Author Topic: any ideas for a very over weight dane!?!  (Read 9377 times)

Offline Woof98

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
any ideas for a very over weight dane!?!
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:30:04 pm »
 ???
Hello,
I am hoping to get some useful information for my mother.
She has a 4 year old blue great dane. (this isn't her first)
He however, is very over weight. He weighs about 214 lbs. he is on a diet but the poor dog always seems startved. he gets fed a premium dry dog food. about 4 cups a day. sometimes he gets pumpkin in his food to help fill him up.
The vet says everything, health wise, is good. He has had a thyroid test and that has come back fine. Any ideas on possible hidden problems or ways to help with the weight. I am afraid he'll have a heart attack and he's my parents baby since we are grown and gone.
Also, for anyone who is interested, the puppies, PEyte and Corbynn (paiges Great Pyrenees pups) are doing great!!! :)

marypyrs

Re: any ideas for a very over weight dane!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:05 pm »
No ideas for your Mom's Dane Dawn, but I know someone here will have suggestions. BUT - UM - pictures of Peyte & Corbynn (as well as Mom's Dane) would help.  :D  ;)  :D

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:44:03 pm »
have you tried to give green beans? The fiber in them also help fill them up...or instead of treats, you can give carrotts, or trim down the food more perhaps or if you did trim the food down, perhaps just taking the full amount used to feed and reduce 1/2 cup at a time...that would also help...  that is definitly a big boy!!!  ;D  how cute...any pics of him?

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:35:32 pm »
my dane Memphis is fat too. I blame it on the winter.and the fact he is a lazy S.O.B! lol
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:50:43 pm »
I agree with Jack's mom about the ice cubes.  I really think Kana believes that those are the best "treats" ever!!  AND, no calories!
 ;)We have always counted on them since buying treats is so expensive.  He will work just as hard for them as for a liver treat...
Try it out.
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Woof98

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »
he already gets only healthy treats like carrots but i guess they will have to up his excercise. he follows my dad everywhere and runs outside, but he must just need more.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:13:20 pm »
what a beautiful boy!!! I am so jelouse!!! He is a cutie...he looks like he loves to cuddle!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:40:57 pm »
Awwwe, he is a cutie.
He doesn't really look that overweight to me.  there is a ginormous dane that comes into work once in awhile that weights around 220 and he could stand to lose a few pounds but is by no means obese.

But upping the exercise certainly wouldn't hurt.  :)

Offline Woof98

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 08:54:16 pm »
the picture doesn't do his justice. he really is extremely large but the picture hides it well!!!
almost forgot the boys.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 09:32:20 pm »
LOL Julie! your right. We put memphis on some food to bulk him up. He kinda bulked up TOO much. He is back on his original food, but on a diff type i believe the type he is on is for weight loss. Hes about 200lbs now. and he has fat rolls. its become a bit hard on his legs and hips, so id love for him to lose it. but right now, YOU COME WALK HIM- ha ha ha Please remember where we live and winter is not a dog walking season for us. thank goodness spring is around the corner. we take him, jigsaw and reba out running in the spring/summer so he will lose alot i hope. (reba and jigsaw need to gain, my boys are over weight. ugh- guess thats what neutering does to them) ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »
Oh, did i forget to mention, memphis is DARCYS DOG! lol  :D
My boys always gain some weight in the winter, because i am a lazy lazy winter person. Darcy is also... so- anyways
i will stop taking over this persons post with memphis' problems LOL he will be good as ever in the summer ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 10:09:50 pm »
???
 he gets fed a premium dry dog food. about 4 cups a day. sometimes he gets pumpkin in his food to help fill him up.

It's time for your detective skills to come out.
When you say he gets premium food, what type is he getting?
Is it good quality or does the bag say premium?
I was reading or watching somewhere where premium on the label means nothing.  It just allows the manufacturer to charge more.

My 7 year old, 162 pd, OEM gets 3 & 3/4 to 4 cups of Timberwolf Ocean Blue a day, split into 2 meals. I watch his waist and ribs very carefully and adjust almost daily.  Each cup is a whopping 521 calories!  Protein is 26% and fat is 16%.  Fat is higher than I like.  I have him on fish because he's allergic to beef (and off all red meats), and doesn't do well on chicken kibble (he's fine with real chicken).  He gets at least one walk a day and play sessions with Beau.

Beau is a 2 year old, 205 pd OEM and gets 8 cups plus, a day.  I can see his ribs when I look down the side of him (ribs are harder to see on brindles).  He is fed Solid Gold mMillenium Beef and Barley.  Each cup is 387 calories and there is 22% protein and 12% fat.  Great combo there.  He gets 2 walks a day plus play sessions with Luke.  He is also on a bit of a growth spurt.

There is a huge difference right there between the 2 foods.

The black dane in the picture looks huge!  He has a very large chest and looks big boned. He may be a bit overweight, but will never be petite!  Four cups of food is not a lot.
As everyone suggested, add some carrots and green beans to his meals.  Gently suggest to your father that the dog (and your dad) needs some exercise everyday.  Are there any doggie daycares in your area?  Even getting him there a couple of times a week would be good.  Anyone else in your area have a giant breed for doggie play dates?  How about a dog park.  Just increasing his mobility will help a lot.
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 10:41:28 pm »
HAHAHAH Hubby Does!!!!
Memphis is his. Zero is mine. Reba is his because she (for some reason) hates me and wants nothing to do with me. and Jigsaw is both of ours. You can definately tell  whos dog is whos when walking into the house thats for sure.  :D I do take memph out sometimes, i actually just signed him up this morning for obediance classes. because he has many problems im getting really PO.ed at him about... so- hopefully this helps in all ways ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

List

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 11:58:21 pm »
I think it was suggested before but grain free high protein foods can be great for weight loss in addition to more exercise. The grain free high protein foods (Evo, Orijen, Legacy, Core, etc..) use high quality meat protein which helps to burn fat and build muscle.