Author Topic: To those that feed Orijen.. please read.  (Read 3097 times)

Lyn

To those that feed Orijen.. please read.
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:11:04 am »
I read on a couple other message boards about Orijen containing salmon bones. I finally got the lot numbers AFTER I bought a bag. ::)

Orijen responded to this here.. http://championpetfoods.com/charlie_letter.pdf

Just in case the link doesn't work...

""Q: WHY ARE THERE LARGER BONE FRAGMENTS IN SOME ORIJEN
PRODUCTS?

A: On March 6, 2008 Champion received a shipment of fresh salmon from our North Vancouver Island supplier of fresh salmon, herring and flounder. On this shipment our supplier experienced problems with the screens that separate bone fragments from the salmon meat. Unfortunately they
did not notify Champion about the problem and, as the bone fragments are small, they were not identified when the salmon was QC’d on arrival. The fresh salmon was subsequently used in the production of several
runs of ORIJEN.

Q: ARE ALL ORIJEN PRODUCTS AFFECTED?
A: NO, the affected lots are listed below and are associated with the above mentioned salmon shipment.
The affected lot numbers made with salmon containing larger bone fragments are:

ORIJEN 6 FISH DOG 82659
ORIJEN ADULT DOG 82660, 82664, 82665
ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE BREED 82662
ORIJEN PUPPY 82558
ORIJEN SENIOR 82661

Q: CAN THE BONE PIECES HARM MY DOG?
A: No. Although the bone fragments are unsightly they will not affect dogs. Dogs are actually evolved to easily consume much larger and sharper bones, and the small bone fragments will dissolve in their highly acidic stomachs (pH 1)!

Q: WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY ORIJEN HAS BONES IN IT?

A: We understand that our customers are not pleased to see larger bone fragments in their pet’s kibble. As ORIJEN is made from meats that have undergone minimum processing before arriving at our factory fresh, small fragments of bone are always present in ORIJEN kibble. At less than 2mm in size, these bone fragments are usually smooth, very small and pose absolutely no threat to either pet or person.
If your ORIJEN is among the lots listed above, you may find bone fragments that are larger than usual. If you are concerned about the larger bone fragments, the easy and fast solution of simply removing any kibble containing larger bone fragments from your pet’s bowl. If you do not wish to use the food, please contact our customer service for advise on how to exchange your ORIJEN product.""

I have a bag of the adult with lot number 82665. To be honest there isn't that many kibbles with bones in the bag I have. I found 8 kibbles and I shook the bag up and poured half of it out to find them. So I thought I'd post this just as a heads up kinda thing since it is easy to miss the bones if you are not looking for them.

Here's a pic of the 8 kibbles I've found so far.. A couple of them are quite sharp!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:12:40 am by Lyn »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: To those that feed Orijen.. please read.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:08:42 pm »
Thanks!! I have that same lot # so I will be on the lookout for bones. We're already half-way through the bag and I haven't noticed any yet.

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:55:30 am »
It's weird some bags are loaded with bones and others only have a few. I've found 35 kibbles now with bones ranging from kinda sharp to owwie sharp. :-\ I've just picking through their bowls and take those ones out.

There are people on other forums that are completely spazzing out about this. The only issue I had was that they didn't mention anything on their website about it. People started complaining and they put out the PDF, but I can't find the link to it on their website. I got it from another forum. ???
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:03:51 am by Lyn »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:52:07 am »
I found one in my cats food. The fish formula one not the regular one. I don't see why people are spazzing out about it. I just picked it out. Thanks for letting us know about it :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)