Author Topic: crate training  (Read 5251 times)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
crate training
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:34:50 pm »
I have to put my big girl (9 months old) into a crate every morning before I go to work. She has never been crated till now and she is not too happy with it. She has to be pushed in and then sits there and looks so sad. We have only been doing this for a couple of days but I guess I'm feeling guilty. It's a "mom thing".
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: crate training
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »
you have to make them want to be in the crate.  You want to use treats in the crate...you do not want to force her into the crate in any way, plus you don't want to leave her for 8 hours in the crate her first few days either.  She needs to know that you are coming back, there is a lot of information on here about it, i will find the posts for you!

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:35 pm »

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:39:38 pm »
oopps...sorry. .. ::) ::)what i ment for crating for 8 hours is.... when you are teaching her to kennel up, it is just not ideal to put her in and leave for the day.....she most certainly can be there for 8 hours...but just not at first, slowly introduce to her.  (Slowly can be 1 day, 1 hour, not over time) Just at her speed not yours!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:03:13 am »
Thanks for the website and the info. I have been giving her favorite treat when she is in and I do place toys and hide treats for her. When I come home she is just laying quietly in there and not going crazy to get out. Do you guys think since she is good all during the night out of the crate that perhaps I could start leaving her unattended for short periods of time and work up to during the day. She is really good with potty stuff and seems to know her toys from shoes etc. My goal is to allow her free roam during the day but not sure if there is an age that danes can accomplish this. She is my first dane.
Mom to:
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:46:41 am »
Thanks guys for all the help. She is such an awesome dog, I just love being a Great Dane Mommy!!
Mom to:
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09