Author Topic: Dripping urine ... what to do?  (Read 17561 times)

Offline SHEL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dripping urine ... what to do?
« on: April 25, 2008, 08:36:31 am »
Hello all! I have a long story but I will try to keep it short. Today I looked at a 3 yr old female for our family and fell in love with her she was great, she just need a bath and better care, diet. she lives with a elderly couple and while we were there visiting her to see if she would fit our family we did notice that she was dripping urine which is not really a good thing. I was wondering what we can do? I am hopeing for a UTI that can be taken care of but I am not sure where we should go and do as to she is not ours and I don't think the owners now will take her to the vet to find out as they are giving her away FREE and I don't think we should really fall in love with her more and find out that it could be something bad. She fot our family GREAT very mellow with my kids and myself, she didn't even bark at us when we first meet her just sat down adn leaned against us and licked alot.Help us if you can PLEASE!!!

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Dripping urine ... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:16:37 pm »
dripping urine?  Id guess infection or urinary incontinence. You could always ask them if you can take her urine to the vet! Thats all they need anyway is a sample and they can test it right away. If it is negative for infection - it is most likely urinary incontinence and medication daily will help with that. I say - go for it! Get her home, love her to death and take her to the vet... Good luck!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dripping urine ... what to do?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:17 pm »
dripping urine?  Id guess infection or urinary incontinence. You could always ask them if you can take her urine to the vet! Thats all they need anyway is a sample and they can test it right away. If it is negative for infection - it is most likely urinary incontinence and medication daily will help with that. I say - go for it! Get her home, love her to death and take her to the vet... Good luck!

Just what I was going to say!
If she and your family are a match, go get her right now and take her to the vet!  good luck!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline SHEL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:01:56 am »
Well it is NOT a UTI. The owner did take her to their vet and the vet called me. She thinks that she was just nervious.And i did find out that she is fixed, the older couple didn't remember and she is 4 not 3 but I still want her. so on Sat. we will be bringing her home. Just need to find a place that is open on Sat. for a bath before she gets in my house.I will still take her to a vet to get her checked out for my own peace of mind though but if it is incontinence I will just give her the meds. I want her that bad. We live in a small house but there is alot of love in it for her.Keep your fingers crossed for us I really want this big girl. Oh ya her name is Marnee.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:09:29 am »
Welcome home Marnee! Welcome Home!   We want pics!!!!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:39:48 pm »
Just onething from my experience. My bitch Betty is 3 years old and we had exactly the same problem - urine started to drip at the beginning just a bit, then it get worse and worse. Took her to the best vet hospital here - all the tests - nothing. Absolutely clear health list, so - incontinence after spay surgery. Started on hormones and all that - no results at all, it was all going worse.
So my vet suggested just to try out antibiotics - just in case! On the same day the dripping stopped and after she completed the course, it had not had back. No tests were showing any inflamation! 3 or even 4 seems too young for me to get incontinence, so remember my story, just in case if nothing else will be found.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline SHEL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 02:51:17 am »
Thanks for the info. I will remember it. Lets hope that things go well with Marnee.Started to buy dog supplies name tag that my boys picked out.collar,bowls etc and I am going to get a kennel for her also since she is use to sleeping in one,but as she gets use to us that might change. Any thoughts about the inplant with info on it? can't make up my mind on that one.I am not sure who is more excited me or the boys, hubby not really thrilled but he will ajust, but I am still not sure what food to get for her,any suggestions or should I just ask the vet?I know that I will need to gradually change her food that she is on now to a better quality and less calories due to her chubby ness.Thanks for helping me out. As you can tell I am a first timmer with her and i am starting out with a BIG girl but what can I say, I love Dobes!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:37:23 pm »
Congratulation s and welcome to BPO!  Can't wait to see some pics of Marnee!  Hopefully you can get the peeing thing worked out soon.  As for the food, check out Hollys Food Dissertation.. .Here is the link

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,9742.0.html

That Holly is one smart cookie, so you know that you'll only get the best advice on food from her.  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:39:59 pm »
OOH! I KNOW! I KNOW!

Our girl Mabel had spay incontinence. She dripped just a little bit. It was SUPER easy to get control of with some pretty inexpensive meds. I can't remember the names of all of them right now, but ask your vet if it could be spay incontinence. Its really no big deal and never broke our bank.

Offline SHEL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:17:33 pm »
Well Sat is the BIG day we get Marnee. It will be a big day for her I am sure. we will be giving her very first bath and then bringing her home. Got the reports from her former vet and it looks like she was fixed when she was in heat. I don't know much but i am pretty sure that is not good, vet is a farm vet.I will have her checked for a UTI again and other hormonal issues. Not trusting the report that she sent me.Vet said on report behavioral and hormonal and no test results listed. But I am still going to get her. Guess we will deal with what ever it is. Keep your fingers and paws crossed.I will let everyone know how things go.