Author Topic: Toys of steel?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Toys of steel?
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:06:58 pm »
Okay, so somehow I was blessed with a dog that can bend steel with his jaws. Seriously, he can destroy anything. He absolutley HATES kong toys - if I stuff food in there he will play with it for a monute then let it go. HE loves soft animals - but tears them up. He loves rope toys, but tears them up.. he likes edible bones, but can demolish them in less than 5 minutes. I can't keep anything in the house that he can play with. I am so jealous of those homes with the basket full of toys. My basket has maybe 2 things in it at a time! Anything I bring home is torn to shreds in minutes! The only thing I have found is a hollowed out bone with baked in stuff inside. Problem is... he is HIGHLY allergic to beef. He smells it and breaks out into a rash. Most of those bones are beef bones. So... I am in need of help! Anyone have the same problem and what toys or bones have you found to be great? (Lord knows I am tired of spending 8 bucks on a Nylabone and watch it disappear in less than 4 minutes flat).
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Re: Toys of steel?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:17 pm »
Is it just the Kong itself or does he dislike all rubber?  We've been through a lot since our puppy days with Bo (and his ongoing adolescence), but I was just remarking to my husband that two toys have made it through.  One was a rubber tire attached to a rope.  The rope has long since went, but the tire is still in great shape and he still carries it around.  The other was a dumbbell made out of tennis-ball like material.  The outside is long gone, but it's still here two years later.

Other than that - I feel your pain.  We had one stuffed animal that he must have been attached to as he didn't actually rip it to shreds like the others (to my husband's great shame it was a pink elephant, he kept saying, "Why didn't he fall in love with the green bear?!?!"), but I accidentally ran it over with the lawn mower one day and that was the end of that love story.  He still likes the softies, so we regularly buy and replace ropes.  He carries them around like treasures and uses them to tease and entice his sister into playing with him.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:19 pm »
Hmmm, I feel your pain!! Is he allergic to Bison as well? Phelan can chew through just about anything but I have learned some tricks to slow him down....Kongs are only good stuffed, but frozen stuffing at least takes time to get through...If you want to buy those dentabone treats, buy the very largest one and freeze it, i wouldn't recommend allowing him to eat it all in one go though, half and then back in the freezer...froz en Bison shank bones available at a good pet store, i think ours comes in lamb as well but too small for Phelan :(...the big tire, it starts to get destroyed immediately but lasts a couple days until total annihilation occurs...This one use at your own discretion--new toy I found, designed to be used as a fetch toy, not recommended by manufacturer for chewing--best chew toy I've found so far!! It's a solid rubber hammer. It comes in a softer wrench and paintbrush shape but the hammer lasts a couple of months and is well loved :-*
Coconuts are also great, just be careful if your guy swallows stuff as the hair on it is fairly long.

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:20:31 am »
I feel your pain... I don't have a cool toy box either, I've found that if Ross can't destroy it in 5 minutes, he's not interested...o f course, unless it used to be alive...Totall y different story!

What I did to keep the pits happy and active was I got a motorcycle tire and filled the inside rim with balls, treats, rattler things, and whatever else...kept them busy for days!  Initially the cost is kinda high, but in the long run it lasts... The dogs usually don't care for the actual tire, they want whatever's inside.  I just take anything they get out and put it back in... Hope this helps!