Author Topic: Cheingora anyone?  (Read 4103 times)

marypyrs

Cheingora anyone?
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:33:01 pm »
We were talking on BPO a few days ago about shedding, spring blowouts, & spinning/knitting etc. My Guys are just starting the season right now & I guess anyone who knows me also knows how much I love the "gathering" of the treasure.

I was cleaning out my computer files this morning and ran across this. Thought some of you might be interested. Any breed of our furry friends can produce this wonderuful resource. I've seen lovely 'stuff' from Newfs, Saints, Collies, Goldens, Berners, and others.(I think Leos would be great too.) I'm currently mixing mine with sheeps wool and silk fibers. (less matting so more washable)

So - if you're interested - here 'ya go. And this is just one of many articles.
http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm/cheingora_the_humane_fur
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:35:24 pm by marypyrs »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Cheingora anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »
I love knitting with dog hair!!! When I had my first collie I made a huge scarf for my grandma to wrap around her back. She said it really helped to control back pain :)
As soon as I have enough fur from Lily I will make myself something  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:17 am »
WOW! Thanks for posting the link,This will be great! I would love to have something made from Bears hair!

Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:05:36 pm »
I actually had some yarn spun from Keiko's hair.  I had the option of mixing other hair in with it, but I went with 100% Keiko.  Turned out great. I dyed it myself, although that didn't turn out quite like I had hoped but it worked.

I'd like to have more one as that was just a sample I was playing around with.  I always keep her hair from when she blows her coat.