Author Topic: Dog car safety?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
Dog car safety?
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:19:24 am »
I'm sorry I  keep asking so many questions and making so many posts...I'm just in love with Balthazar AND with BPO!

I would be grateful for feedback on how to ensure Balthazar's safety when traveling with us in the car.  Right now, he is great...there are no problems to correct or any disruptive behaviors. He is like an angel...once he is in the back seat, he will lay down.  If my husband is driving and I'm in the passenger seat, he likes to climb into my lap (yes, he is a Newf/Pyr mix!), and although it's absolutely adorable and heartwarming, I would like to make sure he is traveling safely.

This is really uncharted territory for us. Our other two dogs are tiny, and our Lexi who passed away was a medium sized sweetheart but she would simply go to sleep for a car ride.

What is safest for our giant dogs while in the car?

Thanks for any help!

Love,
Jen and Balthie
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Dog car safety?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:08:17 pm »
Hi! Brooklily uses a seatbelt that allows about, i would say, 2 feet of mobility.There are others that keep the dog completely stationary, but they appeared uncomfortable. You buy a seperate harness and attach it to the seatbelt, which then clicks right in to the vehicle's already existing ( ummm what would you call them?)  seatbelt clickers ??? Anyway it keeps her from pushing her way upfront and safe from injury if there was ever an accident. She can still lay down and reach her head toward me   for a pat :). It is really simple and easy. I keep it all attached and just put the harness on when she jumps in. We ride everyday and never without it. I was rear ended with my other girl( savannah) in the backseat and  120 pounds of bulldog went flying into the front.She was not hurt , thank god, but I learned my lesson! Drive safe!!!
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:06:22 pm »
Thank you guys so much!  I was not aware of the special seatbeat attachments for dogs, but will be sure to use them now that I know! :)

Love,
Jen and Balthie :)
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:00 am »
I have a two foot lead wrapped through the head rest posts on the rear seats of my Yukon. I clip Tani's collar to that, and she sits pretty and looks out the window like a good girl. She probably couldn't lay down due to the short lead, but we don't go far away, and she'd rather be looking out anyway. Kai is too little for that, so I put her next to me on the front bench seat, and wrap her long leash around the fold up armrest thingy so she can sit or lay as she pleases, but doesn't get between me and the steering wheel.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 02:59:38 am »
Looks like a good product Julie! :) I should try this one...as of right now Lily just lays in the back seat like a good girl ;D
It's funny though about petsmart. It says "Do not seat dogs in front of an activated air bag; backseat use is recommended." And yet they have a picture of rottie sitting in front of one :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)