Author Topic: New BIG puppy!  (Read 13679 times)

Offline Katys Tank

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New BIG puppy!
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:56:32 pm »
Our family owns dachshunds and has for 12 years. This week we rescued a rather large, well, HUGE! puppy from a shelter. We have been told that he is a Newfie but we are not sure if he is or not. He is very large and at 10 to 12 weeks, he is already 30 pounds. I am hoping that there are folks here that will weigh in and tell me what you think?

Thanks!!

I own 10 dachshunds, 1 Newfoundland, and 9 horses!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New BIG puppy!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:13 pm »
He looks like a newfie to me  :) Welcome!!! What a great looking pup you have :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:59:21 pm »
We have malamutes and huskies so I am useless when it comes to breed - but whatever he is he is absolutely HANDSOME!  Enjoy him!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline Katys Tank

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
Thanks! Yes he is beautiful! We love him already but are just wondering WHAT he is?!!  :D

My name is Tia by the way. Tank belongs to my daughter, Katy.

Offline Katys Tank

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:05:37 pm »
I am sure Katy will post here as well. I am at work and just happened to find this site. Lots of great stuff here!

Offline Katys Tank

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 03:36:34 pm »
Hi, This Katy, Tia's daughter. Tank is the most well behaved, biggest, sweetest puppy I have ever met. lol The thing is, if you have had a dachshund, any other breed seems easy! lol He is laying right beside me on the floor, asleep. He is sooo adorable! He loves to play outside and loves puddles! But, his favorite thing to do is sleep!

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 04:02:14 pm »
Hi Katy and Tia! WELCOME! I've never been blessed with a Newf myself - but I LOVE them dearly. He's beautiful!

My name is Jane and I'm 'Mom' to Rainbow and Whisper. Rainbow's very best friend in the World - next to Whisper - is an adorable and extremely sweet little Doxie.

Offline Katys Tank

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 04:05:51 pm »
Thank you all for your kind welcome! Katy has always wanted a BIG dog and looks like she has one now! He is a doll baby and we are tickled to have him. This will be Katy's place for fun but I will stop by on occasion and say hello! Thanks again for making us feel so welcome!

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 04:52:43 pm »
Hi, Katy and Tia! What a beautiful puppy you have there!  I agree that he does look like a sweet Newfie!  I am very new here at BPO, and recently rescued a Newf/Great Pyr mix and you can see him in my avatar...Balth azar is more Newfie than Pyr in his appearance, I think!

Have fun with him...I, too, have other small dogs and there is just something truly special and magical about the big one! :)

Love,
Jen
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:39:30 pm »
oh my - what a BIG bundle of cuteness! 
Welcome to the board!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »
he looks newfyish.  :)  I love the way he's in your arms...like... ummmmm....Mom????  I can breath...i'm bent all up and I can't ... breath...Mom?...gasp gasp gasp.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 05:55:31 pm »
Thanks! Yes he is beautiful! We love him already but are just wondering WHAT he is?!!  :D

My name is Tia by the way. Tank belongs to my daughter, Katy.

Nice to meet ya.  BTW...you will soon reverse that last statement...yo u belong to Tank. 
I'm ok with it...I know I belong to Grace.  It's never going to be the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:55:51 pm by Lin »

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:32:45 pm »
What a cute puppy!  Looks like a Newf to me.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

lookingfornewf

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 09:23:25 pm »
He looks very much like a newf to me. Clifford weighed 25 pounds at 9 weeks when I got him so the weight sounds about right. I'm glad you think he is the best behaved puppy right now because you are in for a world of fun. Clifford started reaching the counters about a month ago at 6 months old. He has eaten loafs of bread, bags of jujubes, 2 watchbands, 2 toothbrushes and a tube of toothpaste to go with them, gotten dishes out of the sink, etc. Of course he looks at you with that cute face and gives you several big slurpy kisses and doesn't really get in trouble. I usually just run for the camera and take pictures. Have lots of fun and post lots and lots of pictures. All of us here live for cute puppy pictures. ;D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
the bigger the better!!! :)  i can't believe how different meeting a little dog is to me now.  I have to readjust the strength i put into picking them up (as not to send them through the cloud layer of the ozone as if they wieghed I don't know about as much as a Rottweiler) and rethink how much to feed one (as a little dog will spend all day trying to finish an entire bucket of big dog food.) 

Big dogs are a breed of their own.