Author Topic: frontline...i think it needs its own post  (Read 10095 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
frontline...i think it needs its own post
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:28 pm »
I talked to merial from frontline today... i don't know about everyone here...but we have mainly ticks here....not really the fleas. So i talked to them about the difference between top spot and plus. The difference is nothing really...yes there is an extra drug in the plus, but they do the exact same thing....one is not stonger than another... just an fyi...it is a money maker like everything else in this world!

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: frontline...i think it needs its own post
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
also if your dog weighs more than 132 or is 10-15 pounds heavier than the dose you are using they say to use the one for the dogs weight plus the next size down too..... I don't know if i want to go this route though! So i need to get titan the 88-132 then i need to get the 30-50 or whatever that size is.... that is double doseing in my mind and i don't know if i want to go there...would you?

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:30:26 pm »
i've heard k9 advantix is safe to double dose. i was reading on their site and it said they gave PUPPIES 5x the normal dose with no reactions. i'm not sure if front line is like that though.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:21:04 am »
i just called k9 advantex and it they said that it takes 72 hours to kill ticks...the lyme tick (deer tick) has to be attached for 72 hours.  Advantex takes longer to work...which can bee an issue for a dog who does not have lyme.  just an fyi!!!

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:45:45 am »
Marley is weighing 195 always give or take 5 lbs. We have always given the big one plus the one size down.  Works well and have never had any problems.  I can remember when he was 150ish we would do the big and then the small one.  Hes always done well. 

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:06:30 am »
I used to rave about frontline.  Then last year I noticed it wasn't working very well.  I tried it two months ago and I may have well had not given the dogs anything!  So I got advantage this time, it worked for maybe two weeks.  They are covered again!!  Luckily I don't have carpet so as long as I keep their blankets washed I don't have a problem in the house YET.  I was actually going to take them to be dipped today, I got some stuff to put on the yard yesterday and I'm going to order some DE since I can't find it anywhere around here!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:25:03 am »
I've never had a problem with fleas up here (too cold?) but OH the TICKS!!! AUGGGGG!!!!

The FL+ has worked well so far but it does take 48 hrs. I'm anxiously waiting for my order of the Play Dead Herbal Collars. I ran that by my Vet & he agrees it's a good extra precaution. Last year was horrible for animals with Lyme in this area.

Hope everyone remembers not to use the ProMeris!

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:31:29 am »
what i am trying to say though is that frontline topspot and frontline plus are the same thing...they do the same thing just a diffferent cost. Topspot kills fleas and eggs too..and plus does too...there is no difference except cost. That is what merial said when i called the 800 number on the back. If you don't have fleas around, plus is pointless... ::)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:33:50 am »
Oh yeah.  Apparently advantage and advantix are basically the same too.  Why not use promeris, I hadn't heard anything.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:44 am »
Hi,

I am using FL, the Play dead herbal, some Diamateous earth on Winslow coat when in the woods, plus i'll start spraying Off or Skin so soft, or some misquito repellent on him while camping (I spray that stuff on me and I am still breathing) He still gets ticks, he has been tested (last week) and No LYME ;D so far. 

So try whatever you thinks and Check the pup's often and get a fine comb and comb them after walking the woods.

Dogs get ticks, it stinks, but we can't stop them being dogs!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

marypyrs

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 08:15:18 am »
Why not use promeris, I hadn't heard anything.

We were notified by Judith Stroh Miller a few months ago about the horrific side effects to the pets AND their Humans. I'll find the original message and post it here. (My files are still kind of goofed up)

You can also Google ProMeris and find info from previous users who've gone through H*** with it.

There's no way on Earth I would ever take a chance with this stuff. 

Modified to add "Stroh" to Judith Miller. Not to be confused with Judith Miller - Journalist -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:21:08 am by marypyrs »

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
http://www.promeris.com/ProMeris_com_Response.pdf      here ya go...the mistakes of promeris..from promeris

marypyrs

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:56:35 am »
- - then there's this - go to snopes.com & search word Promeris. Click on links.

Also the Cafepharma blog  :-[

Drug Companies will SELDOM if ever admit the error of their ways. Fortdodge is no different. I could not care less if a product is approved by USDA, FDA, EPA, = $ talks. Unfortunatly. Considering that the warning was put out by GPCA speaks volumes to me. After all. We're not concerned about market value. We're concerned about our dogs. IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:25:34 am by marypyrs »

chaosndestruction

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21:19 am »
I just wanted to add that you should also switch up the flea protection from time to time (as in not only the brand but main ingredient). Fleas like other parasites can build up immunities to one if you continually use the same one. We always switch back and forth between Advantage and Frontline and we have no problems here (except my moms small dog who's allergic to advantage).

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:05:09 pm »
 This link was on a St Bernard discussion list I am on. I found it to be quite informative. Personally, I've had the best results from Advantage alternated with Frontline Plus (when going into a tick area) and always used in the weight appropriate dose.
        "Poisons on Pets Article"
http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/pets/execsum.asp

Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"