Author Topic: April swimming anyone?  (Read 7465 times)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
April swimming anyone?
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:26:18 pm »
Took Phelan to the dogpark today, nice bright sunny day, most of the snow has melted making it pretty muddy. Normally we walk down one side of the park, pass in front of the pond and walk along the other side. Today, however, the path was very muddy so I decided to turn back before we got to the pond. Apparently Phelan was not to be deterred, so when I called him to come, he ran in the other direction >:( So I followed him (thank god) and watched him walk out onto the still frozen over pond, calling him back the entire time. He has apparently decided today is the day of independence, walks out to the middle (15ft out) and CRASHES through!! Now my silly Bullmastiff LOVES the water but doesn't actually swim! So I gave him a chance to get his feet up onto the ice as I think most dogs would do. No, no feet up on the ice, just sinking and looking at me with sheer panic. So I of course being S.M.R.T walk out onto the ice KNOWING I too am going to crash through, get about a foot from him and fall through. Pull him up between us, crashing that barrier, get him in front of me holding him up and breaking the ice between us and shore. It was not warm :o Thank god I'm tall and could touch on my tip toes, and it was just a pond. Funny part (there is one) is I then walked back through the park absolutely drenched in the middle of April and no one said a word ::) Silly puppy- back to NILIF we go.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:36:29 pm by MeandPhelan »

lins_saving_grace

Re: April swimming anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:31:22 pm »
I hope it's ok to giggle about that...now you're ok and no one sank.  :)  That was a cute story. 
And no one wants to make a point to ask if you're ok anymore.  Maybe they think Phelan saved YOU.   
Well stay warm and try not to get sick from your cold spring swim.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:21:47 pm »
Oh my! That does not sound like a fun day at the dog park.  :P  Hope you're all toasty warm and dry now!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:57 pm »
Awww - poor you guys! You sound like you were calm, but were you really? I would have been completely insanely in a panic if one of my girls fell through ice and was sinking!!! Holy cow! You must have been freakin out! It's so lame that not one person asked if everything was alright, too. So listen, you know I have Phelan on my kidnap list. DO NOT throw him in any more frozen ponds! sheesh.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:06:01 pm »
Oh, that must have been scary but now you have a good story at least :)  Glad you're both ok!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:29 pm »
Awww - poor you guys! You sound like you were calm, but were you really? I would have been completely insanely in a panic if one of my girls fell through ice and was sinking!!! Holy cow! You must have been freakin out! It's so lame that not one person asked if everything was alright, too. So listen, you know I have Phelan on my kidnap list. DO NOT throw him in any more frozen ponds! sheesh.

I actually just last week completed a water rescue course, so it was fresh in my mind. Unfortunately we were training to rescue people, not pups, and Phelan is a little more important than the average person :-* I think I was too focused on saving my pup than being scared but it was definitely deeper and colder than I had anticipated!! I promise not to "throw" him in any more ponds, in fact i'm hoping that he's learned to stay away from frozen ponds!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:40:25 pm »
Well Phelan better thank his lucky dog bones that you are an expert water rescuer.   i bet that wasn't part of the plan behind getting that certification though. 

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:14:35 pm »
You should see if you get some kind of special extra credit or extra title for a giant dog water rescue!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 12:55:20 am »
Good to hear you are both OK.  Sounds like Phelan swims as well as my Bull Mastiff did.  15 Years ago I had to dive off a dock into early spring norther MN waters when she fell off my dock and into the drink at my cabin.  I am not sure what was greater, her fear or my shrinkage.   ;)
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 05:50:35 am »
Well Phelan better thank his lucky dog bones that you are an expert water rescuer.   i bet that wasn't part of the plan behind getting that certification though. 

LOL. I actually walked away from the course thinking "I am NEVER jumping in to save anyone, both of us will end up drowning", an expert swimmer I am not. Fortunately for Phelan, I'm stupid and went in anyway :-\ And Mojo-LMAO ;D
edited because I can't spell
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 05:51:25 am by MeandPhelan »

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:29:13 am »
Glad to hear you are both ok - That would have truly sent me for a loop.  We avoid all water/frozen rivers and ponds/lakes once we hit March 15th up here - I would not be as brave as you!  Sad, though, that no one noticed you were both a bit drenched.
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 02:06:23 am »
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrr!!!   :o  :o  That sounds like a very harrowing experience.  I'm just really glad that you're both ok! 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile