Author Topic: I'm a bad...bad...bad person thinking bad bad bad thoughts!  (Read 9929 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
I'm a bad...bad...bad person thinking bad bad bad thoughts!
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:09:35 am »
Im a baaaaaad woman.

OK first some backstory. For those of you who might be confused because of the never ending rotating plethera of dogs that come through my house, let me break it down for you.

I have 1 full time my-very-own dog. That is Whiskey, my 2.5 year old tail-less golden retriever.

I have 6 other big dogs that I co-own with my parents- these are siberian huskies and afghan hounds. They live 75% of the time with my parents, 20% with handlers, 5% of the time with me. (basically, they come for extended visits). I also co-own a few chinese cresteds with my mom, same deal ;)

Then of course there are the rescues...in which case there can be anywhere from 1-14 here depending on size and health. Right now I have 10 dogs here: whiskey, two border collie mixes, a dachshund, a shih tsu, a doberman, 3 boxer puppies (the rest are in foster care now)and a lab beagle mix.

Today I decided to actually go to a show with my folks, something I havent done in a while. I wandered away from the conformation rings to go purusing for some stainless steel buckets in the vendors isle, and this absolutely beautiful blonde tail wizzed by out of the corner of my eye. I walk around and I see a woman practicing obedience with this stunning golden... I mean, stunning doesnt even describe him. STUNNING. BEAUTIFUL. GORGEOUS IN EVERY WAY EACH HAIR WAS LIKE SUNLIGHT WITH MELTED BUTTER ON IT. He sailed over a jump and when he landed it was so graceful I almost didnt even believe that he hit the ground.

So I started talking to the owner when she was finished working him, and I settled down while this beautiful boy (whos name was dallas) rolled over on his back and snuggled his head into me and lay perfectly still in my lap for about an hour. Turns out this boy was an international champion and now working on his obedience titles. He's Pennhipp'd, CERF'd clear, heart and thyroid tested, home and ring proven...... and she's just bred him. And she has an opening on the waiting list for a pet male.

I have been thinking for some time that it would be good for whiskey to have another full time dog here. I feel bad every time he gets used to a foster yanking that dog away and replacing it with another. I have been thinking this for about a year now, and wondering if one of the rescues will cry out to me to stay, or I had been considering bringing home one of the show afghan pups out of my mom and I's champion girl we are breeding later this year. But then I think when am I going to have time for all that grooming?? and what am I going to do when whiskey gnaws off his fur and I can't bring him in the ring for two years?

And I love goldens. I L-O-V-E goldens. I get nervous with rescue goldens occasionally because of health issues- Whiskey is 2.5 years old but has bi-lateral hip dysplasia so bad he has already had to have 2 surgeries.

So, I took her card, and I was terribly mad at myself for driving home and thinking the whole way on names, and plans, and getting myself all pumped up.

So what do you guys think...? I guess my big concern is purchasing a puppy. The price is not bad at all for a pet boy, roughly $1000... of course $1000 could save 10 more puppies from animal control...and it also means one less space for a rescue dog... OIE ok I'm torn. Someone talk some sense into me!!!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a bad...bad...bad person thinking bad bad bad thoughts!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:01:37 am »
Oh god, she just called me and told me she had a boy she had held back from his last breeding to show but at 5 months old she has decided he isn't panning out for the conformation ring... she has offered him to me.... ooooh my resisitance is fleeting...

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:08:04 am »
I have to agree with everyone else - you do so much for so many other dogs; if this is what you truly want than you should go for it.  Also, when you say it would take space away from one rescue lets face it if a dog was in dire need of help you would help anyway.

I just read your latest post it seems like it is meant to be is the puppy close enough to go have a look?

Randy & Harley

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:04:11 am »
I do believe in fate and when it walks right into your lap how big of hint are you looking for. I think you need to "rescue" the 5 month old pup. ::)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:08:10 am »
Seems like a win all the way around... Whiskey gets a full-time buddy, this pup gets a good home, the rescues get another foster-brother, and you get your second golden.  Go for it!  (and post lots of pics!)  :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:01 am »
You've come to the wrong place darlin'. With all the magnificent work you do with rescue you are the last person who should feel guilty about wanting another permanent dog.

Go with your heart.

Ditto all the way around!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:47:47 am »
Totally agree all the way around. You deserve it. As was just posted, "You got the call. He needs a home." This is happening to you for a reason. Don't question it - run with it. As hard as it may be for Whiskey to have buddies come and go, it has to be tough for you, too. So...what are the names you are thinking of for your new boy??

Oh, and by the way, NEVER again should you think or say that you are a bad person! That is nonsense!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 12:23:13 pm »
Ooooohhhh we are going to go meet him on Friday........ ....!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 01:11:19 pm »
YAY!!!! Glad we could give you the "support" you needed!  ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:58:51 pm »
LOL I came to you guys hoping you would talk me out of it ... what the heck was I thinking?!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 05:17:24 pm »
BWAHAHAHAHA! Then you wuz foolin' yerself, lady!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 06:03:15 pm »
Oh this is the WRONG place to try to get talked out of any dog!!  Especially when we all know what a great home you will give the little darling

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 06:15:56 pm »
Sheesh! How much more of a "sign" do you need? That dog practically landed in your lap!! Congrats on your new puppy!! (hee hee) Can't wait to see the pictures.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 06:33:10 pm »
OK so I have a chance to go down tomorrow afternoon since I am off work on tuesday and wednesday I think thats what I am going to do......everyo ne cross your fingers!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 09:19:26 am »
LOL I came to you guys hoping you would talk me out of it ... what the heck was I thinking?!

Silly, silly woman!!!  Have a good trip!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix