Author Topic: Getting majorly frustrated :'(  (Read 4900 times)

Offline willowtree

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Getting majorly frustrated :'(
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:20:55 am »
  Hi all.  Let me first say that I love my puppy Maddox (now ~5 months old).  However, I do not love the behavior he has begun in the last week.  He has begun to nip at me HARD!!!! and will not stop, to the point where I can barely walk around the apartment.  Pushing into the nip, a stern uh-uh or no, and spending extra time doing training have not helped.  I don't want to put him in his crate because I don't want him to think that the crate is a place of punishment (we just recently got him to "hang out" in his crate and like it). He nips very fast and very hard, over and over again.  He just recently started getting in his adult teeth and these nips have broken my skin.  I'm just so frustrated because it hurts a lot and nothing I do seems to make it stop!!!!

He never does this to my boyfriend, and will only do it to me when my boyfriend is not around.  It has built up to the point that whenever my boyfriend is not home, he does it constantly.  He also tried to hump me the other day (while nipping), even though he is neutered.  We figure he is trying to challenge my spot in the pack and show his dominance.  I just want to know how I can keep it in check and walk around without getting painful puncture marks!!!

What happened to my sweet, adorable puppy?  I mean, he's still sweet and adorable, but it's like Jekyl and Hyde!   I know this is something I have to be patient with and work with him, but at this point, our normal "no stop that" actions are not working.  Any suggestions?

Maddox-- My big black something mix puppy

Offline willowtree

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Getting majorly frustrated :'(
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:51:27 am »
Thanks!  I know it is just a stage, it's just so hard to deal with when it hurts so much!!!

I will try the spray bottle and high-pitched noise.  He has frozen wash cloths and a plethora of other chewy toys but I seem to be his new favorite...  :)

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:50:14 am »
Also, its not only about dealing with the nipping directly. You have to also (like Jenn said) be working with him CONSTANTLY to establish yourself as his leader. Make him sit before he eats, make him sit before he gets a pet, make him sit before you give him a treat or a toy. He just needs to know that you are in charge.

As far as using the crate for punishment/time out, I would go ahead and do it, but just make sure its time out. Like, don't yell at him and put him in his crate while he's angry, but when he gets too worked up, put him in there for, exactly like Tina said, time out. A place to chill and settle down. Not a punishment, but a place to compose yourself...er. .himself. You know what I mean? As long as you aren't angry when you put him in and still make it pleasant for him, then I think its perfectly fine.

Oh, and the number one thing is make sure that boy is getting enough exercise! A tired puppy is a NICE puppy! Walk him, play catch, play fetch, take him swimming, whatEVER you can do to make him all wore out! :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:51:12 am by Nicole »

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 10:05:12 am »
OK hun,
First of all, I am calling you hun because I have been there and done that!!!!  I feel like we are sista's in the doggie adolescence stage!!!
Do what these people tell you...I did and they know what they're talking about.  I by no means am an expert, but you have made your best first move by consulting real dog owners for their opinion.  Great job.
Kana went through this "stage" for a long time. He harrassed me for awhile and honestly, not until recently do I feel like I finally have good control of him. I am always scared that "KRAZY KANA" will come back when John's not home.  He has surprised me lately (could it really be maturity??)and been the model dog at home!
Unfortunatly, you have your worst puppy time in front of you, but like I said, listen to these people, they have the best advice!!!! 
Good luck, and if all else fails...messag e me and I am sure that I have been through a similar hellish experience!
 :D
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline willowtree

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:39:01 am »
Thanks for all the great advice.  I'm kind of relieved that I was already sort of on the right track... tons of chewy toys, lots of walks outside, and consistant behavior/obedience training.  It takes a lot to wear him out-- my dad took him on a "short" jog last week while visiting me that turned out to be four miles long!  I got home an hour after they had gotten back and Maddox was still zooming around the room  ::)  We already do NILF is free kind of training, so he has to sit, lie down, or stay for everything from food to toys to going out to play.

I had instant results yesterday with a small spray bottle of water.  After two little sprays after the nipping, accompanied by a firm uh-uh, no more biting for the rest of the afternoon or evening!  He looked tempted a few times, but I kept the spray bottle hooked on to my belt and one look reminded him.  This morning he tried once, but I picked up the spray bottle and he instantly stopped before I even had to spray and started licking me instead.

Thanks again for all the great advice.  It's so good to have an arsenal of things to try from experienced dog owners!!