Author Topic: A lengthy update...  (Read 7617 times)

bigdogs@5501

A lengthy update...
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:48:02 pm »
Well I said about a week ago that I wanted to be able to get on BPO some more- yea right. I also said no more dogs this week- and well that hasnt exactly panned out for me either-
So lets start with May 2 or 3. I drove to Arkansas and got Mandy the little 4 month old Pyrenees who was in a kill shelter- she was one of the lucky ones- she got out- so many didnt. I think that she is part tasmanian devil- she has a temper that we have been working on- we call them Mandy moments. Mandy will get so mad her little eyes cross and then she lashes out. Seems that there was a little boy in her life previously and well we think that he must have teased her a lot. She is a sweet little girl though and when she is tired at nite- she wants to crawl in your lap so that you can hold her- she and Piglet are becoming buds- and Mandy loves to play in the kiddie pool.
Then I picked up a 7 week old pup that got so sick he was on IV's at the vets office for a couple of days, (he has now been adopted out) the following week I had to take one of our older rescues in and send her to the bridge- she was having grand mal seizures- it was an extremely tough decision to make. That very same week (which was last week actually) I had to take the Anatolian to be treated for HW's, so you see- I was not going to have a  major dog week, this week- I was in overload.....
Well then it gets interesting- I got an email at 3:55 yesterday afternoon- there were 14 English Mastiffs with about 2 1/2 hours to live- they had been confiscated in some type of a raid earlier that day and since they were relinquished- there was not any extended time for them. The town where they were located is about 5 hours from me- I committed to taking all of them and then had to find someone to pull them-luckily I know some wonderful people in that town and immediatly got some help. There was 2 adults, 6 adolescents and 6 infants (4-8 weeks old)all pure bred English Mastiffs from one of "those" unscrupulous breeders.
By the time the group for me went to pull, the babies and one mom had been pulled and one of the adolescent males also went to another rescue group- I had sent another foster from up in this area to the city where they were located and they ended up bringing back five little girls who are about six months old and a older female who had just been worn out from breeding.
I have brought one of the little girls back home with me- I have a wonderful adoption application pending for her now. She is shy and skittish and just not sure about how to act- but she is also beautiful. The others are all in foster and one of the little girls has a tumor on her side. Our vet will be very busy next week with spays and medical care.
OH and then yesterday morning- we found a 4-5 week old border collie puppy in a ditch while driving to work... I am trying to over come my desire to keep her and make her my agility dog.... say a prayer to keep me strong.

In addition to that, I have a Pyr that I am fostering until we can get him to Tennessee, I will add another foster to the group for an over nite on Tuesday and we have pulled a pyrenees/golden mix from another kill shelter- we think that he may need eye surgery for the ingrown eye lashes- this was something that we had not counted on- but the shelter workers do what they can to get them off of death row, so even if they knew what was wrong, they didnt want to disclose that info.
I am going to post some pics of the little Mastiff princess, the border collie baby, Mandy in the pool and of course the Piglet who is still one of the sweetest pyr babies ever ( but then again all of the famous six will be special in my heart for the rest of my life)
Enjoy the pics- I hope that I didnt bore you guys and I really do miss BPO

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Re: A lengthy update...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:10:38 pm »
Wow!  How do you do it, you're amazing.  I wish you the best of luck in finding them all good homes.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:32:10 pm »
Oh Sweet Piglet! You've gotten so BIG!  :-*  :-* You're such a beautiful girl! Tell your Mom that she can send you my way any old day. (Fat Chance of that! :-\  ;))

Mandy's a Love, Paige. The BC puppy - ohhhhh - so cute! And the "MP" (Mastive Princes) wow. Hope someone on BPO brings that sweetiepie into the fold.

I'm exhausted just reading your adventures of the past few days. You are Amazing Paige!

I've miss your posts SO MUCH!! I wish I had just a fraction of your spunk,drive, and dedication. You're one very special young woman.

