Author Topic: worms--AGAIN! :(  (Read 6007 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
worms--AGAIN! :(
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:28 pm »
Jenny has tapeworms--AGAIN! Aargghhh! She had them when I adopted her from rescue, which was a kennel situation. She was dewormed and I thought all was well, and they're back!  >:(  :o  As far as I can tell, she's not getting them again, per se, but it's like they never fully left. Tipper has never had worms, Jenny doesn't eat poop, and isn't around other dogs besides Tipper. Jenny is the first dog I've had that has had worms, so I guess I don't know what to expect, but I was hoping that they would be gone after she took the deworming pill last time.  Has anyone else struggled with getting rid of these nasty little worms before? How long/how many times will it take to be rid of them for good? I am so frustrated.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Lyn

Re: worms--AGAIN! :(
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »
Tapeworms are from ingesting fleas or flea eggs. One of my cats had reaccuring tapes, we dewormed her 2 or 3 times and applied a topical flea killer religously until all the fleas were gone. So far no more tapeworms.. *knock on wood*

It usually takes a few dewormings to get rid of them.. in my experience anyway.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:21:17 pm »
None of my pets have had fleas--it's been winter here in Michigan, so no fleas outside either.  ???  And none of my other pets have the worms either. That's why I'm assuming they are worms from before that were never fully gone. It's been 3 times total that she's been de-wormed, so hopefully this will be the last time and these little suckers will be gone for good!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:25:39 pm by pyr4me »
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:13 pm »
Miles got tapeworms once. Two days after I first noticed them, I ran to the pet store and got Worm X Plus. One dose and those babies were gone within 24 hours. They haven't been back since.

I was surprised he had them in the first place because I have never seen a flea on him. They can also catch it from dead rabbits if they eat them or something (ew, I know)...

Anyway, I don't know how he got the little buggers, but we killed those babies quick.

Hope you kill them off soon. I know how gross it is to see these live moving white things in/on dog poo. :P
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:18 pm »
Yes, they're definitely tapeworms. It's hard to imagine that there are fleas in my house as none of my other pets have any fleas. I haven't had a flea problem in this house ever and I've lived here for 8 years. All of my pets are on flea preventative, too. It just seems weird. And gross.  :-\
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:03:11 am »
Ahhh.. Yes I forgot they can be infected by eating poop. My neighbours dog got them from eating rabbit poop and deer poop. Blech!

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:08:49 am »
how can you tell if your dog has worms? is the only way to notice them in his poop when it first comes out of them? I ask this because Marley has a "poop spot" far from the house and I am not usually home when he does his business. If I ever wanted to check how would this be possible? Are there signs of worms that make you suspicious to check thier poop to begin with?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 02:29:42 pm »
We had problems with the pups this summer.  Our Husky was on a preventative once a month topical (can't remember the name) when we got the pups.  Sure enough our big boy Vander came home first and had them.  Lots of stool samples to the vet and dewormer at the vet.  We brough home his sister and had the same problem. UGHHHH.  I was a regular customer for stool samples at the vet for a month.  THEN.... Jadis got very sick one morning with throwing up and the runs and was just a big ball of fur sitting in a corner (not her normal self)  After a heft vet bill it was determined that she must have eaten some rodent or something along that line.  We then opted to put all three dogs on IVERHEART which is supposed to prevent all different types of things including the whole worm thing.  It was recommended because of the multidog house and the fact that mals tend to eat poop if not picked up fast.  We try - but at 40 below .....  Vander was occassionally seen eating a poop-puck this winter. Since we have been on the Iverheart everything has been great and all I have to do is get the pups weighed every month or two when I think they may bounce into the next weight category.  We get a 6 month supply for each dog (which is a bit pricey at the initial time) and then just go in for a weight check with the pups (which is free).  We haven't had any problems and no more huge vet bills.  I guess the preventative outlook has paid off for us!

Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)