Author Topic: New Show puppy  (Read 6757 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
New Show puppy
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:53:34 am »
Ok Buble is going to be a show dog hopefully!!  He is 8 weeks old.  When should we start the training with him? 
Do I need to go ahead and get a show lead and start with that or do I need to teach him to stack first?

Does anyone know the block technique?  This is when they learn to stand on wooden dumb bells and learn that if they put thier foot in the wrong position they might loose thier balance.  Our breeder said she used that technique but wasnt sure about it. 

Also we have a show that is coming up in a couple of weekends near our house.  Can we take him to get used to the atmosphere?  I know that usually you cant take dogs unless they are entered but everyone I have ever been to there were always dogs there that we obviously not entered. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New Show puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:20:49 pm »
You can start training your puppy to stack as soon as he arrives. Most breeders will stack their puppies for photos, so that you can see their potential, and they are learning that as well... ;) I dont suggest the stacking blocks, i dont use them and my girls stack on their own. Just place the legs yourself, and treat!! it seems to work, i didnt start jigsaw on a show lead til she was about 4 months, her first show was at 6 months (cause they cant enter any younger). Personally, i wouldnt suggest taking your pup to the show at that age, there are WAY too many risks involved. I do, however, suggest you go watch it, and get some tips from other handlers/breeders!!! :)
all the best of luck with your baby
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:06 pm »
Thanks
I wasnt sure about the blocks have just heard about them from the breeder

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:48 pm »
i know some people who use stackers on toy breeds- some who use cans of corn/soup etc. even LOL.i dont think it does much difference. as you can always place the dogs legs while in the ring also ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:07:15 pm »
The PBGVs have attention spans like a gnat so we do practice stacking at home but mostly are just teaching them just to stand still.  Done with lots of bribery and praise- by the time they hit the ring they can't wait to play "beautiful teeth".  If they have learned to stand still they will let you put their feet anywhere  I have never used the blocks and feel no need to. My Pyrs that show are stacked for the first time in the ring- but they too have learned to stand quietly when asked to.  Both breeds stand like a rock in the ring and hold their stacks as long as needed.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:20:12 pm »
You can get tapes with all the noises from dog shows and play it at home. That way puppy will get used to it and won't be stressed later ;)
I too wouldn't recommend taking your pup to the shows at this age.
When you stack or practice gaiting it's a good idea to video record yourself so you can see mistakes you are making :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:48:37 pm »
Definitely a no-no on taking your pup to a show at this age-Lord knows what kind of viruses are floating around, remember that all of these people have multiple dogs both at the show and at home and you have no idea what kind of health they are in, and your pup hasn't completed its DHPP shots.

Also, AKC rules are no one under show age allowed unless there's a match afterwords and then you can bring a 4 month old if theres a 4-6 class.. sometimes yes they turn a blind eye to it, but its still embarrasing if they decide not to and "kick you out"

I've used stackers on squirrely afghans and siberians before, but most of the time it's not necesary. It just takes a little more patience to gentle position the feet, hold and praise and give cookies. After a short time you'll see your dog stacking from across the room while staring at you in that "See?? See?? NOW THROW ME A COOKIE!" way.

Congrats and good luck!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:37:11 pm »
Thanks ffor the advice everyone.  I think that his first show is going to be in November but am not sure so we have plenty of work to do. 
Can we take a vidoe camera or voice recorder to these shows so that we can get the noises and play at home? Just wondering if not then we will buy one.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »

Can we take a vidoe camera or voice recorder to these shows so that we can get the noises and play at home? Just wondering if not then we will buy one.
Absolutely!!! You can record it yourself ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)