Author Topic: Looking for supplements for my OGSD  (Read 4659 times)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Looking for supplements for my OGSD
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:17:50 am »
We picked up our little girl Wednesday. She is an AltDeutscher Schaeferhund, or Old German Shepherd. I wanted to know what is good out there for supplements for her. She is 8 weeks old and  I want her to have the best of course. Her parents don't have HD but as it is only partially hereditary I want to help her joints and bones as she grows.
Thanks
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for supplements for my OGSD
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:51 am »
Your puppy is absolutely beautiful.  What some of the Great Dane groups around here do is feed their puppies raw chicken feet.  They are a great natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin, as is any meat containing cartilage, joints, etc.  I give each of my dogs 3 or 4 feet every other day or so.  Does old refer to coat or stance?  I have heard that term applied to GSD's that have the natural stance, i.e. flat back, as opposed to the exagerated sloping back so popular now.  Good luck with your puppy.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:20:57 pm »
Ok well one of my problems is I am living in Germany and those nice "whole" dog foods are not available unless I go broke shipping it here.
AltDeutscher Schaeferhund is an actual breed. And a very old breed. They are a registered dog here in Germany as long as they have proven themselves with cattle/sheep. They come in 8 different coats/bodies. http://www.altdeutschehuetehunde.de/?id=1
This is the website but it is in German. And this is the different kinds. http://www.altdeutschehuetehunde.de/?id=10
KC's Dad is the Schwarzer Altdeutscher. The breeder breeds working dogs and his supplements are anything handy like raw meats and day old breads. So KC isn't bred for the show but to actually work. He told us to mix in milk with the dry dog food.
Her Ears will be coming up soon and she should top out in weight at 60-70lbs. We will be using her for a family dog and also agility and protection.
And I know that the AKC doesn't recognize them since there is such a wide variety and no simple standard.
Danielle

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »
Once she does reach an age for supplementatio n this is a great product.  We started Jack on it when he was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia (as you say, not always heredity - his parents were both ranked well for elbows!) and it really seems to help him.  It's primarily glucosomine/chondroitin but it also has other great nutrients.  I believe they ship internationall y.

www.flexicose. com
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:37:33 pm »
Thanks ladies... really.  ;D
We will cook any food she does get that isn't dry. Right now she gets Nutro Natural Choice. And funny you should be bringing up the lactose thing. She gets lactose free whole milk at the moment since I think my son is lactose intolerant.
I'll be having my DH check out all the info.
Danielle