Author Topic: I need a hug....and sleep.  (Read 5560 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
I need a hug....and sleep.
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:02:07 am »
As of this moment I have been awake 36 hours, 47 minutes. Prior to that I had 4 hours sleep.

today was surgery day. Yesterday evening, all of my fosters came back to the house to stay so I could drive them all down an hour away to our surgery clinic.

Where was I yesterday evening? Working- I was called in to work a 16 hour shift because of "employee troubles". I came in at 3pm after calling volunteers to man the house and check in fosters (God bless Kay, my best volunteer, I'd be dead without her) and left at 6:30 AM the next morning.

I drove home, nodding at the wheel, drank three cups of coffee as I am litterally RUNNING around the house and gathering animals (Have to be there at 8.. gotta be there in an hour..and its an hour drive) and putting them in crates in the van. The boxer pups are SCREAMING at the top of their lungs and I am trying to get them quiet before they wake up the neighbors who are already not pleased with me this month. I throw a blanket and pillow into the van and figure i will drop off the pups and then sleep in the parking lot for 4 hours or so while they are getting altered.

I pull out of my driveway.. and the van dies.

Great. Now what? Can I fit 8 dogs into my tiny little PT Cruiser?

The answer, suprisingly, is yes, if you sacrafice sanity and crates.

I am now FLYING down the highway with 6 4 month old boxers in the back, a shih tsu and a cocker mix on my front seat, and I have 30 minutes to make an hour drive. I actually almost make it- but luckily they are behind and havent started yet.

THANK GOD there was a wonderful woman I know who works for animal league of gaston county, and who volunteers with me sometimes, and happened to be taking in two of her dogs. she helped me unload, tag, weigh, and cage all the dogs. It only took an hour this time.

Man, they are busy this morning and I cant figure out why- until I see the vet who has her leg in a cast. Oh no! And I hear from one of the techs that they overbooked the clinic by several dogs and are short on hands, and I start to wonder if this is a bad time to mention that I have vet tech experience.

I end up assisting, for I really don't know how many surgeries and how much time- finally I think about 2pm I said I couldnt do it anymore, I hadnt eaten, slept or had coffee, so I went and ate lunch, drank four cups of coffee, then took a 30 minute nap in my car.

Then, I went back, carried all my half drunk animals out to the car, paid my $450 tab (Now you know why I helped- 8 dogs altered, vaccinated, microchipped, examined, HW tested and fecals done for $450- these people are amazing) and began the trek back home.

Back home, it's now 6:30 pm. I leave the dogs in the car for a few minutes with the windows all the way down (They are all asleep) and I go let the other non surgery dogs out and feed them, then clean and set up crates with new blankets, something I usually do ahead of time but didnt have time to this morning. I carry everyone out, walk them to pee, then crate them and carefully regiment water. I walk my dogs, feed the birds, the cats, do litter boxes, clean out the nasty blankets in my car and run a load of wash...call all the foster moms and tell them they can come pick up their pups. I organize vet work, make copies, file them appropriatly. I cook a big pot of rice and mix it with broth and yogurt, chicken and scrambled eggs, and take it out to the surgery dogs (The ones staying the night) for dinner. While I am feeding them, foster moms come and get their dogs, and I go through all the post-opp stuff and pass out vet records. I make sure everyone eats, dole out medications, come inside and eat a quick bite of chicken and rice myself and look at the clock- 10pm. I have 30 minutes to shower...and leave for work.

so now, I am at work. But only 7 more hours... and then I can go home, and do it all over again...before I have to be at the vets at 2:30 with Slinky.

HAVE THEY INVENTED A WATCH THAT STOPS TIME YET?!??!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

marypyrs

Re: I need a hug....and sleep.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:30:51 am »
HUGS!!!!!!! A TON OF HUGS!!!!!!  :-*  :-*  :-*

You're fantastic!!! I hope some well deserved sleep will be do-able soon.  :)

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 06:35:06 am »
You are truly incredible.  Sending lots of tired hugs your way. My night in no way compares to  yours but I understand. Marley started having explosive diarrhea about 7 last night. COuldnt get him to stop.  Finally popped 2 Immodium in him but we were still pooping at 3 am this morning.  Twice he didnt even know   he had to go.  So I havent been to bed either.  Started coffee at 4 and just waiting for the vet to open.  So this cups for you and all you do!  You are amazing.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:56:57 am »
And I thought my day was rough yesterday...lo oking at yours mine was a walk in the park!!

I don't know when...but you need to take care of yourself!  The pups and other critters need you and you can't be any good to them if you are sick.

I hope everyone is doing well after their surgeries and that you get some much needed rest.

You too Lorim2 (and of course I hope Marley is all better now also!!)

Randy & Harley

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:30:38 am »
BIG HUG

I hope you get some much needed rest SOON!  You're no good to these dogs if you run yourself into the ground.  Call in sick at work, or get a volunteer to come in during the day so you can sleep and they can do all the running around for you for a few hours.  If I could I'd give you a real hug, but since that's not possible go get yourself some puppy loving, and feel better.   ;) :-* :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:55:08 pm »
I wish I could call in- but my boss is one of my foster homes, so she would know!! LOL

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:31:48 pm »
Way ahead of you. I normally work 7 days a week, but I begged off for this weekend. I plan to take Whiskey to the drive-in movies and eat BBQ. They have a double on this weekend which means 5 hours away from home that doesnt involve WORK

Sat morning I have three adoptions so hopefully...ho pefully things will settle down here just a bit!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:57:45 pm »

Here in this house......

I will never know the loneliness I hear in the barks of the other dogs 'out there'.
I can sleep soundly, assured that when I wake my world will not have changed.
I will never know hunger, or the fear of not knowing if I'll eat.
I will not shiver in the cold, or grow weary from the heat.
I will feel the sun's heat, and the rain's coolness,
and be allowed to smell all that can reach my nose.
My fur will shine, and never be dirty or matted.
Here in this house...

There will be an effort to communicate with me on my level.
I will be talked to and, even if I don't understand,
I can enjoy the warmth of the words.
I will be given a name so that I may know who I am among many.
My name will be used in joy, and I will love the sound of it!
Here in this house...

I will never be a substitute for anything I am not.
I will never be used to improve peoples' images of themselves.
I will be loved because I am who I am, not someone's idea of who I should be.
I will never suffer for someone's anger, impatience, or stupidity.
I will be taught all the things I need to know to be loved by all.
If I do not learn my lessons well, they will look to my teacher for blame.
Here in this house...

I can trust arms that hold, hands that touch...
knowing that, no matter what they do, they do it for the good of me.
If I am ill, I will be doctored.
If scared, I will be calmed.
If sad, I will be cheered.
No matter what I look like, I will be considered beautiful and thought to be of value.
I will never be cast out because I am too old, too ill, too unruly, or not cute enough.
My life is a responsibility, and not an afterthought.
I will learn that humans can almost, sometimes, be as kind and as fair as dogs.

Here in this house...
I will belong.
I will be home.

~unknown
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats