Author Topic: recommendaton for hip and joint supplements.  (Read 5145 times)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
recommendaton for hip and joint supplements.
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:47:51 pm »
I want to start Kira and Gunner on hip and joint supplements.  the vet said Kira could be started at 1000mg of glucosamine and it wouldnt be a bad idea to get Gunner on one as well.
Neither of my  guys have any issues, I just want to help Kira as she ages and protect gunner's joints as he grows.
Any advice or recommendation s will be greatly appreciated.
BTW, they ae both on food that has glucosamine and chondrotin in it.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: recommendaton for hip and joint supplements.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:20:09 pm »

Yes - it is a great idea!  Assuming everyone on this entire board has large or giant breeds, then everyone here should be feeding glucosamine (and probably others as well).

Glucosamine is fundamental to the retention of cartiledge.  Because studies have shown that it is better at "retaining" rather than "rebuilding" - it must be started early and used preventatively .  Starting late in life, or once arthritis sets in is often futile.

All of my big dogs start on a glucosamine supplement at 4-5 months of age and for life.  They get lots of cartiledge in their raw bones, and a basic supplement if young or orthopedically sound.  Arthritic dogs here get Synflex and Wobenzym.  Once all of my dogs reach age 2 (and depending on what their OFA clearances indicate), they also go onto a joint lubricant to help with lubrication and synovial fluid as well (celadrin or hyaluronic acid).

I have found that with glucosamine and chondroitin along with a joint lubricant, all of my dogs can remain highly active and mitigate future arthritis that is inevitable for large dogs.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:34:26 pm »
wow. this was very informative -I had already researched some of this, but it's always good to get to know some more :D I will be starting Lucca on supplements in a couple of months -glucosamine and chondroitin, and salmon oild... and now, I guess a joint lubircant!  :P any brand recommendation s?
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:00:56 pm »
I don't do a lot of supplements, but my dogs all eat raw, whole mackerel at least 2 or 3 times a week, for a meal and they all eat 6 or 7 large, whole, chicken feet a day for the glucosamine and chondroitin in them.  All bone joints have cartilage in them, so they get that is every leg quarter, back, wing, neck, etc. that they eat.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:43:01 am »
Thanks!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak