Author Topic: Everyone!! Please meet my rare yellow australian shepherd.  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Thats him in my avatar...He might look familer- I have been mistakingly calling him a Golden Retriever for the last 2 and a half years.

Some jerk accosted me at petsmart this morning and wanted to know where I had gotten my blonde australian shepherd. When I told him Whiskey was a golden retriever, they guy argued with me, profusely, that he was too light to be a golden, and OF COURSE I was talking to a world famous australian shepherd breeder, and solid blondes were rare but he had one at home that was just about to pop with puppies. and obviously I had one, just look at the tail. The whole time he had this horrible looking backyard bred red aussie with blue eyes STRAINING on it's chain (yes, chain leash.) to get to Whiskey, and I mean scrabbling, barking, choking, coughing and spitting. The man was oblivous and didn't even look at his dog. So I calmly explained to the man that I was quite sure Whiskey was a golden retriever, that his tail was a birth defect, not docked, and that I honestly didn't think he looked anything like an australian shepherd, and I turned to walk away to get Whiskey away from the dog.

This is when Jerk number 1, turned to his buddy, jerk number 2, and said VERY loudly

"Can you believe this @#(*!@# idiot? She doesnt even know what kind of dog she has! Some people shouldn't be allowed to buy dogs."

So of course there was then a very fun argument where I introduced him to all of my thoughts about back yard breeders, rude rednecks who think they have a monopoly on canine knowledge, and horrible pet owners who have their dogs on CHAINS and can't control them worth a damn.

11:30 am and I can tell this is going to be a great day!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone!! Please meet my rare yellow australian shepherd.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:58:44 am »
Oh yes, you've got to love the morons in this world.  But I suppose we need them to keep us here at BPO amused.  I had the same thing happen to me with Sierra.  Keep in mind this was before she had her skin issues where she is pulling her hair out and she had a beautiful long thick Newfie coat coming in.  I was at Petco, Jeff was somewhere else in the store with our Black Lab, Magic, and some guy came up and commented on how I had the most beautiful Black Lab.  Black Lab?  Huh?  I said it was a Newf and he immediately looked down his nose at me and stated he has been breeding champion Labs for 10 years and he knows a Lab when he sees one.  Now I was already in a bad mood, and said "First of all, don't tell me what kind of dog I have.  I know what I bought.  Second of all, if you are breeding "champion" Labs with hair this long and jowls like this this, I'd like to know what kind of shows you are entering them in."  Then Jeff came over with Magic.  I pointed to Magic and said "This is a Lab and this is what they should look like.  Take a good look so maybe you'll actually know what you're talking about and not make a complete a$$ of yourself in the future"  Then as I turned around to walk away and said "Breeder my a$$".  I'm pretty sure he heard it too.

I can't deal with stupidity.  It's one of my biggest pet peeves.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:00:32 am »
Isnt it amazing how many "knowledgable" dog people are out there.  Good for you for putting him in his place. Jerk!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:02 am »
Don't you stress too much. There's a lot of "DUMB" going around out there.  :P And good for you!!!!! For putting the Idiot in his/their place.

So far as color goes ~ the Jerk should do a little research before running off at the mouth.

http://www.4source.com/staff/staffindex.shtml

Suzanne (click on Suzanne Birks - she's awesome!) has been raising top Goldens for many years. Note the one on the Source Plus container. Also one of her many Champions. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to educate this Fool ~ but then ~ he'd  have of have the mental capacity to absorb the knowledge. I doubt he does.

GOOD FOR YOU!

modified because I goofed on the site addy :-\ Now I'm the dummy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:30:19 am by marypyrs »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:48:21 am »
Oh and a really big Springer Spaniel  - Ha Ha Ha - my husband loved our springer maybe I can sneak a landseer in and tell him it is an oversized springer ;D

Harley is a flat coated retreiver and believe me even when I tell people what he is they still look at me like I have 3 heads - but I did have one person talk to me quite sternly about how little I must feed that emaciated lab!!

Randy and her starving pup Harley

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:26 am »
 :D HAHAHA!!! :D "Springer on steroids"! ;D Too funny!

I've been told I have white Newfies!  :-\ Go figure. ???

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:10:07 pm »
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Shame on you, Shawn. You're up to your eyeballs in rescue and you don't even know what kind of dog you have!!! ROFLMAO!!! What a dumb @ss that guy was!! Aw, I feel sorry for his poor aussies. Or, where they "rare calico goldren retrievers"???
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:20:53 pm »

I've been told I have white Newfies!  :-\ Go figure. ???

When I was at the dog park the other day, some lady asked me if miles was a newfoundland, and I caught her stupidity on tape, because I was filming a video of miles while she was talking to me. hahaha I get that all the time.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:29:09 am »
we have a rare jumbo white dalmation and titan last i heard was at the dog show..he was a st. bernard, rottie, and a bully too...he was also called a massive..not mastiff...but i guess it is a new breed called massive....and then there is the mass Tif too...

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 11:59:50 am »
A Massive?  LOL!  At least when people refuse to believe Sierra is a Newf, they at least mistake her for an actual breed!

And Melissa - I'm so dumb!  All this time I thought you had Newfies!  After seeing your crew, I have to admit Iabsolutely love Norwegian Cheesehounds!  Where can I get one???  ;D ;D ;D
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 05:15:42 am »
Yesterday, a guy who saw me walking Sammy asked if he was "part Himalayan Mountain Dog," by which I assume he meant Tibetan Mastiff?? But he wasn't mean about it or anything- seemed proud of himself that he had "recognized" my dog! So I said, no, he's a Bernese Mountain Dog, which I'm sure made the guy think he was at least pretty close with his guess. Maybe, after all, he was thinking of that rare breed, the Burmese Mountain Dog! Because Burma is kind of in the same part of the world as the himalayas...

And then he said "gosh, he's going to gain another 60 pounds or so, isn't he??" Good lord, I don't think so. He weighs 85 already. hahaha.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:24:14 am »
WAY TO GO!!! I am so glad you put him in his palce....those REDNECKS!!
People have mistaken Titan for a Great Dane or Bull Mastiff I tell people he's my "Ferocious crazy man-eating lion dog"  :o  :o LOL  :D
My neice calls; actually yells; it as her and Titan chase each other around the back yard!