Author Topic: ah, when dumb people brag...  (Read 6873 times)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
ah, when dumb people brag...
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:03:01 pm »
Don't you hate it when people who obviously don't know what they're talking about insist on voicing their opinions AND are convinced they are awesome?  :-\ Anyone with me?

You see, a while ago, I met this one friend of my mom's and her 'tard boyfriend's. They always say great things about him and his family, so I was going into this thinking this was some great family ... well, I had Frida with me (this was before Lucca's time), so the conversation turned to dogs... and then the guy starts talking about how he used to have a bull terrier and BRAGS about FIGHTING the dog!!  :o  >:( >:( how he made her aggressive and then would let her lose to attack when they saw a group of dogs in the street (probably homeless, but who knows!)!!!! and he was all smiles and pride and somehow thought that was funny! I didn't even wait for him to finish the story, just shook my head, gave him a glare and walked away. Later I told my mom that no decent person would fight dogs and therefore I couldn't stand his guts -so if she wants me to visit, she better not invite scum like that  >:(

I was reminded of this because a few days ago some guy that lives in one of the buildings on my street saw me with Lucca and approached us (can't wait for Lucca to get big and intimidate jacka**es so that they don't come near... of course, he already loves everyone -but they don't know that!). He was telling me how he used to have a saint that was 260 lbs!!  :o Now, he was definitely proud and bragging, and more than likely exaggerating (said the dog got so big because he was working at a restaurant and would feed him all sorts of scraps -steak, lobster, blah, blah), but that anyone would even consider that a dog getting that size is healthy, let alone good! I seriously doubt the dog was tall enough to be proportionate. ..

ugh...

on days like that, I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots -so I spend the day inside with my dogs and cat  ;)

ever have anything like this happen??

**modified because I wasn't sure if I could say -write- that here!**
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 10:05:23 pm by Rosalba »
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: ah, when dumb people brag...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:22:42 pm »
For some people their dogs are just extensions of their ego - or their stupidity .....

Yeah, I've had stuff like that happen to me (not about dogs, though) - about electric bass playing.  So many idiots, so few bullets!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:13:47 am »
"So many idiots, so few bullets!"
LMAO

Yeah it happens whether it is Dogs or kids.  :-[ You just don't know what those people are thinking... or rather my MIL.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:49:03 am »
Boy, can I relate! The first Saint we had was in the early 70's and this was all new to us. We were attending obedience class in our air base's rec center when some zoomie came up to admire 'Sundance'. Of course he had had a Saint, "maybe mixed with some thing else", that weighed....and here he looked at the Dancer and you could just see him trying to figure out how much he might weigh. And of course his just had to weigh more, so he says... 600 pounds!! I'm trying desperately to keep a straight face while my husband gravely and sincerely replies, "Wow, I'll bet he was part bear". Delighted with having impressed us the young man agreed to that possibility and walked proudly away. Sometimes you just have to accept the futility of trying to educate the profoundly ignorent. My pet peeve is the folks with small dogs who think it is so very funny that their little "FiFi" can charge up to the big dog and bark hysterically in it's face until it 'runs away'. It never seems to occur to them that if we didn't have our big guys well socialized and well trained, FiFi could die! As for those actually wanting to see dogs fight, all I can do is agree with 4 leaf clover, too few bullets! It really is unfortunate that there are  soooo many people out there without the brains the gods gave a chicken.
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:13:19 am »
We get the same thing.. My Saint weighted this... My response (if I'm in the mood to be nice, ;) ) concerning the weight comments is Wow.. he/she must have been severely overweight. :D If I'm in a not so good mood, I'll call them on it. I can't stand it when people do that. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. LOL

Some guy in the pet store stops me and say What does he weight 200.. 250? LMFAO Bubba weighs a measly 128 pounds right now. He's has high energy for a Saint and I can't keep weight on the bugger. Plus 30 pounds of that is probably his big fat head. LOL I think 150 pounds on him would be borderline obese. I couldn't imagine him weighing 200 or 250. I'd need to roll him outside to go potty. LOL

Don't worry though.. once Lucca hits about 5 months old you'll have people crossing the street just so they don't have to walk past you.  :-\ That's my experience anyway. But it cuts down on the comments. LOL Unless of course you run into a big dog lover or someone from BPO.. I've made my hubby stop the truck so I could pet a Newf some guy was walking. LOL
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:13:58 am by Lyn »

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:31:34 am »
lol with some of the comments made, we stand there and listen and walk away silent...we try to understand the stupid comments about a horse or a saddle, or front end loader to pick up after them...now we just have a straight face and walk away.....it is sooo irritating after a while..or the best .... (as they look at there tiny paw0 look he could eat you for dinner.....som etimes i want to tell them you wanna try? please ...do.....

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:44:29 am »
Amazing how free people feel to engage strangers in a conversation for the sole purpose of "one upping" them! Most people avoid us because they assume Tani is some evil rabid pittie that will automatically take their heads off and pick her teeth with their bones. She's a 60 pound mutt!! And she's full grown!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Gemz

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:16 am »
in one of my puppy classes a few years ago there was an older man with a BCollie, there was also an Akita in his class. After it being mentioned many times in class about my boy, this old man comes up to me and says, "I hate Akita's, they smell and they are vicious, i dont know why anyone would want to have one, do you like yours?" he was completely serious.

who was it who said not enough bullets?

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:50:11 am »
I can fully relate, we went in PetsMart, well my mom and I with Mally (yorkie/shih tzu mix) and Adak. We walk in Mally directly beside Adak looking up and him, him looking at her. 2 ladies with small dogs, larger than Mally, pick up their dogs and start walking fast, then one lady comes and asks if Adak is a wolf, I reminded them that he was a malamute then I get the nice, how much does he eat and poop. I told them that it depends on if he get raw food...well that started another set of questions, thank goodness some children and their mom came up they had a husky and wanted to pet him, I was able to ignore the stupid people and talk to the kids, who were a lot more educated about big dogs than the adults before.  ;) The adults kept eyeing Adak until we left the store, and I swear everyone with smaller dogs would walk away from us and Mally was right there...the nerve of some people.

Here is a pic of him sleeping on my bed which HE messed up, guess he did not like the blankets.

**guess my story was more of dump people since no one bragged.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:50:57 am by LuvmyMal »