Author Topic: You Know You're A Dog Person If...  (Read 6545 times)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
You Know You're A Dog Person If...
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:40:20 pm »
You Know You're A Dog Person If...

You have a kiddie wading pool in the yard but no small children

Lintwheels are on your shopping list every week.

Your freezer containes more dog bones than anything.

You hang around the dog section of your local bookstore way too often.

Your non-dog friends won't eat food prepared in your kitchen.

Your parents refer to your pet as their "grand-dog."

You have baby gates permanently installed at strategic places around the house but no babies.

You open your purse and that big bunch of baggies you use for pick-up pops out .

You skip breakfast so you can walk your dog in the morning before work.

The trash basket is more or less permanently installed in the kitchen sink, to keep the dog out of it while you're at work.

You can't see out the passenger side of the windshield because there are dog nose prints all over the inside.

You don't go to happy hours with co-workers anymore because you need to go home and walk your dog.

You don't think it's the least bit strange to stand in the back yard chirping "Molly, Pee!" over and over at your dog who tends to play and forget what she's our there for.

You go to the pet supply store every Saturday because it's one of the very few places that lets you bring your dog inside, and the dog loves to go with you.

You get an extra long hose on your shower massage just so you can use it to wash the dog in the tub, without making the dog sit hip deep in water.

You and the dog come down with something flu like on the same day. The dog sees the vet while you settle for an over the counter remedy from the drug store.

You not only have dog toys strewn about, but your guests also have to be careful not to trip on the dog jumps. (well we gotta exercise them in the winter somehow)

Your weekend activities are planned around taking your dog for a hike.

You refer to yourself as "mommy" and "daddy".

Your dog sleeps with you.

You'd rather stay home on Saturday night and cuddle your doggies than go to the movies with your sweetie.

You keep an extra water dish in your second-floor bedroom, in case your dog gets thirsty at night.

You avoid vacuuming the house as long as possible because the dogs are afraid of the brain-sucker.

When your dog is getting old and arthritic, and you go buy lumber and build it a small staircase so it can climb onto the bed by itself.

You shovel a zig-zag path in the back yard snow so your dog can reach all of his favorite places.

Your have 32 different names for your dogs. Most make no sense but they understand.

Your dog eats cat poop but you still let him/her kiss you (but not immediately after, of course)

You never completely finish a piece of steak or chicken so the dog gets some too.

Poop has become a source of conversation for you and your significant other.

You are the only idiot walking in the pouring rain because your dog needs his walk.

You send birthday, anniversary and Christmas cards from your dog.

You like people who like your dogs. You despise people who don't.

You lecture people on responsible dog ownership every chance you get.

You keep eating even though you find a dog hair in your pasta.

You carry dog biscuits in your pockets all the time.

You make popcorn just so you can play catch with your dog.

You talk about your dogs like other people talk about their kids.

You have your dog pictures on your office desk. (but no one else's).

Your license plate or license plate frame mentions your dogs.

You match your furniture, carpet and clothes to your dog.
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: You Know You're A Dog Person If...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:42:20 pm »
Sooooo true, so true they all are.

But especially these:
You can't see out the passenger side of the windshield because there are dog nose prints all over the inside

Poop has become a source of conversation for you and your significant other.

You keep eating even though you find a dog hair in your pasta.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:34:06 am »
Oh God I do all that.

What about realizing you are low on dog food and immediatly dropping everything to get more..but the next day looking in the fridge and realizing you have nothing to eat and you think "Oh, well I'll just have this can of old beets."

Alternatively, when your dog eats fresh venison, rabbit, beef and chicken all in one week.. and you eat Ramen, Ramen, Tuna Cassarole, and ...ramen.

OR spending $125 at the groomer for your dog when you haven't had a haircut this millenium.

When you remember your dogs birthday/gotcha day but forget your own or your signifigant others

You cant find a clean ceral bowl so you use one of the freshly washed dog bowls (OK I might be the only one that has done that)

You insist the term "FUR niture" be taken litteraly, and warn guests before sitting down or even walking into your house when wearing black.

There has been more then one instance where you have slept on the couch because there has been too many furry bodies in YOUR bed.

I did all those too.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:31:24 am »
It is so funny :D...so many of those are true and we've only had Cooper since the end of November!  These 3 are the most true to us:

You avoid vacuuming the house as long as possible because the dogs are afraid of the brain-sucker.

You have baby gates permanently installed at strategic places around the house but no babies.

Your parents refer to your pet as their "grand-dog."

Here's another one to add to the list:

Making sure everything is perfect and comfortable for your dog before leaving the house for work (water, food, kong, toys, tv on animal planet, bed, babygated in his room), then realizing once you get to work you have forgotten your coffee, lunch, cell phone, etc.
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:15 am »
WOW,I didnt realize I was a'Dog Nerd" all on the list can apply except the bed thing...they have theirs and we have ours ;)
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:19:09 am »
HAHA.  I think almost all of these apply to me as well.  Especially the one about vacuuming.  I can handle white tumbleweeds roaming my house, but I hate seeing my babies scared of the "evil" vacuume.

Modified to add:  Except Moo, he's pretty funny around the vacuume.  Trying to kill it while I vacuume.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:19:54 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 02:31:42 pm »
You know your a dog person if... The only group you belong to on the internet is BPO and you can't go a day without checking it a couple of times to see what other dogs have done. ;D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:19 am »
I relate to all of these except eating out of the dog's bowl.  But that's only because the opportunity/need hasn't come around.  I'd probably do it in a heartbeat.  And I would also like to know how the dog hair gets IN the fridge and freezer!

Also -

When you take your winter coat out of storage for the season and stick your hand in the pocket, you get as excited to find dog bones as you do to find money.

No one has trouble finding the perfect gift for you - they just get you something related to your breed.

People at work remember your dog's name before they remember yours.

You become known simply as "the one that has the Newf".

People's eyes glaze over and they start edging away from you when you mention your dog.

People comment on the dog slobber and you blankly look at the and ask "What slobber?" because you honestly don't notice it anymore.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer