Author Topic: chewing problem  (Read 1983 times)

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
chewing problem
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:35:54 pm »
Hey all,

Kalli our almost 9 month old saint bernard has recently starting chewing on things again. She hasn't done this in over 3 months. We are first believed that it was because I had gone back to work and she was use to being alone all day. So we started crating her when we left the house. Well last night while we were sleeping she chewed the cords to our cable box and the remote control. I have heard that they go through a "second puppy stage" when they are a little older and I am not sure if thats what this is or not. My FI thinks we need to start crating her while we are sleep as well but I just hate to do that. Anyone have any ideas about what may be causing this and what can be done to stop/prevent it?
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
Re: chewing problem
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:12:15 pm »
Ahhhh the teen years! All that youthful energy has to have an outlet. Have you tried increasing the exercise time before bed? I used to go for long, rambling walks late at night with my last boy. Always felt safe, who's going to hassle you with a 'big dog' at the end of the leash?? Anyway, by the end of the walk we were both ready to sleep completely through the night. Really helped strengthen the bond between us and was great for practicing our obedience lessons without distraction. Remember, "A tired puppy is a good puppy"!! :)
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"