Author Topic: Pyr mane and collars  (Read 6115 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Pyr mane and collars
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:04:37 am »
What collars do you use for your Pyr so as not to tangle or mess up the beautiful Pyr mane? Jenny has a rounded leather collar, which doesn't really tangle her hair, but it still seems to leave a permanent "line" in her mane. I'm wondering if there's a better collar out there for her. Thanks!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: Pyr mane and collars
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:32:30 am »
That is so funny.  I actually came to the site today to post this EXACT question!  We have had a 2" wide fabric (satiny) collar on Jack.  We love the collar, it's beautiful (not that you really see it with all his fur) but lately he's getting a lot of mats around where the collar is and behind his ears.  At least it sounds like the leather one isn't causing matts, just an indentation, right?  That may be unavoidable.  :-\
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:15:59 pm »
I don't think there really is a collar that will help avoid mats or indentations. You can remove the colar and brush out the main on a regular basis to avoid mats especially.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:44:35 pm »
That's what I figured.  We do take it off weekly to brush that area  out, but there's usually some tangling already started each week.  Nothing bad, just a little bit.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:18:54 pm »
I only use collar for walks (leather only) as well and it was leaving the line on her main...not very dramatic, just where her main is super soft. After her last shedding period I started using a choker and it doesn't leave a line. She doesn't pull on walks or need any corrections so it's pretty much to save her coat ::)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 01:22:16 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:24:45 pm »
Yep, I also just take off the collars & brush under them frequently.  Our's wear collars w/ID all of the time, b/c they go everywhere with us & I worry that if they got lost someone might not bother to take them to a vet or shelter to have their microchips read.  The collars do leave an indentation in their manes, but I'd only worry about that if I were showing them.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:59:24 pm »
It really depends on if you want a collar for training and walks or just as something for their tags and ID (microchip ID that is)

All of ours have several collars..they all have martingales for walks and training.Anyti me we leave the house they are wearing two..their walking collars and their ID collars..

I understand about manes considering Falkor..our collie and I don't want broken hair or worn down lines from a collar..

I found this chain at ACE Hardware but I would think most hardware stores carry them..You buy it by the ft..and just get enough for your needs..

It has a connecter peice as well..

I really like it because it doesn't leave any lines or broken fur..because of the balls..it actually looks like jewlery,,I will include a picture if I can get this to work it's been awhile..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:09:58 pm »
All of my dogs wear a collar 24/7,they each hold their rabie tag and ID.I brush Bear daily so therefore have no troube with matts,indentions etc...he has a pretty thick Lions mane ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:14:05 pm »
Miles wears his collar all the time. It's just a plain flat buckle collar. Nylon. It doesn't make much of an indent. I think mainly because his mane is so long and thick, when I take the collar off, the hair sort of just fills in that area, whether it be dented or not. haha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:17:51 pm »
We have a few for Marley as well. For walks in urban areas I use a rounded pinch. It is like steering wheels and brakes! love it.
At home in the country I use a flat nylon harness. It leaves his neck free so there is no pulling on his neck area if he starts to get to the end of his rope. For his ID tags he always has on a very thin (almost a cat collar) that is silky nylon and it stays on him all the time. It hasn't made any visible indentations.. .it is really only about a .5 inch wide though.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:08:53 pm »
All of my dogs wear a collar 24/7,they each hold their rabie tag and ID.I brush Bear daily so therefore have no troube with matts,indentions etc...he has a pretty thick Lions mane ;D

We never had a problem when Jack was Bear's age either... it's just started to develop over the last couple of monts -his mane has REALLY filled out a lot lately.  And his tail is ENORMOUS!