01:11:57 pm »
Yeah - I agree bone eating should be supervised

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 01:20:04 pm »
Grace lost a lot of puppy teeth with her rawhides