Author Topic: Derby went to school today: A BRAG!! (kinda long, but worth it)  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Derby and I went to The School for Exceptional Children today to read a story about a dog named Molly who went to a dog park and met a lot of other dogs. This is a public school for children with severe developmental disabilities - everything from Down's Syndrome to Autism to severe physical and cognitive disabilities.

The story had a lot of opportunities for the kids to interact with the story - it asks them to bark like sad dog, a bouncy dog, a sausage dog, etc. and has them sniffing the air and each other every time Molly meets a new dog.

Derby was a HIT - and he was soooo good! He greeted all the kids before we started the story. He was so gently and calm and the kids just loved him. There was one little girl in a wheelchair who was just kind of "there" when they brought her in. She couldn't see, but the teacher's aide put her hand out to touch Derby and he licked her hand and all of a sudden, her face just lit up!

We had so much fun and I am so proud of my boy! After the kids left, they brought in another little boy with severe autism. He couldn't say too many words or even speak those clearly. When he saw Derby, he screamed a little. He didn't want to pet Derby, but he wanted to be near Derby. He wanted to take the leash out of my hand so I let him have it. Normally, Derby pulls on his leash when I don't have him on the halti, but with this little boy he just walked around the cafeteria with a loose leash, wherever the little boy wanted to go.

The teacher said usually all this boy wants to do is bolt out the door, but she was amazed he didn't even try to escape once while he was leading Derby around. And, after about 15 minutes of walking Derby, he even got up enough courage to touch Derby's tail!

Derby gave out so many kisses and got so much attention today. I just can't stop talking about how proud I am of him and how much fun we had. I can't wait to do it again.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Derby went to school today: A BRAG!! (kinda long, but worth it)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:19:55 pm »
I'd love to put him through the Delta Society training, but there are not trainers in Louisiana. Do you know of any other certifications?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:01:24 pm »
Tina, don't make me cry, woman!!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:01:51 am »
Ahhhh, that's right, I'd forgotten how Derby came to you until just now.  I'm just sure that Tina is right.  You & Derby both must have made your friend really happy yesterday and caused smiles in Heaven.  I've seen how wonderfully children with disabilities & dogs relate to one another, and it is a very, very touching sight.  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:18:06 am »
What a great day you and Derby had!!  Way to go!! 

Harley's best friend Rusty (our next door neighbor) is a service dog for a 13 year old boy who has severe autism.  Rustys job is to find the boy when he wanders away...which is does often.  He alerts the family and then finds him.  A huge part of what Rusty does is social students who were afraid of Zach now will come up to him to see Rusty.  He has made a huge difference in the families life.

I wish I could do these things with Harley but he just isn't the right dog for it...or I'm not the right trainer.

Again, fabulous job please give Derby hugs from Harley and I.

Randy

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:23:42 pm »
What a great story.  Good job Derby!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat