Author Topic: Beef (CAribou/Moose) Jerky for Dogs???  (Read 2533 times)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Beef (CAribou/Moose) Jerky for Dogs???
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:43:13 am »
I make a mean caribou jerky for humans but am concerned about all the salt (pre-packaged mixes).  We have quite a stock of moose and caribou that would be great for the pups - but I haven't any idea how to prepare it.  Can I just slice it up and use the dehydrator without the mixes or is there a recipe - I can't find one on the web.  UGHHHH  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Beef (CAribou/Moose) Jerky for Dogs???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:21 am »
Hey send some of that down here!!!! I was just reading how good moose and caibue is for dogs!!! I am sure it would be fine to use as a treat, i would just dehydrate it with mild flavor, if any at all.  Hey where do you get a dehydrater? I need one here...especia lly when we go away it would be so handy!

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Beef (CAribou/Moose) Jerky for Dogs???
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »
Thanks!  I wasn't sure about what to use with the meat.  I will check out the stores for a more mild flavoring than I currently have on hand.  My husband's theory is just feed it to them raw and frozen (He is from above the arctic circle - the home of the sled dog and that's how he grew up).  I just can't do that.  We got our dehydrator at the local Walmart in the small appliance aisle.  Krogers (Fred Myer) also stocks them up here.  Needless to say they are very useful up here in the Last Frontier (hahahaha).  Good Luck - You might also try any camping or outdoors type store - but they may be more pricey there)
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)