Author Topic: does anyone know of a dog food that is like raw...but not?  (Read 10222 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
does anyone know of a dog food that is like raw...but not?
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:40:32 pm »
We are traveling alot this summer and i need a food that is like raw but not. Also, perferably pork since that seems to not upset titan's tummy.  Does evo have a pork?

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: does anyone know of a dog food that is like raw...but not?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »
There are a few out there.
I am trying really hard to remember them.
something something kitchen... UGH!
You can just google raw diet and freeze dried.
Sorry I am not much help.  ???
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:00:38 pm »
hmmm freeze dried?  Do you have to add water to them? I have never used freeze dried (except for treats)...plus do they sell freeze dryers?

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:24:33 pm »
What about Nature's Variety Raw Instinct? Its raw with some type of coating on it. Its just a kibble. I used to feed it to Cabeza, its really good stuff.

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:29:51 pm »
There is a product here in western Canada called N-R-G.
It is a dehydrated product and comes in different flavours and also in pre-cooked and Raw formula's.  I use it sometimes in the evening in place of canned food mixed in with the kibble.

Here is the link:

http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:36 pm »
hopefully the ngr will ship here to the US... it sounds like the perfect food, and i can't wait to hear back from them. 
The reason we switched to raw was because of lots and lots of booty blowouts and raw seemed to solve that issue.  But we found out he is allergic to pumpkin, oat, rice, and right now beef, but we are working on that one. 

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:08:38 am »
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/index.shtml

This is the one I was thinking about.

"No cooking and no freezers required!
We use 100% organic grains, hormone / antibiotic-free meats and non-GMO produce. All ingredients are guaranteed 100% Human Food Grade.
Our foods contain absolutely no by-products, added salt or sugar, chemical preservatives, artificial colors or flavors and NO beet pulp, rice, wheat, corn, or soy."

I was going to buy it for my yorkie when I first got him. But the shipping cost wold be to much.
Danielle

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:37:33 am »
hi,
I know around here some people who feed raw and go on holidays or to shows use origen (100% grain free)Our dogs all seemed to like it

http://www.championpetfoods.com/
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:27:34 am »
I frequent a holistic pet store where the owner really does her homework.
I was having the 'Origen' talk with her when she pointed out some things to think about.
What I didn't like was when Origen first came out, it had on the label "all meat veterinary inspected". (In my opinion, I can't see a vet going to school for upteen years and then standing on an assembly line looking at cows)
Don't know if that's on there still, but it made me suspicious.

She also said that it's not the high protein that's a problem, but the water content of the ingredients.

Raw diets incorporate the fresh meat.
If you take a cup of beef for example, and take out all the water content you would have way less than a cup left.
When foods are high in protein, that isn't the problem for most pets.  The problem is there isn't enough water going thru their systems to keep the kidneys hydrated so that they can do their job properly and that is why they end up over stressing.  If you have an animal that doesn't drink a lot of water in the first place, then the high protein in the food is a recipe for disaster.
This lady is hearing about more and more kidney problems in pets being fed a high protein 'dry' diet.
I am feeding my dogs a quality diet, but just found out that Luke is experiencing some kidney problems.  It's making me sick thinking I may have done this to him, even though his food is only 26% protein and 16% fat.  Being a mastiff, he drinks a LOT of water a day, so that isn't the issue.  I am now in research mode. 
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:37:14 am »
My boss swears by orijen dog food, she even pays $70(usa) for the large bag.  I can't stand paying that much money when i could feed raw and have a better food all around.  Titan is on raw, we went shopping yesterday and i purchased a small bag of pinnacle dog food and a small bag of back to basics (just for training) because it works well.  I came out in the family room where the dogs food is and the da*m cat opened both bags of the food.  GGGRRRRR i wish a dog would eat her.....(jk..or am i??)  I think that there is so much dog food that they need to make a standard...the aafco or whatever it is apparently does not do it's job appropriatly.  It drives me batty with so many different choices!! although i am glad there are choices, but i wish they had a chart that told you which was better than what. I wish that in the pet store..holisti c or not, could be bias and tell you there true feelings on a particular food.  i know everyone differs.  but whatever.... we will try this pinnacle forthis weekend and see how it goes..we are not soley going to give it to him though...perha ps a  cup before the show to get the edge of hunger off...aka not eat my hand in the ring...i think we might be ok...

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:44:59 am »
I wish I had all the choices you have for dog food. I have two choices for puppy food, Purina puppy chow or IAMS. They don't have any large breed puppy food. I don't have that much time to do a complete raw diet so we supplement.
I am thankful this thread was started as I get lots of information I hadn't thought about.
Danielle

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 11:25:10 am »
I wish I had all the choices you have for dog food. I have two choices for puppy food, Purina puppy chow or IAMS. They don't have any large breed puppy food. I don't have that much time to do a complete raw diet so we supplement.
I am thankful this thread was started as I get lots of information I hadn't thought about.

I just checked and I believe your breed is anywhere to about
100pds?
I fed my puppy adult food when he was little.
Didn't touch any puppy food.  After much research everyone said the same thing.  "Grow your puppy slowly!"
Large and giant breed puppies can grow too quickly.

Here is a quote from the site I have posted below.

It is true that high protein diets are also high fat diets and therefore they are high calorie diets and difficult for owners to manage the a months fed. But the real issue with growth problems is the relationship between the protein/fat/carbs in a diet, the calories per cup and the quality and availability of the macro and micro minerals in a food. When you do not have this equation in a diet, it causes uneven growth patterns between muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/knuckling_over.htm

Please check it out.
You are not doing your dog a favour by feeding Purina or Iam's.  (That is my opinion)  I refuse to buy any Proctor & Gamble product (Iam's) as they still do animal testing, and in fact tested a bunch with the tainted food.

Anyway, there are websites out there that will tell how to read a bag of food, and there are online companies that you can order food thru.

Here are some sites.

http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/What-is-in-Your-Dogs-Food.77020

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:26:44 pm »
I am fully aware of www.dogfoodana lysis.com
but when your choices are slim you do what you have to do. We have her on Iams because it had 21% protein vs 24% with purina.
I am doing more research about who can ship to me. And I am running into major roadblocks. But I may have found someone.

KC should be about 60-70lbs full grown. The size of a GSD or slightly smaller.
Danielle

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 04:51:19 pm »
I am fully aware of www.dogfoodana lysis.com
but when your choices are slim you do what you have to do. We have her on Iams because it had 21% protein vs 24% with purina.
I am doing more research about who can ship to me. And I am running into major roadblocks. But I may have found someone.

KC should be about 60-70lbs full grown. The size of a GSD or slightly smaller.

Ok, I found the site I was thinking of.
They offer free shipping for orders over $50 in the USA.
Would save you gas money!!!

http://www.k9cuisine.com/default.aspx#

Too bad Canada need not apply!

Click onto their products, then sort by manufacturer.
They carry:

Solid Gold
Eagle Pack Holistic Select
Innova
Candidae
Natural Balance & more.

Good Luck.

Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 06:12:22 pm »
Yep, They do not ship to us.
"We do not offer free shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or any other US address outside the continental United States. This includes but is not limited to military APO/FPO addresses. We do not export. As a result we can not ship to Canada or any address outside the United States. Our shipping policy is strictly limited to the 48 continental United States."

It would save on gas if I were in the US... At the moment I am paying 3.56 a gallon. I remember when it used to be 99 cents! UGH
Danielle