Author Topic: Pyr dew claws  (Read 5417 times)

Offline elaine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Pyr dew claws
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:19:01 am »
Hi, I'm an avid reader of posts, but don't get involved (laziness really). I have a 9mnth Pyr/GSD cross who is growing daily!  She now weighs 75lbs and is 25" at shoulders and 27.5" at her hips. Is this differing leg length normal?
Obedience training is going very well, we've done puppy classes and basic. Soon to start intermediate.  I am finding her easier to train than my male akita/husky was.  She was slower to house train than he was.
My main question is her dew claws.  Since she's growing so fast, I cut all her nails weekly.  The dew claws seem to be more oval shaped than the rounder other claws.  Is the "quick" in the dew claws shorter than the others.  I cut the same off of all claws, but am tempted to cut way more off the dew claws.(Have not done it so far!)
Hope my pics of her, Liesl, are attached!

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Pyr dew claws
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:26:29 am »
This isn't a helpful comment but Arkyd's rear Dew claws are crazy too one is about 5 times the size of the other its huge

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:26 am »
She is beautiful!

Does she have the extra toes with pads on the back or just the dew claws?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:29:11 am »
First off welcome to the board. I'm Tina Mom to Annie, Merri and Tripper. Her being high in the rear is normal as she is still a puppy and still growing. She should even out eventually. Are they double dew claws on the back legs? You can cut them shorter as long as you don't hit the quick. Are the nails dark or white? You can see where the quick is when the nails are light in color. This can give you a guide as to how short you can cut. Also cutting as close to the quick as possible makes the quick shorter each time you cut. You want to keep the them as short as possible so that they don't grow into the pad. I hopw this helps.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:35:36 am »
Both our Pyr and our Swissy grew "crookedly" - one end first then the other would catch up.  Don't worry about that, it all evens out in the end!  We don't have to cut their main nails because we do a lot of pavement walking, but I do cut his dews every couple of weeks.  I think you can take a little more off than you think, because the two times I've taken him to the groomers, they cut them much shorter than I do.  One of his is black so it makes me nervous to cut because I can't see the quick.  I've never caused any bleeding so I think I'm okay.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline elaine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:05:21 pm »
Thanks for the fast answers!
Liesl does have double dew claws and pads on the back legs.  All her dew claws are black and different sizes, but so far it looks like I've not come near to the quick, the cuttings are not "solid" looking enough (still softish).
Off topic, pyr coats seem to be either really fluffy or more retriever like.  Are both breed standard?  With Liesl having shepherd in her I'll just have to see how her coat turns out.
Hope to attach more than 1 pic, of her puppyhood so far!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:08:54 pm »
Awwwww, Liesl is beautiful! Welcome, Elaine!  Do you know how much GSD she is, b/c she looks very Pyr-ish to me (yep, I'm making up words today  :D).  Our Cassie is most likely 3/4 Pyr and the rest...well she's stumped everyone so far.  Cass has a shorter, slightly coarser coat than my full Pyrs have had so a Pyr/Lab mix is one of the many guesses. 

Pyrs are double coated with a very soft wooley undercoat & a longer slightly coarser (but still soft) outer coat.  Never as coarse as a retriever's coat though.  I hope that helps. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees