Author Topic: Look what I found at the shelter....  (Read 12591 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Look what I found at the shelter....
« on: April 27, 2008, 06:05:01 am »
this poor boy's time is up. I am desperatly trying to make room for him but I don't think I am going to be able to... I have 17 here right now, and most of them are big guys.

Shelter had him listed as a shepherd/husky mix. He's definitely a young (prob around 5-6 months) pyr puppy and he's very scared. He's in the back of the photo. I couldn't get him to come to me. I am going back tomorrow to take him out and brush him and look him over. he has humongous paws.

everyone keep your fingers crossed I can find him a space before they refuse to hold him for me any longer.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Look what I found at the shelter....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:54:33 am »
Shawn, I haven't been around much (tons going on here), but I just checked in before going to bed and saw your post.   :'(  I'm sure that you probably have all of these contacts, so I hesitate to mention them, but do you know if NC Pyr Rescue has any room for him? 

www.clubs.akc. org/gpca/gresqcont.html

Poor puppy, he does look so scared (and so does that poor lab).  :(  What can we do to help?  I'll check this thread in the morning to see what's happening.

Marie
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:53:26 am »
I was at an event over the weekend and an all breed rescue mentioned to me that the Pyr Rescue is out of room for intakes. If you can pull him, PM me I live in Mt holly and can see what I can do as far as helping find a foster home or possibly permanent home for him.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:06:07 am »
I would foster him, but I am in Louivsille, Ky. If we can set up a transport, I'm more than willing to help out. (wor dof caution - I have 2 cats and 2 young kids also - so when you work with him today, check for any agression issues.)
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:29:39 pm »
He's at Gaston- I'm going to go and see him this afternoon if I can around noon. I'll pull him out and take some more pictures of him or maybe pull him if I think I can find a foster home for him. Really, I just need a place for him to go until Monday. If I can find somebody to take him until Monday I can take him back here- but I have to place some of these dogs, and right now they are all waiting on surgeries. Thursday six of them are getting spayed/neutered and I am holding for the weekend then their approved homes are picking them up on Monday. That means I will have plenty of room for him at that point, I just need someone to hold him for about a week.

I'll do a full temp test on him if I can get up there today-You are not far away from me at all in Mt. Holly- maybe 15-20 minutes. Email me if you are interested in coming to meet him and maybe foster- Shawn@adoptcarolina.com -

Yes, unfortunatly the pyr rescue is full on intakes as most of us are... what makes it worse is animal control has him listed as a shepherd mix so they are wary he's not a pyr. And who knows, he may not be PB, he may just LOOK like a pyr, but he really does to me. (What do you guys think, or is the pic too bad to tell) Also- hes so incredibly scared, when I first saw him he bolted for the back of the kennel and laid straight down and wouldnt look at me.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 01:02:36 pm »
He looks like a Pyr to me, either dirty or mixed with a Golden Retriever :) If he is a Pyr he looks more like 8-9 months but I can't tell as he is too far away in the picture :P Sorry, I am too far away to help but I really hope you find someone quickly :)
Good luck, Shawn! You are the best :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:38:43 pm »
hehhee, to me he looks like a Chow/Golden. I really see Chow in his face. (Cabeza has Chow, too, and his face reminds me of Cabeza)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:18:48 pm »
Looks like a Pyr to me.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »
He looks like a Pyr to me, too.  Poor guy, he knows that he's in a bad place, that's why he's staying away from that door.  :'(  Bless you, Shawn!  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 03:54:25 pm »
Where is he? I have a feeling not near me but I am in Ontario and could foster/find home, I am off for months of May and June.

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 05:06:08 pm »
Hmm...I just don't see Pyr! His ears stick out to the side, and his eyes are really close-set. He just has the same serious Chow look about him that Cabeza has. I guess its hard to see from the pic.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 07:05:40 pm »
I went and temp tested him today.. or tried to. I do think he is a mix, pyr and maybe golden, but definitely a lot of pyr. He looks just like a pyr except a bit in the face and he is a big big puppy. He's solid white also, no hint of color anywhere.

Bad news- he failed his temp test...miserab ly. In fact, he bit me. It took me 30 minutes to convince him to come out of the corner where he sat and growled at me. I refused to catch pole him, but just left him alone and didnt look at him and talked to him, and finally got him on a leash, but then he bolted forward and when the leash got taunt, he swung around and went to bite my arm. I got my arm up and spun out of the way and he caught my leg and I got three nasty punctures on my calf. Very bad too, and since he dosen't have a rabies shot that means A) I get to go for a rabies and tetnus shot again since I think its been too long since my last one, and B) I dont think I can convince animal control not to test him for rabies. Which..well yea you all know what that means.

Poor guy, I feel terrible for him. I really tried because i know he was just so horribly scared, but I don't think there's anything I can do, and they will not let any other rescue group near him for liability now.  :'(

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 07:10:32 pm »
Oh I am so sorry that it didn't work out. It is sor hard because I know you want to save them all  :'( At least you gave him a chance.

What about the lab mix that was with him?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 07:14:10 pm »
Lab mix was gassed this morning  :'( I hate this job sometimes.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 07:18:06 pm »
 :'( That is so sad. I almost wish I hadn't asked. He looked like such a sweet gentle pup  :'(

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)