Author Topic: No longer wants morning meal!?!?  (Read 4143 times)

Lyn

No longer wants morning meal!?!?
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:32 am »
Bubba normally has an insanely good appetite but he's been skipping his breakfast meal for the past week now. Sometime I can coax him to eat it at lunch but not always. Then come his evening meal he'll either dig in or pick at it. Some days he's barely eating 2 cups a day. He used to eat 5-6 cups in a heartbeat.

Like I posted before he put on 10 pounds.. probably more now (I haven't weighed him recently). He looks the best now than he ever has. Is it possible that he just doesn't need that many calories now? He is 3 years old... Or maybe he just doesn't want to be portly? ;) LOL

Other than the hunger strike he's fine. Acting normally, playing and being a pain in my behind. He hasen't lost any weight that I can see.. So I'm not sure what to think?

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: No longer wants morning meal!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:22:12 am »
I noticed mine went on strike as well. But...it ends up that i was feeding too much food. Try reducing the amount of food you are feeding. My dane went from eating (at the shelter) 8-10 cups of food, and here at my house she eats 2 cups a day (and is a little portly at that). Perhaps eating too much? Also Titan is on raw, so he eats when he is hungry, and he will fast himself some days.

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:16:40 pm »
I don't think I'm overfeeding him. I could put 4 kibbles in his bowl and he'd still look at it and walk away. LOL

He just refused his supper.. so in total today he's eaten 1 cup of food. Surely not enough for a 140 pound dog. :(

I'm going to strangle him!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:17:35 pm by Lyn »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:19:29 pm »
I don't think I'm overfeeding him. I could put 4 kibbles in his bowl and he'd still look at it and walk away. LOL

He just refused his supper.. so in total today he's eaten 1 cup of food. Surely not enough for a 140 pound dog. :(

I'm going to strangle him!  ;)
LOL! You sound like my hubby! Last night Lily only ate a cup and was standing by the door to go in the backyard. When I was opening the door hubby said "Don't let her out!!! Make her eat!"
I was laughing so hard...How can you make the dog eat ??? :D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »
LOL! I can picture it now.. Me sitting on Bubba shoveling in the kibble. haha

I know if I add a topper to his kibble he'll eat it but I'm trying resist the urge. Darn dog is training me well. ;)

I'm beginning to think he just doesn't like the kibble. It's Canidae. Mongo was weaned onto it so it's easier to just feed it to everyone. Bubba's tummy issues have mysterously disappeared. *Knock on wood* :P He seems to be able to eat anything now without booty blowout. Now he's just PICKY!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 05:17:05 pm »
Fumble had a strike on his food for a long time!  he would almost always refuse to eat.  and then all of a sudden, after about 8 months of being "picky" he changed his ways and now LOVEs to eat again.  maybe it's a stage the big paws go through?

he might be bored with his food.  you could maybe try to add some of the wet variety to the kibble to see if that could entice him!  we tried EVERYTHING with fumble!  salmon oil that had the flavor, yogurt, cheerios... the one thing that worked the best was the new wellness 95% salmon.  he LOVES the canned stuff.  we just add it onto his food and mix it in.  or we used to anyways.  now he eats the straight kibble.  and this is the same food that he wasn't eating before, so i guess he wasn't bored. he was just in a "picky" phase. 
Good luck!!  and if all else fails you could be like me and hand feed him each bit of kibble at the beginning to "wet his appetite" lol! 

"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:06:50 pm »
Mayebe he's bored, do you walk him in the mornings exercise triggers appertite, Or hide little piles in random places so he thinks he got lucky

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
He ate his normal 3 cups this morning.. the bugger. I think he just enjoys driving me crazy. :P

Score 1 for me, 0 for Bubba. :D

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:57 am »
Naja won't eat in the morning unless her food has it's tablespoon of Glucosamine, and plain yogurt.  Her evening meal MUST have either chicken broth or Beef gravy on it to get her to eat it all.  She'll just pick at it distainfully if it's any other way.   ::) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:28 am »
Bell will inhale any food from anywhere. 
Baxter on the other hand only eats a little bit and then goes and lays down.  Of course tan we have to watch Bell becasue she will go over and inhale his food too. 

Sometimes he just doesnt want to eat others he will eat every kibble.  I just let him do it. I figure that he will eat if he is hungry enough.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel