Author Topic: Help!! The fur just keeps coming!!!!?????  (Read 6891 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Help!! The fur just keeps coming!!!!?????
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:57 pm »
I was grooming Phoebe tonight and I think she is beginning to blow her coat.  Does the fur ever stop coming or do Pyrs always have alot of fur, she doesnt stand still for nothing and I bet I could spend hours on her.  I dont have a table for her any suggestions on how I can groom her successfully with out one.  I am thinking about just taking her to the groomer again although she was just there  5wks ago.  I know bathing her frequently is not necessary.  I was one big white ball of hair, I guess black sweats wasnt the best choice. 
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! The fur just keeps coming!!!!?????
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:46:21 pm »
I think Jenny started to blow her coat and at first it seemed like I could brush and rake her forever, I would end up with a pile of fur that was the size of my cat! But it did slow down. I am brushing her everyday though to keep on top of it. I use a pin brush first and then the rake and it seems to do a good job.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11:36 pm »
I noticed Bear is shedding a little more then he did but its really not much,maybe puppy..not sure.I will throw in that a really good quality food will keep your dog from shedding as much,I know pyrs shed alot thats a given but if you think its excessive you may want to look at diet.

Now I will say...the 205 pound pyr house we visited..she had hair galore all in her house,stuck to the dark carpets,hair floated through the air as we spoke,she literally stopped and pulled hair out of her mouth :o I thought..OMG! is this the way it is..ha..ha...I thought there is no way my house will be covered that way!
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »
I did notice that when I started Jenny on salmon oil that she shed much less, but I imagine that there will still be more than usual during "coat-blowing."
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:46:37 pm »
A force air dryer is the best thing in the world for when they are blowing coat. If you have a shop vac that will blow you can use that. Take her outside and blow away all that fur.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:20:13 am »
Hey!  ya, Naja's started to blow her coat as well.  My mother had her to the groomers yesterday and even after that I still got a good  sized grocery bag full of undercoat.  I'd just say try to brush her a  little bit every day to stay on top of it, that's all I'm doing.  One other thing I'm doing however is I'm saving all the fur I get off of her and I'm gonna have it spun into yarn to make a hat or sweater or something depending on how long I can stand saving it for.  lol  It's something that I saw someone on here do a while ago and it kinda struck a chord with me.   :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:04 am »
Wow, I guess I've been lucky with Binky.  She has yet to blow her coat (other than the usual constant shedding and tufts stuck to everything).  We have to get her groomed in a month b/c apparently, her undercoat just sticks in there every year. The breeder, who did Binky's grooming the first year, said she'd never seen anything like it.  The fur wasn't matted, just stuck!  I brush her a few times a week too.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 02:16:06 pm »
We are getting ready for our first spring with the mals.  My husky seems to shed more than the two of them combined.  We do try to saty on top of the big pups.  They enjoy the brushing late in the evening after playing and walking. Guess they are too tired to argue with me.  We use a rake and the horse size furminator.  We still are a bit hairy right now, but I expected that.  I wish my husky would stand still long enough to be brushed appropriately.  He is just a ball of energy and I can never poop him out.  My husband watched me last pm and laughed as the walmart bags filled rapidly with fur. ;D
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 02:57:55 pm »
When they're blowing their coat, it really is a never ending ordeal. It takes lots of raking, just about daily, to get the fur out slowly but surely (and keep from having 'fur rugs' on your floors). Sorry, there's no comfort here. It's that time of year for all of us.
Rosie - Newfoundland

marypyrs

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 03:41:56 pm »
For those of you who are first time "blow out season" people - welcome to our World.  ;) As they say. The blow out happens only twice a year. March through September. And September through March.

It's not all that bad once you get used to it. Evening brushings are as much a part of my day as waking in the morning. It's also a great bonding experience. My Guys absolutely love being groomed. Your's will too.

Save that fur! If you aren't going to use it yourselves for spinning and such, there are a lot of people out there who would love to have it. (The clean brushings that is. No matted & dirty stuff.) Place an add in the paper and just watch the responce. If you can find some completed projects, you will see how truely lovely they are. Chances are that you'll want to do some yourself. :)

Now I must go to town. I'm buying new area rugs. Needless to say - they will be of a light color. Shall we say - "blendable"?  ???  :D