Author Topic: Lola's crackling knee.  (Read 4861 times)

Lyn

Lola's crackling knee.
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:29 am »
This is going back a bit, But Lola had injured her knee when she was a pup flying up the outside steps and hitting the metal railing while playing with Bubba. :( We went to the vet for an x-ray. The damage was minimal and she was put on pain meds and anti-inflammatories for a week. It healed up fine and the vet didn't foresee any future issues with it.

Well fast forward to the past couple weeks and now the previously injured knee is cracking and crunching. It's not bothering her and she's not limping on it but I called the vet and he recommended starting her on joint supplements. He mentioned vet supplements which cost an arm and a leg. So I figured I'd just buy them at the pharmacy. Which should I start her on? Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin, MSM? All of the above? Or anything else I should get? I also need help with dosage. Lola is around 130-140 pounds. 

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Lola's crackling knee.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:31:54 pm »
Butt had a limp forever and we could never find a reason for it.He had been a Glucosmaine and Chondroiton since I brought him home.After reading some old posts here and some other articles on the net about Vit C,I swicthed the pills they were getting.Now we use Osteo Bi-Flex or the store genereic equivilent.It has Glucosmaine,Chondroiton,MSM,Vit C plus some other stuff.Within a week his limp was gone and has not been back at all!!!!! I don't know it was 100% the pills or not.I also had 2 distance Reiki healing sessions on him in that week too. Both him(157 lbs) and Tub(126 lbs) get 2 pills a day.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:17:04 am »
Glad to hear Butt's limp is gone. I'll take a look and see if I can find Osteo Bi-Flex. Thanks! ;)

I talked to my hubby and I think we are going to x-ray her again when she goes in for her spay. Just to double check it. In the meantime, I'll start her on the supplements.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:35:14 pm »
Naja injured her knee in the same fashion when she was about 5 or 6 months old.  I've had her on Glucosamine/Chondroiton every morning since.  I buy a bottle of liquid either at the Health food store or Costco whichever is closer when I run out.  She was getting 1 tablespoon every morning in her breakfast, now she gets 2 mixed into her am kibble. 
I also had her X-rayed when she was spayed just to put my own mind at ease.  I think that's prob. a really good idea in your case too.  Here's hoping that Lola's X-rays come back clean.  :) :) :) :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »
I use the equine version  Arthrisoothe-Gold  1/2 scoop gives about 2000 mg, tastes good and a jar will last close to a year for about $60 - Much cheaper than buying it at the store.  It has glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit C and hyaluronic acid - all the good stuff i think it has MSM too but would have to check.  Its a powder and I just sprinkle it on their food. 

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 07:58:02 am »
Awesome thanks! I'll check the feed store. I think powder or liquid would be easier to get Lola to take.

I'm hoping the x-ray shows nothing. ;) I did check her knee lastnight and moved it back and forth, side to side. I couldn't get it to make any noise.  ??? But yesterday for a short time it was clicking with each step. I'm wondering now if she reinjured it.  :-\