Author Topic: Help! Sioux is going crazy!  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Uncanny

• Gnawer
  • My Sioux
    • View Profile
Help! Sioux is going crazy!
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:47:07 am »
So...I have a big problem and I'm not sure exactly how to go about it.  Figured this would probably be a good place to start.  Earlier today we had some friends over to help put up our fence.  Sioux, our female, has meant everyone who came over several times.  She did her usual bark at everyone that came through the door and then hide.  But then I was in the kitchen with her and Smoke and my friend's 8 year old son.  I had my back turned and all of a sudden I heard Sioux growl and as I turned I saw her go after him.  This is something that she has NEVER done before.  So I punished her and kenneled her in the house by herself.  So after maybe 1 1/2 hrs I let her out so that she could go to the bathroom.  We get outside and all of a sudden every hair on her back was raised and she was growling again at someone new.  So again I punished her and re-kenneled her inside alone.  I know the breed can be very protective and she's not fond of any changes.  A chair in the wrong place will set her barking.   But I'm not sure what to do with her.  We've been through puppy classes with both of them.  Sioux didn't do so well there, just because she was more intent on what everyone else was doing, but she was never agressive towards any other dogs or people.  But I will admit, she scared me today.  Any advice that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.  I want to stop this now, before it becomes a big problem!  Thanks for reading and sorry it's so long!
Owned by:
Sioux - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Smoke - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Amaga - Bengal mix
Bandit - Our little black and white kitten

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Help! Sioux is going crazy!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:20 pm »
hmmm... I don't know much about Swissy's (but I'm sure someone else can take that angle), but it sounds to me like (and I'm merely speculating here) she may have been concerned that people were messing with her territory and she may have been a little anxious over all the mulling around.

I think the core of the problem is dominance, though. She should respect you and your family members and not charge for no real reason. I think punishing her by kenneling her probably didn't teach her much, it may have just made her more anxious to be separated from what she thought she needed to protect or defend.

Maybe a better idea for next time would be to keep her on a leash until everyone arrives, take her around to meet everyone so they can greet her and be friendly so she doesn't feel threatened. That way, if she does growl, you have her on the leash so you can correct her immediately. Keep her on the leash next to you until you feel confident that she feels comfortable. If she acts out, put her back on the leash and correct her behavior, but don't remove her from the situation.

Does that make sense?

p.s. I love her name. I was born in Sioux Falls and went to college there!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain