Author Topic: How many of you have picky eaters here?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
How many of you have picky eaters here?
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:19:59 pm »
Holy Cow. Miles is getting pickier and pickier each day! I swear. I have the hardest time getting him to eat these days. He will only eat when he feels like it...which is fine, but it seems like he eats barely anything. For example, today....he has eaten maybe 3 cups of food. That's half the amount I attempt to give him. Lately he's been eating 4 cups, but no more. And only if I add somethin special to it. And it better be something new and delicious. I try to hold out and see if he'll eat it without it, then he ends up eating just 2 cups. If I add stuff he'll eat 4...sometimes 6, but only once every 2 days or so. Is this ok? Is he just not as hungry since he's 9 months old now. Not going through such huge growth spurts. Or is he just spoiled and a picky eater? Should I try and get him to eat the whole 6 cups, or is it ok if he doesnt? Why can't he be like a normal dog and enjoy eating?
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have picky eaters here?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:25:27 pm »
3 cups sounds just enough :) He is not growing rapidly any more and his metabolism slowed down by now.
I have a REALLY picky eater here and my advise is that if you start adding stuff all the time it will only get worse ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »
My 200 pound Mastiff is a picky eater.  Go figure.  I have to mix canned food in with his kibble to get him to eat on a daily basis.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:17:58 am »
Najas appetite has slowed substantially as well, so I've just been giving her a little less food.  I add 2 tablespoons of yogurt in the am and some chicken broth for her pm meal.  2 cups of food each go around, she'll usually eat it all by the time her next meal comes around.  ;)

Modified to add:  But if there's any snacks around that she' not suppose to have, or if the word "Cookie" gets mentioned, she turns into my Great Piganees!   ::) :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:19:13 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:18:15 pm »
Yeah I was thinking the age too. According to the food he's on, on the website it says he should be eating 5 cups a day. Although I know that is just a guidline and each dog is different. I have heard that pyrs don't eat much because of their low metabolism too! ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:53:19 pm »
He's probably just going through the "not growing much" phase right now. As long as he's in good health and has a good feel to him I wouldn't worry. He looks great in his pictures! They do cut way back as they mature but if you have any concerns you could add a bit of chicken broth.(low sodium) Just a tad.

However, I am a bad example because I've been know to cook my own concoctions for my spoiled brats.  :-\ Then again, another solution is to bring another Fur Baby into the houshold. That always spurs an appetite. It's the "I'm gonna' eat it so you won't" syndrome.  ;)

He does look really good. I always go by the hand as the best grooming tool. That way you can really feel the condition. I not only brush & comb every day, but do the feel check as well. They love it.  :)