Author Topic: Soft Puppy Poop  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Teddy Boy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Soft Puppy Poop
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:07 am »
Hello,

I just received my St. Bernard puppy from a breeder in California (I live in NY). His poop is extremely soft and watery sometimes. I have tried feeding him some rice and yogurt to help solidify it a little and it has not worked as planned. Any suggestions??? He is making quite a mess of the yard and the house!

Thanks! ;)
Nicole- Mom to Theodore (Teddy) a St. Bernard

marypyrs

Re: Soft Puppy Poop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:25 am »
Awwww! Poor Puppy. First thing I would do is call his Breeder. Did he come with a few days supply of his usual food and instructions of feeding? Sometimes just the stress of travel can play a part. As well as different water.

#1 - Call the Breeder. They will most likely be there to help with any and all questions and problems.

#2 - Holly! Are you there? (She's the Guru of feeding guidlines.)

#3 - What type of yogurt are you giving him. I use Dannon plain & all natual.

#4 - Potato - boiled with skin (I use organic red) and smushed & added to food will help the runs & tummy in general.

#5 - Lots & Lots of HUGS and a GREAT BIG WELCOME to BPO.

#6 - Pictures are a MUST!  ;) :D

Offline 2newfymom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:10:29 pm »
If you can't get this under control in a few days, have him checked for Coxsidia (unsure of spelling, sorry).  This is a hard-to-detect bacteria that can be picked up by puppies and dogs with vulnerable immune systems.  Because the bacteria tend to stick in the intestines rather than be expelled in stool, it's hard to diagnose.

We had this happen with a Newf rescue we got from a shelter.
Molly had constant soft bowels and diarrhea, so I asked our vet to treat her for Coxsidea even though we couldn't detect it in her stools.  Cleared up within 3 days.

You do want to keep an eye on things so your pup doesn't get dehydrated.

Offline Teddy Boy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:59:41 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

The breeder actually told us to call the vet, which I would do except that they are closed for the holiday. The breeder didn't send any food with the pup and since he lives in California, they don't even sell the food he suggested that we buy. The little guy is acting alright, and doesn't appear to feel sick, so hopefully I can get him into the vet tomorrow. I'm off to buy some red potatoes!

Thanks for your help! ...and I got his pic up ;D
Nicole- Mom to Theodore (Teddy) a St. Bernard

marypyrs

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:22:54 pm »
AWWAHHHHH! He's the Sweetest Boy! What a Doll Baby!

I'm sure everything's gonn'a be alright. It will be quite an adjustment coming from one coast to another.

Maybe do the potato thing with Chicken Broth (Swanson's low fat low sodium unless you cook it up yourself) and some ground chicken.

OMG!!! What a Sweet and Beautiful Boy!!!! I can't wait to see more of him. He's a "Tug At The Heart" Fella! That's for sure!

I'm so glad you joined us! Welcome Teddy Boy!!  :-*

Jane