Author Topic: Territorial "squirts" allover the house - PLEASE HELP!!!!!  (Read 5124 times)

Offline 4mydogchip

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Territorial "squirts" allover the house - PLEASE HELP!!!!!
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:29:34 pm »
Hey everyone!!

I'm new to this site. Seems really neat. Here's my situation. I have a nearly 2 year old male chocolate lab and he's the most kind and affectionate dog I've ever been around.
He's just great in every way except one. He's constantly peeing little squirts in various spots around the house. He was very easily house trained when we got him at first, and I'm sure he realizes that he must go outside to "potty" because he never poops in the house nor does he completely empty himself out inside the house. It's always just a little bit as if to mark his territory. And every time I find a fresh spot, I call him over,( and I can tell he knows what he's done because I'm not using a strict tone at this  point, and he already holds his head down in shame.) I  show him the "spot", talk to him in a strict tone, and  he walks himself to his cage and I lock him in for a while. But despite the punishment, we find a fresh spot the next day.           
He hasn't been neutered yet because we had the intention of finding him a mate, but that fell through. So now, even though neutering him at his age may not solve the problem( wich I was not aware of, by the way) I still made an appointment to get it done in two weeks from now because I heard it helps prevent other complications later on. So the big question is : If neutering him doesn't change his squirting habits, what the heck do I do???

Thanks for hearing me out. javascript:void(0);
Smiley     

Offline nkp

• Ankle Biter
  • This is Mr. Cuddle Buttons Pic
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Pottery and Pottery  Beads
Re: Territorial "squirts" allover the house - PLEASE HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:23:23 pm »
Will he still squirt if he is on a leash inside the house?

My chow mix started to squirt when I first brought Mr. Cuddle Buttons home.  After I realized he was going that, I put him on the leash when inside and he stopped.  It took about a week to find all the squirts and clean them, and another week for the odor to finally go away ... WHEW! 

The puppy I keep on the leash indoors at all time, or in the crate.  They just can't help themselves. When they gotta go, they just go!

Good luck with that!  Don't clean it with Pine Sol ... it seems to amplify the odor. White vinegar helps, so does baking soda if it is carpet until you can get to the store to get the good stuff that was already recommended.
Natalie

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:35:50 pm »
I have a few thoughts...

You might need to re-potty train him. You could crate train him, and I would also consider putting him on a house lead (basically keeping him on a leash so he'd near you), and then you can see when he is doing it, and startle him with a loud noise (like pennies in a coke can), which will make him stop. When he starts to pee after you startle him so he stops inside, you take him outside and reward him with a treat for peeing outside.

Also, like has been mantioned before, make sure you are thouroughly cleaning the area with a odor killing that kills the the urine enzymes (they're more likely to pee again if it smells like urine). One of the best ones I know is "natures miracle" which comes in a red and white bottle and you can buy in most pet stores.

Finally, if this is a new behavior, I would absolutely collect a urine sample and take it to the vet to make sure he does not have a urinary tract infection, which could cause him to have to strain to pee (hence the small bits) and also cause him to pee at inappropriate times and places (hence the peeing inside)
RIP former BPO

Offline 4mydogchip

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:15:37 am »
Thank you everyone for all the great advice. This is my first pet, so I've got more to learn. Now that I know about this site, I might be posting more questions later. And maybe eventually, actually be able to help out with some suggestions of my own.

Thanks Again!!!!