HUGS!!  :-*  :-*  :-*

Jane & The Crew
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:34:04 pm by marypyrs »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:31:03 am »
Lady, where do you get the energy??  You really are amazing, but I'm sure that it's the grateful furry faces & the kisses that keep you going.  I truly believe that they know how lucky they are to be saved and that they have some memory of the other's in the shelter that weren't so lucky. Poor Mandy, I wonder if the "Mandy moments" are in part due to those memories, too.  Poor baby....  :'(  For months after Sammy came home to us he was really somber & quiet.  In time, he's become more bouncy & happy.  I've often thought that he was a bit haunted by memories.  Thank you, thank you for saving Mandy, pretty Miss Piglet  ;D, the little BC, the golden pyr, the mastiffs and everyone else.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:32:14 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:27:42 am »
GREAT JOB!!! I am sleepy after reading that; what a couple of weeks you have had...your are the wonderwoman of dog rescues! Someone despreatly needs to make you a costume possibly with a cape! Good luck on finding homes for all those little guys....if I was closer I would help!!
2 BIG PAWS up!!!
Adrienne

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:21:51 am »
Good Job!!!! Good Job!!!!

I am in awe. 
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:58:03 am »
I want to reply to say how AWESOME you are with a ton of praises.  I'm just so exhausted though from reading about your hard work.  WOW!  KUDOS to you for being the angel that you are.  Good luck with all the pups and to you. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:50 am »
You're an incredible inspiration Paige.  God bless -- and your updates are always welcome!  :-* :) :D
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:30:55 pm »
I am sure that all of you would do the same for the dogs- I am just in the position in life that I have raised the kids and now I am turning my attention to the pups.

The newest update. Not so sure on the applicant for the OEM so if anyone is interested let me know, I am starting to really get smitten with her.

The Border Collie pup is going to her new home tomorrow-a family who has adopted from me before and she is still destined to be an agility dog.

Mandy has not had any Mandy moments at all today, so it was a good day.

I have a grown female Mastiff coming to me tomorrow- I had no idea that there were so many that needed rescue and so few rescues that are Mastiff specific. I have a home for her next week.

I am going to foster and Akita until the 16th, she was adopted out and then ended up in the shelter, not in the best of shape, but thank goodness she had a micro chip, she will be making her journey back to another state to her original rescuer and someone who will love her. This will be my first Akita experience. She is suppose to be a super sweet girl who gets along well with others, cross your fingers because I have too many "others" to incite any riots.

I can no longer get into CHAT- it may be my computer- not sure, but I just ordered a new lap top from Dell - so I will again try to join the group once the lap top is delivered.

Again if anyone is interested in the Mastiff, let me know- I have temporarily named her Chloe- Lori2m is in charge of coming up with a name for her- Lori2m is not so crazy with my naming abilities-(whats wrong with Piglet and Tugboat?? HA HA HA HA HA she keeps me entertained. So this one is on her...

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:19 pm »
I love the name Chloe!!!  But going along with Piglet, how about Charlotte?? :D  I wish I could take her, I would in a minute!!!!  Good luck.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

lorim2

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:37 pm »
Ok..let me just say that Chloe is news to me!!  Last time we spoke on the phone a few hours ago it was "Buffy"  Chloe I like..Buffy not so much!  Either way she is a sweetheart!  I am going to post a couple of good shots I got of her too!!

angelsmama

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:24:14 pm »
Ok..let me just say that Chloe is news to me!!  Last time we spoke on the phone a few hours ago it was "Buffy"  Chloe I like..Buffy not so much!  Either way she is a sweetheart!  I am going to post a couple of good shots I got of her too!!

oh shes gorgeous, english?? i dont 100% know the mastiffs  :-\

katie

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:17:35 am »
How is Corbyn doing?

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »
Let me explain the Buffy name- short for Buffalo girl because she came charging at me like a herd of Buffalo and literally knocked me out of my sandals when she connected.... but Chloe is starting to stick.
Piglet will just always be piglet, it was her baby name and by the time she was 4 weeks old she knew her name as Piglet, we have learned a lesson on names with that one.

I havent heard from Dawn about Corbyn this week- but she is so busy with school since it is the end of the year.

Holly I could call her Princess Load, that would also fit- also she has discovered that she prefers to lounge her loady princess butt on the futon and PLEASE do not wake her before 6AM. She cant seem to manage to pull herself up at such an awful hour to take care of business.

Yes she is an English Mastiff- most likely very poorly bred- not her fault and we wont hold it against her-
She has discovered that it is so much fun to run with grass under her feet. The other babies are also experiencing the big world and grass so its a good week for some Mastiffs.

marypyrs

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
I love the name Buffy!

My Teddy had a Bison once upon a time - actually a Beefalo - Buffalo and Longhorn Cow - we saved her from slaughter at an Auction down in Mora. After working out the kinks and her quirks she became quite a lovely pet. (Well, kind'a) I can see where you got the name. But Cloe is a good name too.

I'm thinking Holly would be a great new Momma for her.  :)