Author Topic: Comfortis?? Any thoughts?  (Read 17346 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Comfortis?? Any thoughts?
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »
Hurray! Flea season.

>:( >:( >:(   YUCK!    >:( >:( >:(

I have been doing a bit of flea research (and more than I would actually care to know for that matter) and wondered if any of you have used the medication Comfortis?  Rosco has a flea allergy and using regular Frontline or even Advantage wont help as the fleas can still jump on him and will bite him before the poison will take effect.  That is where my problem is.  Our vet has recommended we use Comfortis but I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts or stories regarding the use of this flea treatment. So far after reading the insert from the packaging I haven't seen any side effects that would be harmful other than vomiting.  Any thoughts?
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Comfortis?? Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:51:27 pm »
In reading the manufactures website, they still have to bite him.  The only thing that i think would help is the daily spray from frontline. With the spray, it is on their coat, so they don't have to bite.  plus...frontli ne does ticks too, where comfortis does not.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:55:59 pm »
from the site: Comfortis' active ingredient is spinosad.
Spinosad kills susceptible species by causing rapid excitation of the insect nervous system. Due to this unique mode of action, Spinosad is valued in resistance management programs. Spinosad must be ingested by the insect, therefore it has little effect on sucking insects and non-target predatory insects. Spinosad is relatively fast acting. The insect dies within 1 to 2 days after ingesting the active ingredient and there appears to be no recovery

in my opinion if they do have a bad reaction it will be in the nervous system of the dog.  It is better in my opinion to use a topical which stays on the skin then for them to ingest something that kills something else.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 01:59:14 pm »
also found this one too...kind of concerning if you read the whole thing...  :-\
http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/_layouts/downloads/comfortis-product-label.pdf

how horrible: they used 6 week old puppies and gave 8 times the recommended dose to see the effets!!!!! i would NOT GIVE THIS...that makes me mad, little puppies. There is no need to give 8 times the amount.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:01:39 pm by jaz and titan »

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:09:57 pm »
We give our kitty a shot called "Program". He has a horrible flea allergy and this shot lasts several months.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:11:22 pm »
I'm so glad I asked you guys.  Thank you so much!  :D 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:24:44 pm »
i do know that capstar and program can be used togetehr

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 02:58:08 pm »
Bubba has a flea bite allergy too. I just use either Advantage or Revolution and during the summer months he's bathed before each application with Tar-ific medicated shampoo. Last summer the itching was minimal and no more hot spots.

Here's a link to the shampoo. http://www.dog-training.com/ppp.htm