Author Topic: Miles' First Raw Bone!  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Miles' First Raw Bone!
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:41 pm »
Ok, so I was at the pet store today, getting some bully sticks and trying to think of another chew that is decent for him to have, and I cam across the freezer section. I decided to get him a raw bone. I got him Nature's Variety Lamb Bone. I'm sort of afraid to give it to him though for some reason. hahaha Not afraid, but just...you know. It's new. I've never given ANY of my past dogs anything raw.

Just a couple questions....

1. Do I let him just eat the meat off, or can I allow him to gnaw on the bone afterward?

2. How often can I give him these bones if he likes it? Can it be like a 3 times a week thing, or is it better as a once a week thing. Or even less?

3. What are the chances that it will give him booty blowout...or stop him up like no tomorrow? :P

Thanks in advance!!!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Miles' First Raw Bone!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »
Thanks so much Jenn! I'm going to give it to him tonight! Can't wait to see how he likes it. :)

P.S. My local pet supplies plus has a raw section in the back of the store now. It's back in this little tiny room with 3 big freezers. I was sort of excited to see it. I would never be able to afford the premade raw medallions or patties for Miles to eat in place of his kibble, but I thought the bones were cool!!!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:31:19 pm »
Hi,

Winslow gets them from the butcher, he naws on them for a week, sometimes longer if he hides them under a couch and I don't find it ;-( right away, I get him marrow bones pretty cheap and always available at the butcher shop!!

He loves them!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:58 pm »
We get the nature's variety buffalo shank bones. I give him one until it is just bone, and gnawed on a bit. Then he either gets a new one or I will stuff the bone with PB...Phelan is a very good chewer so we stick with the shank bones to prevent him from swallowing big pieces of bone. We tried him on the spine before and he quickly chomped and swallowed it, it came back up a short while later :-[

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:47:29 pm »
Miles is going to have such a GREAT day!! :)  Winston and Champ have both had the Nature's Variety Raw bones with no problemos!  I threw them away as soon as they were done chewing on them (within the day), but I'm like you-- I have NO idea how long they "keep."  I mean, it looked like they licked them clean, but who knows how many germies still linger behind....Any thoughts??

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:25 pm »
Alright...so I gave it to him! I took all the stuff out of his crate and just put the bone in there with him. At first he just looked at me like, "what the heck is THIS?" Then, he started licking it and began to like it. He stopped for a few minutes, so I let him out of the crate....but he brought the bone with him. hahaha So, I got a towel out and had him eat it on there, but he keeps getting up with it....haha oh well i guess. The weirdest thing is, he won't use his paws to touch it! Usually with any other kind of bone or a bully stick, he will use his paws to hang on to it. This-no. No paws. Just teeth. It's so weird! I took a few pics I'll post later. :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:37:17 pm »
Lucky you that Miles doesn't use his paws to eat bones!
When Lily eats beef ribs she walks out of her crate covered with leftovers up to her knees >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:49:41 am »
Yay!  I'm glad that Miles enjoyed his new treat!!  What a nice  Momma you are!

Kooks....Thank s!  Sometimes I just need the obvious spelled out!  ;D

Gemz

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:29 am »
I feed only raw, and Tai gets 2 - 3 chicken bones a day. Usually he eats them straight away but a couple of times he's been known to hide them

imagine having to change your bed sheets just before you wanna go to sleep due to the big piece of bloody meat in it!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 11:53:38 am »
Maybe he wants to keep his paws clean :D

Have you tried the pig ears for him? Bear loves them and it lasts a good hour or so if I get the big,thick ones.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:54 pm »
Maybe he wants to keep his paws clean :D

Have you tried the pig ears for him? Bear loves them and it lasts a good hour or so if I get the big,thick ones.

Yeah. I think that might've been it, because once all the meat was off, he used his paws to gnaw on it!!! :D

As far as pig ears go, I have given them to him. Not by choice though. He always grabs them out of the bins at the pet store! hahaha At checkout I'm always like, I also need to pay for a pig ear.... :-[ :P ::) They're in a place where it's almost impossible NOT to pass them too. They are gone before we even get out of the parking lot sometimes. The reason I usually pass them up is because they give Miles diarrhea sometimes. :-\
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees