Author Topic: Natural Balance Allergy Free dog food - info and/or opinions?  (Read 15742 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Well Sierra's incessant itching has improved ever so slightly.  Her hair is still really thin on her rump area and tail and she still has short hair (for a Newf) due to the scratching.  The vet has ruled out everything except mange (which she didn't think it was but she treated Sierra for it anyway) and a flea bite allergy.  I have been careful about not missing any of her flea prevention treatments, but she is still scratching.  The vet hasn't tested for food allergies because she is pretty confident that it is not a food allergy due to Sierra being so young.  I can't think of anything else it could be.  I'm using moisturizing shampoos so her skin doesn't dry out.

Anyway, I took her to Superpetz to get her a few toys (because the tractor trailer size box she has now just isn't enough :D) and the manager just fawned all over her for about a half hour.  And for once she didn't say how small she was - LOL.  Anyway, Sierra started to itch and the manager thinks it is a food allergy and gave me 2 entire cases of Natural Balance Grain Free Allergy Formula dog food samples.  Has anyone tried this and have an opinion on it?  Sierra absolutely loves the food, and from what I have seen it seems like it's at least comparable nutritionally to the Canidae that I'm feeding her now.  I am by no means a food expert which is why I am turning to BPO.  The manager gave me the Sweet potato and fish formula and the Sweet potato and duck formula.  It's actually more expensive than the Canidae, but if it works, I don't care the cost.  I just want my poor girl to have some peace from this constant itching.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Balance Allergy Free dog food - info and/or opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:25:54 am »
Awwww...poor Sierra!  But how lucky she is to have such a caring, dedicated mommy to love her! :)

I have never tried that food, BUT...a friend of mine who lives in Asheville, NC had a similar problem with one of her dogs.  She took her dog to a holistic vet who suggested the Natural Balance allergy formulas and now she swears by it.  I don't know if the root of the issue was, in fact, a food allergy or not for her dog.  I just remember that when she gave her the Natural Balance, the skin and coat condition improved greatly and there was a lot less scratching!  Hope this helps....

It sure was nice of the store to offer you plenty of samples. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Sierra. Please let us know how it works out...I am sure there are other dog caregivers who will look forward to learning how this does!

Love,
Jen
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:11:13 am »
Awww, poor Sierra, itching is miserable.  Daisy has been on Natural Balance Duck & Potato for 2 years now and it's been wonderful for her.  She has IBD & allergies (probably to chicken, corn & who knows what all else), so this is the only food that doesn't cause her to have diarrhea, vomiting or miserable itchy rashes.  I haven't tried the NB Grain-Free Allergy Formula that you mentioned (this is the first that I've heard of it actually), but I know that the D&P works well for Daisy.  However, the NB D&P treats don't work for her, I think b/c they have molassas in them.  If we stick to nothing but duck, potato & green beans (she loves them!  ;)) then Daisy does well, any other treats and we have a miserable little girl.  I hope that you find the right combo for Sierra too.  Please give her a hug for me.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:19:09 am »
There are only five foods that I will use for the rescues (or my dogs for that matter):

Nutro Ultra
Canidae
Natural Balance Allergy Free
Flint River
Solid Gold Wolf Cub (for lrg breed pups)

I really like natural balance for dogs with skin issues- we had great luck with it for the lab we had who had very itchy paws and ears and would break out in scabs.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:00:57 am »
My Lanie(lab) developed food allergies and has been on NB Duck and Potato for about 6 months. No throwing up or itching.  Its been wonderful for her.  Other than the "priceyness" of it, I swear by it...we will use nothing else for her!  Good Luck with Sierra

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:27 am »
Breeze is on NB Sweet Potato and Fish and is doing WONDERFUL on it. No more bouts of loose stool, and her ears have seemed to clear up.
Only draw back is the price 39.50 for 28lbs.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:33:24 pm »

Only draw back is the price 39.50 for 28lbs.

Consider yourself very lucky.  Even with our dollar being pretty well at par with the US.  Our 28lb bag is over $70 and the normal ultra NB is $68 YIKES!  :o
:oOUCH!! :o
If the cost was that here I'm sorry to say that Breeze would have to live with the bouts and ear meds.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:21:45 am »
Well, she has been eating just the sweet potato and fish right now.  I guess it's been almost a week.  The manager at the store said to give her 4 weeks to see any improvement.  So I may see improvement sooner than that? 

If this doesn't work, I don't know what else to do.  The last time I went to the vet I brought in a big duffel bag of ANYTHING I thought could be causing her to itch - shampoo, treats, the fish oil pills I give her, dog food labels, cat food labels (because she gets into that all the time), any anti-itch stuff we've been putting on her in case they were actually making things worse.  The vet didn't suspect any of them.  I just don't know what else to do except sit and watch her suffer.  I have exhausted everything I could think of.  I'm just praying this works for her.  I guess I will let you know.  Thanks for all of your help.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 05:52:16 am »
Most vets will tell you to do a food trial for 12 weeks if you see no improvement then try something else. I have seen changes in Breeze in just the 2 weeks shes been on NB SP&F. I plan on doing the 12 weeks to see if she continues to be clear of her issues.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 05:57:30 am »
I bet you anything it is food allergies! Harley had the same thing and we couldn't figure out what it was. The vet right away said food allergies and we switched her to a raw diet combo with a chinese herbal powder and boom her itchy skin is gone!  ;D WOOOHOOO and her fur is super soft and beautiful. The vet said he could give her a pill(antibiotic or steriod not sure which one) that would get rid of the itch but is causes liver damage. The herbal doesn't cause organ damage. So we went the herbal route. I'm trying to find out the name of it online. Also sulfur pills can help to. We tried with Harley but it didn't work as well as the herbal powder.

Nina

Edit- the herbal stuff is called Modified Long Dan Xie Gang Tang

I hope the new food works out.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:12:34 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:14:55 am »
I just can't think of what else it could be.  The vet really dismissed the food allergy option because she said she's too young to have a food allergy.  I didn't think it made a difference how old they are, but hey, I'm not a vet.  I still would have liked her to check anyway just to put my mind at ease. 

Anyway, I hope this diet change proves it IS a food allergy because, even though it may lighten my wallet quite a bit, at least I would finally know the cause and what to do to prevent it.  It's heart-breaking to see your baby suffer and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it from happening.  I'm sure we've all been there at some point and know what a terrible feeling it is. 

Now I need to go home and give her some lovin' :-*.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:17:17 am by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 08:50:07 pm »
What brand of flea stuff are you using? Most topicals do not repel fleas, so she could still be getting bite by them even if you are using it as directed.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:45:23 am »
The vet recommended Frontline Plus.  And we did have a problem for fleas for a while last summer, but haven't seen one for about two months, and the cats are free of them too.

I don't think I can let her go for that long without a bath, I try to wait as long as I can but, honestly, she starts to stink again about a week after a bath.  About two or two and ahlf weeks she is at the point where we don't even like her n the same room with us because she is smelling up the place.  And your hands just feel dirty after petting her.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:17:03 am »
If a dog has a flea allergy it can take only one bite and you will see the symptoms. It is my understanding that Frontline Plus does NOT repel fleas. The only one that does in Advantix. You may want to switch and see if that helps.

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:41:57 am »
My Luke did very well on the Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe and fish.  He seemed to like it better than the Duck.
Of course he inhales everything, so I wasn't sure!
The only reason I switched is because I can now get Solid Gold at almost wholesale.
All the top quality foods that I can get here on the west coast of Canada, are around the $60 - $70 range.  Wow, $38 is what the stores pay!  That would be soooo cool.
I usually order my food twice a year.  I am paranoid about an
emergency happening and me running out of food for the boys.

(PS: I used a homeopath to evaluate both my boys and tell me what foods to avoid.  I think my Luke is itch free for the first time in his life!  I got him last year at 7, with horrible skin and ear infections.  He has now not had any issues for almost 9 months ;D  It makes me very happy, as I'm sure he is also pleased!  I will pass on her web site if you are interested)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:49:33 am by mastiffmomoftwo »
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)