Author Topic: Finally!! Some relief!  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Finally!! Some relief!
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:17 pm »
I love my vet!  I love my vet!  I love my vet!

It looks like we may have FINALLY found the answer to Sierra's skin issues.  The new vet I have found, who is now my permanant vet, thought it was allergies or skin mites that was causing her to itch so badly.  We tried treatment for allergies and Cece seemed to get better.  She had been given a script for a week's worth of Prednisone and as soon as she was off of it she was back at it, scratching herself raw.  The vet actually called to check on her after that week.  I was floored when she did that.  I thought she was calling because my check bounced or something.  LOL!  Anyway, she said to get her back in right away for a Mitoban dip for skin mites.  What a difference!!!!  No scratching!  Absolutely NONE!  Dr. D said it might creep back after a week or two and Cece may need up to four treatments.  She did start itching a little more after two weeks, but nothing even close to what it was.  She got her second treatment yesterday.  Hopefully it will be her last since she responded so quickly to the first one.

Even though her hair is clipped really short, you can tell it's starting to come in already.  It's not as sparse and thin as it was before.  There are no more scabs all over her body, she doesn't smell anymore from the imbalance of yeast on her skin, no more skin infections and the big bald patch on her throat is actually starting to grow hair again, as is all of her bald patches.  YAY!!!!  I'm so happy I could cry.  I have my sweet, lovable, playful Newfie back and not the miserable itchy mess I have gotten used to over the last 9 months.

Even though the vet had to give her a really bad hair cut,  ;D, I'm going to send her a thank you card and a picture of a very happy Sierra to put up on the picture board in her office.  Jeff said she was just doing her job, but she did more than just help my dog feel better.  She made me feel better by understanding my feelings for my dog and didn't just dismiss or ignore my concerns and stress.  She AT LEAST deserves a thank you card!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:24:28 pm by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

marypyrs

Re: Finally!! Some relief!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:51:14 pm »
HERE'S TO ALL THOSE FANTASTIC VETS OUT THERE THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE!!!!  :-*  :-*

I have one myself that I wouldn't trade for all the Gold In China! Or anything else for that matter.

So glad your Babe is feeling better.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:14 pm »
That is great news.  It's very nice that your new Vet did care enough to check.  I'd say that's for sure a keeper!  I'm so glad your pup is not so itchy. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:01:25 pm »
That is great that Sierra's issues have been resolved!!
We love our vet to the ends of the earth and back as well.
SOO glad you found someone you can trust and that really listens and cares.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »
That is fantastic news...what a relief for you !!!